1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Custom figures and dioramas

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Dearth, Jul 24, 2009.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Your work is absolutely jaw dropping. Just had to go back and check out stuff I missed that you posted. Loved Emily Bear's house and that complete Muppet Show playset is innnsane! I think you'd dig the new Diamond line, the scale fits in with smaller playsets that could be customizable.

Two questions:
    have you considered Jim Henson Hour or newer characters like Big Mean Carl?
    Also who are the darker hued chickens? I vaguely remember Palisades had a mail away for a club package that came with assorted brown and grey Camilas(or is it Bernice?:) Also I forget, what frogs did Palisades release? Also nice use of Disney Star Wars Bean!

2. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

I really hope Ken Lily saw this! This thread is truly incredible.

No disrespect to Palisades because they obviously had to deal with size limitations, but Ludo, you could do a better backstage than Palisades. It would be cool if you did a bit of construction work on it to make it bigger, adding a third doors on the top.

Your Sesame Street stuff is ace too! How did you sculpt Ernie's face? I always looked at my Lew Zealand figure and thought he would be ideal for an Ernie custom.

3. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

@beaker.
    Palisades released a signature Kermit The Frog (S1), Tux Kermit exclusive, Koozebane/Reporter Kermit exclusive with assorted aliens, Captain Abraham Smollet (S7), Frog Scout Robin (S7), Frog Scout Leader Kermit (S10) that included a green or blue Frog Scout buddy (you'd have to check at Muppet Wiki regarding the various frogs which fits the figures best, we kind of thought them to be either Gawain from The Frog Prince and/or Norman from the Debbie Harrie TMS Season 5 episode), and Rainbow Connection Kermit + signature Robin (S10).

As for the chickens, the brown and gray ones from the club kits were repaints of both Camilla and Bernice. For some reason I think Bernice is the one that has a slightly taller neck.
    Hope this helps.

4. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I am off to look for this bus! Thanks.:)

5. Ludobear

Ludobear Member

Thanks for the mad props G. For Ernie I used the green Jacket scooter for pretty much all of him. I used the Scooter head and sanded down parts to give it a closer Ernie shape, and then built up the rest with sculpy. I kept most of Scooters mouth sculpt, just warmed up the plastic and changed shape a bit, and again sanded. Really hard to get his mouth smiley and in hindsight I would probably sculpt his head fully rather than the subtraction/addition approach I took. Where possible I always like to build on existing Palisades sculpts as I feel they end up looking more authentic to an actual Palisades figure. Would love to build up my Muppet stage, but I fear I may have to build up my actual house first to accommodate :p

6. Ludobear

Ludobear Member

Cheers Beakster. I think most of your questions have been well answered, but as to the Carl question, yes and yes again. Big Mean Carl is one of my favs and he has been in my scetch pad with many different designs. I really want to have him so his mouth is articulated and I can pop in smaller characters. I have looked at many, many existing toys to find something that I could build upon to give his mouth the desired action feature to chomp Muppets. Any ideas on how to solve a problem like Carl would be appreciated. He is one of my great white whales. Thanks for bringing it up ;) :laugh:

7. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Good luck with the Carl stuff!

LStein likes this.
  8. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

The new Imaginex Terror Toad figure?
    [​IMG] It's coming out soon, and you could totally modify it to be in scale with the other muppets. And look. It even has the good ol googly eyes as Carl.

9. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

Hi guys, just wandered in here for the first time in a while. Applause for Ludobear's customs and playsets!

~D

10. The Count

Hi Dearth, I stumble into this thread when there's a new post. Anything new you've been working on? :search:

11. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I just created a new thread for a video that I made of my Funko ReAction Dark Crystal toys, but none of them were customized.

I want to collect the DST Muppet line, but so far I've only bought the Statler and Waldorf with their theatre box.

Faced with a second line of different-scaled Muppets or getting some long-desired Dark Crystal figures, I opted to collect the DC stuff. The sculpts are amazing.

Eventually, I hope to get back into the Muppet Show figures, and finish some of my old planned Palisades customs. I found a box the other day with my Bossmen in pieces inside. I need to finally fully paint and assemble those.

~D

The Count likes this.
  12. The Count

Sounds good. I'm staying away from the Funco stuff and given my large Palisades collection I don't really have space for the DST series though I smile/applaud/encourage them to go as far as they can with it. I'd probably be more into getting the NBC Vinimates line, though I haven't really gone store shopping in ages. Meh.

