Creature Shop's Monkey to debut with Johnny Vegas for UK ad campaign

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Creature Shop's Monkey to debut with Johnny Vegas for UK ad campaign
Courtesy of Digital Spy

ITV Digital has signed up a new comedy duo to front its launch advertising campaign.

Johnny Vegas, who has a one-man show at comedy festivals at home and abroad, and Monkey, from Muppet-makers The Jim Henson Creature Shop.

Smart guy Monkey plays the voice-of-reason to Johnny's naïve character Al. The Al and Monkey comedy pair will feature in a series of TV commercials and billboards, revolving around their home life and viewing habits. The two are seen in their favourite chairs in front of the telly, snacking on crisps and popcorn. Basically, two normal people watching television.

The nationwide campaign will include widespread billboard sites and high rotation TV spots, to launch on 11 July and has been created by advertising agency Mother.

"I watch so much telly, this was an unmissable opportunity to be part of a major TV event," said Johnny.

"It took time getting used to being upstaged by a monkey but, I'm not precious. You have to take it on the chin when you are in the presence of talent. Monkey has a great attitude. He’ll be able to handle fame with style."

Jeremy Dale, Sales and Marketing Director for ITV Digital, said: "We wanted an engaging campaign to launch ITV Digital and we are confident that this hilarious double act will become a firm favourite with the public.

"Ultimately, it is the freshness, humour, honesty and simplicity of the ads that perfectly express our attitude and approach to our business and our customers."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds3323.html

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

Sometimes you watch a Henson creature, And you dont even know it - LOL!

The same thing happened to me with Flat Eric.

see ya

Luke

Reaction score
Phillip,

This news is at least two years old, ITV Digital is bankrupt now. It was a great ad campaign though and i never knew it was a Creature Shop puppet. You could actually buy the puppets here in a promotion.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The article came up as new today. I figured out why though... I think he is making a comeback. Here's another article...

Comic Relief hopes for monkey magic
Wednesday February 19, 2003

Nearly a year after ITV Digital finally bit the dust its most famous personality is plotting a comeback as the face of Comic Relief.

The creators of the ITV Digital Monkey have agreed to hand over the rights to the knitted simian to the charity and are already planning appearances on Graham Norton's and Patrick Kielty's chat shows - and even a show of his own.

Ad agency Mother said it had finally ended the bitter custody battle over Britain's most famous woolly monkey by buying the rights from ITV Digital's administrators, Deloitte & Touche, and donating them to Comic Relief.

The administrators and the advertising agency have been locked in a protracted dispute as to who owned the copyright to the primate, who took on a life of his own after an advertising blitz for ITV Digital featuring comedian Johnny Vegas.

And to underline its ability to live a life beyond ITV Digital, the monkey has even taken a place in a current Walkers crisps campaign for Comic Relief.

In the immediate aftermath of the ITV Digital collapse, Mother reckoned the monkey could become a star in its own right with TV shows and maybe even a movie.

Now the dispute with the administrators has been settled, the ad agency is getting the monkey's new career under way in true showbiz fashion.

Today Mother, relieved the battle is over, blamed Monkey's long absence from the public eye on that most ubiquitous of celebrity complaints - exhaustion.

"Monkey has spent some time in a clinic in LA but he's fine now and we're ready to relaunch his career," said partner Andy Medd.

"He needs to be managed like proper talent - he's not going to become Pudsey the Bear. We've been talking to the BBC about programming and the perfect situation would be for him to have his own show. He's a great light entertainer and he could give Ant and Dec a run for their money."

Kevin Cahill, Comic Relief's chief executive, said he was "delighted" to take on Monkey.

"A celebrity of his stature will fit right in here and we hope he'll raise a lot of money for us," he said.

"We are very grateful to all those at Mother, the Jim Henson Company and Animal Magic for the tremendous effort they made to secure him for us, and we promise to look after him."

Deloitte & Touche insisted on treating the monkey as another asset - alongside set-top boxes and subscriber lists - as it sold off what remained of ITV Digital after the broadcaster went bust.

But although the puppet attracted interest from potential buyers, including Kwik Save and the US media giant Clear Channel, no deal was made.

This year's Comic Relief Day, on March 14, is expected to be the biggest fundraiser yet, topping the 2001 total of £61m raised.

Monkey will join 300 celebrities including Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton, Vic Reeves, Bob Mortimer and Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders on the BBC1 show.

beaker

Reaction score
Great, another monkey Muppet with a washed up Vegas crooner. Whats next, JHC making a blue weirdo for Foghorn Leghorn?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Pepe could be doing that too, Send Pepe to England.
People will love him, People are easily pleased by little things like this here, And they take on chat shows and stuff !

:rolleyes: I want to come to de England, Okay?

Honestly !

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Great, another monkey Muppet with a washed up Vegas crooner.
Cory,

You have Noooooooooooo idea what you're talking about babe - 'Monkey' (pronounced Mun-Kay) is his name, he isn't a Monkey. The person with him is 'Johnny Vegas' - he isn't from Vegas, he isn't a singer - it's just his surname and he's a comedian.

Actually i know you pretty well, and if you were to see this whole thing in action i'm pretty sure you'd love it and would be heralding the success of this hilarious puppet.

radionate

Reaction score
What is with JHC and these funky sock monkey type puppets lately? First Bad Andy, and now Monkey, and the Animal Jam puppets. Very interesting looks of them all.