Daffyfan's TMS Outline: The return of the band

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Since a lot of people, including me, have been wondering about the Electric Mayhem Band's return to the show after they quit in the Kaye Ballard episode and no explanation was given on the show, I thought I'd try writing an outline explaining what might have happened afterwards. I should warn you that I'm not very good at this. A lot of my jokes are sort of dumb and I don't know too much about characters that were retired after the first season. (Ex: Nigel, Wayne and Wanda, etc.) I also thought I'd explain a few things that changed from the first season to the second season. Anyway, as Brian Henson would say, here's the Muppet Show with guest star Davy Jones. (I've got that idea since Matt used Paul McCartney. I figured if we have an outline someone from the Beatles, we should have one with someone from the Monkees as well. After all it helped that I have one of their CDs.)

THE MUPPET SHOW Episode 23.5:
The Return of the Band

Special guest star: Davy Jones

Curtain: Kermit announces the guest star Davy Jones. He also announces that the show might not go as well as planned (Not that it ever does anyway) because the band had quit in the previous episode.

Opening number: Davy sings the Monkee’s theme song. Since the Electric Mayhem isn’t there, the instrumentals are played by Scooter, Fozzie and Gonzo with disastrous results.

Waldorf: Boy it angers me that they goofed up that number. I love the Monkees.

Statler: It figures. You always drive me bananas!

(I realize that's a dumb joke. Don't say I didn't warn you all. Lol.)

Backstage: Sam the Eagle scolds Scooter, Fozzie and Gonzo because of the way the opening number turned out. Kermit tells Sam that it wasn’t their fault. They’re still trying to find replacements for the band. Meanwhile Rowlf and Nigel start arguing because Rowlf doesn’t want to play the songs solo on the piano anymore. Kermit overhears this and calms everybody down by saying that he will get the band back.

Newsman: The Newsman reports on the return of the band. Little did he realize that meant rubber-band. He keeps having rubber bands shot at him.

Talking houses: House 1: When people pass by my father they are completely silent.

House 2: Why is that?

House 1: Because he’s a library.

(I know another stupid joke. But what can I say, how the heck do you write dialog for a house? No wonder they were retired. Now I know how Fozzie feels all the time. Lol)

Song: Wayne and Wanda: Going on with this Monkee’s theme. Wayne and Wanda start to sing “Last Train to Clarksville,” but are run over by a huge train driven by Sweetums.

Sweetums: Oops! Sorry.

Backstage: Kermit calls the band members and asks them to return. But they all have new jobs. Janice got a job at a mall in a nearby valley (which explains why she turned valley girl) after this season. Zoot became a monk which explains his silence. Floyd was having an eye operation so he no longer needs to wear shades. And Dr. Teeth got a job at an obedience school training Animal and a bunch of other characters that are as wild as he is. (This would probably have been my worst nightmare as a kid since I was always afraid of Animal.)

UK spot: Some guy sings “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas.” It starts to snow, but he gets blown away by a huge gust of wind. (I’d use Beauregard or Link for this, but they didn’t exist in the first season.)

Waldorf: Wow. That gust of wind really blew him away.

Statler: That doesn’t surprise me. I always thought the Muppet’s were full of hot air.

Both: Doh ho ho ho!

Talk spot: Kermit tells Davy about the problems the show was having since the band left. Davy cheers him up by saying, he could get the Monkees on the show. Kermit is happy about this, until he finds out the “monkeys” Davy was referring too were a bunch of real apes.

Backstage: The monkeys are still their and they ask Kermit if they could replace the band, but of course things go out of control and Kermit shoos them out of there.

Sketch: At the dance. We see the usual couples (George and Mildred/Wayne and Wanda), but this time they are joined by a bunch of monkeys telling ape jokes and things like that.

Guest star: Davy sings “Daydream Believer” to Miss Piggy.

Waldorf: That song used to remind me of Astoria, but not any more.

Statler: Why not?

Waldorf: Because now she reminds me of a different song.

Statler: Really? Which song is that?

Waldorf: “Welcome to My Nightmare.”
(By the way, Matt, I wasn't trying to steal your joke about that "Yesterday" song or anything. I just thought that would be a funny line)
Backstage: The Muppets are still depressed about the band’s departure and Kermit nearly decides to cancel the show, when all of a sudden the band comes back. They admit that they didn’t like their new jobs and they missed Kermit so they decided to return just in time for the closing number.

Closing number: In honor of the band’s return Davy and the Electric Mayhem play the Monkees song “Listen to the Band.”

Curtain: A lot of people come out for goodnights. As always Kermit thanks the guest star Davy Jones. He also welcomes the Electric Mayhem back. Unfortunately they are joined by Animal’s “friends” from his obedience school. They are also joined by the monkeys that have previously appeared on this show.

Closing theme

Waldorf: Well, what did you think?

Statler: I always thought this show had a lot of monkey business. (They are then thrown out of their box by two apes)

Zoot’s last note: Zoot is also pushed aside by a monkey and he blows the sax.

Well, there it is. Again, no flames please. Like I said, this is my first try at this and so far I only have one first season episode on video so that season may be the hardest to write for. I'm open to suggestions on what I should add or take out. Maybe I should have put more dialog in for the "At the Dance" sketch, but I couldn't think of anything. Well, anyway, that's my first outline. I'll try to do better with the next one.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I liked it, especially the jokes you said were dumb. You came up with better dialogue for the houses than I've been attempting lately.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yeah. Like, I said the houses are kind of hard to write for. I'll have to check back at the season 1 episode guide and look at more of their jokes to get some more ideas. But I think the next one I try won't be a first season episode, so I won't have to worry about the houses. I've had some more ideas. I wanted to use one with Steve Irwin and another one with Mike Myers and maybe an Austin Powers theme, but I can't think of ideas for plot lines or songs or Waldorf/Statler quotes or things like that. Anyway, I'm glad you liked the one I wrote.