One of the dream custom projects would be taking an extra Backstage playset and turning it into the interior of Belvedere Castle, better known as the home of :batty: himself as seen from various sketches on SST.

13. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I had some extra Backstages at one point, not sure if I still do. I know I sold at least one. I contemplated customizing one into the downstairs canteen and or rehearsal space seen in some episodes of The Muppet Show.

Before anyone gasps clutching their chest, I should point out that I bought several of them used that were partial or broken, to piece together one mostly good one, and the plan was to use predominantly broken or messed-up pieces for such a project.

Alex

14. The Count

Downstairs canteen? There's an unused area of the theater. Unless you have a custom-made Gladys the Cafeteria Lady figure. Or plan to use it as a place for your Fozzie Bear figure to hide out from all the spooky weirdness taking place onstage, hoping for at least one bit of normal on the show tonight. :p

Thing I wonder is if anyone ever added a proper exterior façade to a Backstage playset.

15. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

[​IMG]

Had to resort to eBay to get the Luke.

~D

los, floydnjanicefan and ryan19 like this.
  16. The Count

Wha Luke figure? Something for the canteen? Heh, I keep thinking of the EM as the cantina band, cross-referencing Floyd as Max Rebo thinking of that bit with the canteena music from Blue Harvest bleeding into the dialogue from the Kaye Ballard TMS episode where the band goes on strike.

17. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I finally have some of the Diamond Select Toys figures. I had only bought Statler and Waldorf so far, then lucked into an auction for the deluxe versions of the other five Series 1 and Series 2 sets that I lacked, paying about half what I'd have paid if they were on the card.

Overall, they were in good condition, though to my skin's chagrin they were covered in cat hair from the previous owner, who apparently never even notices the stuff anymore.

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, I once owned a cat, so I didn't realize I might have become allergic until these guys made my skin burn and itch. Thankfully, after dipping the figures in soapy water, that seems to have abated.

Here's a pic to see how good the scale of the DST figures (Scooter, Camilla, Fozzie, and Kermit) are alongside the 6" Hasbro Black Series figures (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Luke Skywalker in his Bespin Fatigues) and the Disney Parks exclusive figures (Gonzo/Dearth Nadir, Link Hogthrob/"Ham" Solo, Miss Piggy/Princess "Loina").

I might have to dig out my custom Koozebane diorama and really get elaborate. Here's to hoping DST eventually makes the Pigs in Space crew.

I guess I'll still be forced to customize an Angus McGonagle.

Alex

18. The Count

Ochaye, keep us posted on tha custom figure o' Angus, ye need his garglin' to keep wee nastay Wookees away. :zany:

19. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

One of my biggest disappointments with the DST figures was the way Animal's accessories kept falling over because of their tiny bases and top-heavy designs.

Another problem was that the way Animal's hips were jointed, the low stool tilted him too far back. It needed to be a little bit taller, in my opinion.

I arranged them atop a piece of paper (after consulting a diagram for real drum setups) and traced their bases.

[​IMG]

From this organic start, I was able to digitally build a small bandstand in Tinkercad.

[​IMG]

I then had this grown on the 3D printer at my local library's "Collaboratory". It cost me less than six dollars.

[​IMG]

Below you can see the stool, bass pedal, and cymbals in place in their recessed spots. (Well, the stool has a raised cone with a recessed top). I was briefly tempted to make a pedal for the high-hat cymbal while I was at it, but ultimately decided if DST was okay with it, I was too.

[​IMG]

Here I've added the snare and the medium tom in the last two recessed circles. I didn't bother making any recesses for the bass drum or the floor tom, since they don't fall over.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the slightly taller stool fits Animal's maximum hip movement much better.

[​IMG]

And lastly, here's the entire drum kit, including the bass and the floor tom. I even put a tiny dollop of hot glue in each recess, so I can pick this thing up and move it as one unit if I want.

[​IMG]

This top angle shows how all of the drums and cymbals are in Animal's armspan as he plays.

[​IMG]

Ain't technology great?

~D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  20. The Count

With a set-up like you've described making for :halo: I wonder if he can now move on to his greatest drum battle challenge of all... Benson!