Creating Doglion Puppet/Costume

TommyTheMad

Reaction score
After watching season 2 of the Muppet Show, and seeing the episodes with Cloris Leachman, and Madeline Kahn, I saw this full body muppet named Doglion. It is the coolest character, and reminds me of both my cat Bob, and the Maurice Sendak monsters from Where the Wild Things are.

I'm going to make a full costume, just having a heck of a time finding the fur for it. It's really long craft hair, and it's apparently impossible to get locally. Any ideas?

I bought the Foam Book from Amazon for a steal, and am looking forward to crafting this costume for probably what will be the most legendary of practical jokes.

Any tips on where to get craft hair would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Actually , Dog Lion is covered in Real Fur, i belive its a long Haired LAmbs wool, or Alpaca,

TommyTheMad

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with National Fiber, and they're going to send me some samples. The customer service is AWESOME.

I highly recommend them.

I am going to be so tickled to get this costume started.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
They are great at NAtional Fiber , but that is going to be a very expensive costume, lots of work to make it look just like Doflion, I wish you good luck

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
I had a feeling it might be Alpaca. Lambs Wool would be curlier.
some lambs wool can be very straight, sheep woll when its combed out isnt as curly as you might think, but using that sort of fur would be very heavy since it has a Skin, or leather backing , its not a woven fabric like synthetic fur

Blink

Reaction score
They are great at National Fiber , but that is going to be a very expensive costume, lots of work to make it look just like Doflion, I wish you good luck
I was going to say the exact same thing. Unless someone else is paying for it I would not personally build such a large puppet with fur from National Fiber. Their fabrics are great (amazing 4 way stretch), but the prices are steep.

I too wish you the best TommyTheMad and I would love to see the results. It is doable.

spcglider

Reaction score
Tommy,

Gordon here. (I've known Tom for years, folks)

The two members above are voices to listen to for puppet building advice. There are more, but these two are puppet builders par excellance, so watch their posts. They're a veritable library of knowledge.

-G

CBPuppets

Reaction score
This Character must have been based on Jim Henson's Earlier creations. But that's just my Guess. any one's guess is as good as mine.

ploobis

Reaction score
After watching season 2 of the Muppet Show, and seeing the episodes with Cloris Leachman, and Madeline Kahn, I saw this full body muppet named Doglion. It is the coolest character, and reminds me of both my cat Bob, and the Maurice Sendak monsters from Where the Wild Things are.

I'm going to make a full costume, just having a heck of a time finding the fur for it. It's really long craft hair, and it's apparently impossible to get locally. Any ideas?

I bought the Foam Book from Amazon for a steal, and am looking forward to crafting this costume for probably what will be the most legendary of practical jokes.

Any tips on where to get craft hair would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey Man'

Good luck with the Doglion costume! Are you gonna make the mouth work like a puppet?

Be sure to send us pictures of him when you start working on him. :smile: