Crank Yankers & Killer Puppets Coming To Canada!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
From the CTV.ca Media Site:

KILLER PUPPETS, CRANK YANKERS AND JON STEWART LIVE KICK OFF THE COMEDY NETWORK’S FIFTH ANNIVERSARY SEASON

October 5 Roy Thomson Hall Gala Celebrates 5 Years of Laughs on TCN

Comedian Jon Stewart will headline a comedy gala at Toronto’s Roy Thomson Hall on October 5 to celebrate The Comedy Network’s fifth anniversary and upcoming season. And the celebration continues when The Comedy Network presents its best season ever (cue echo effect and music sting) with six new original shows - including the highly anticipated series PUPPETS WHO KILL - as well as the hit prank phone call comedy CRANK YANKERS.

---------------------

Whoo hoo! This means all us Canucks finally get to see "Crank Yankers" and the full season of John Pattison's "Puppets Who Kill."

FYI, "Puppets Who Kill" is produced by Radical Sheep Productions, which was founded by Rob Mills who played Junior Gorg ("fraggle"), Ludo ("Labyrinth") and Donatello ("TMNT II"). Many of the Radsheep folks are ex-Muppet puppeteers and builders and John Pattison was also a puppeteer on "Fraggle Rock."

Hopefully our American friends will get to check out "Puppets Who Kill" sometime soon in the US!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Thanks for the news, Buck! Be lookin' when I visit the north.

- Billy :cool:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
That is interesting...what is "Puppets Who Kill"? I mean, I know what Crank Yankers is, and hopefully it won't be like that...I have to hope good things, being there are ex-Muppeteers involved :smile:

-Matt

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've only seen the pilot, but it's set in halfway house. Dan Redican (also a "Fraggle" alumni) is a counsellor trying to rehabilitate puppets with severe problems (emotional, violent, sexual, etc.). It's very wicked and very adult.

I understand they did some tweaking after the pilot was shot. When I was at the Radical Sheep Shop last fall the buzz on the show was very good.

I'll be watching!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit to the side of "puppets are for children". I'll be watching as well though, thanks for the info Buck! :smile:

-Matt

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppets? Just for children? I know alot of people who'd like to whack you upside the head with a foam bat for that one Cantus! Sheesh! :stick_out_tongue:

Anyways, John Pattison (who created the show) is a hilarious puppeteer, very funny stand-up and does stuff mostly for adults. I saw his stage version of "Puppets Who Kill" years ago here in Toronto and it was great so I have high hopes for it!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well whatever is whatever, everyone thinks different. I know people who think cartoons should be strictly for kids and that I disagree with strongly (The Critic, is amazing). Anyway,

It seems interesting, but then again I don't like Crank Yankers so I just don't know what to think. I guess I'll have to wait for the US release before disclosing any thoughts (or any more feelings on the nature of puppets, hehe)

-Matt

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I agree with Cantus,

I think people who do cartoons and puppets in a non family friendly way on television do a great disservice to children and decent parents everywhere. Kids are really drawn in to puppets and will want to watch it. It means mom or dad has to lay down the law and some kids will try to watch it anyway, blah blah blah.

People who produce these things know that the target audience that will want to watch this. I really question their motivation.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I disagree with the statement "Puppets are for children". I always have been. I'm glad that people are doing these Crude, Gross, and sick puppet shows, because it shows a lot of people that puppets really aren't just for children. I work on a local bible kids show here in Oregon called "The Puppet Parade". It's a cute, corny little kids show that tells bible stories, and etc.....Anyway..The other day we were filming and one of the producers said "Have you seen Crank Yankers? It's terrible! I think puppets should be just for kids!!". So some people think that puppets really are for kids. People think this because there have been more "Kid" puppet shows than "Adult" puppet shows i guess.

Sir Didymus

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sir Didymus
I disagree with the statement "Puppets are for children". I always have been. I'm glad that people are doing these Crude, Gross, and sick puppet shows, because it shows a lot of people that puppets really aren't just for children. I work on a local bible kids show here in Oregon called "The Puppet Parade". It's a cute, corny little kids show that tells bible stories, and etc.....Anyway..The other day we were filming and one of the producers said "Have you seen Crank Yankers? It's terrible! I think puppets should be just for kids!!". So some people think that puppets really are for kids. People think this because there have been more "Kid" puppet shows than "Adult" puppet shows i guess.

Sir Didymus
See, my thinking is that puppets that are for kids should also be enjoyable to adults, like the Muppets. I think that the crude vulgarities that Crank Yankers displays is just stupid, and I don't think puppets should be used for it. If you want to entertain adults with puppets, make it family entertainment (IMHO)

-Matt