Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Muppy

Reaction score
So...I mean...I'm not saying you're not allowed to like the show, just don't be angry that they didn't make it to pander to you...which is honestly how your post came across.
Lol I know it's not made for me. Audiences change. I'm not in that audience and it's fine with me. I'll just sit back, relax and enjoy the original PPG and be happy :smile:

Okay, first of all, that's not what feminism means. Feminism is about being equal to males. It's not about one gender being better,or being above the other gender. Feminism literally just means believing in gender equality.
I know the true meaning of feminism is gender equality but a lot of "feminists" on the internet, as Sgt Floyd said, twist the definition a lot to make it seem like they're all man hating people. That's the main problem I have with websites like Buzzfeed, who sometimes can be so anti men, it's sad ... but that's a topic for a whole other day. Let's just all settle for gender equality and not one gender is superior.

And I don't think the show is "anti men" just because there was one dumb male/overly masculine stereotype character. It was meant to be just that, an exaggeration, a stereotype, and like I said, only one character.
The show just came off as anti-men to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We all have opinions. That's mine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen the show yet personally, but...who says they are trying to appeal to the older fanbase? They are probably trying to appeal to the younger, pre-teen crowd, and i'm guessing BECAUSE that steven universe style animation is whats popular now, that's why they went in that direction.

Usually when they bring shows back like this, its not to appeal to the older fans (because lets face it, fans will cry and scream no matter how good the show is that its not like the original). They bring shows back with a new format to appeal to a new generation. What is popular now and what people like is far different than what it was 10-20 years ago.
I haven't seen it yet even though its freely available on the internet here and there. I'm going to wait to see the show as it airs because I might as well just have internet and watch everything exclusively online if that's the case.

All I can say is, the only ones complaining about this show are those who take their fandom too seriously like this is the affront to the original series. This would have to be 2007 George of the Jungle levels of bad to get a negative reaction to me. I've sat through Mathew Broaderick not being Inspector Gadget and even enjoyed it the first time. I even liked 2 of the revival Gadget cartoons, the new one and Gadgetinis. HATED Gadget Boy and felt Gadget's field Trip was a waste of the only Gadget revival with Don Adams. I mean, if there was a really bad Darkwing Duck revival I'd be ticked, but then I'd just not watch it and grumble about it.

This PPG is meant for a younger generation of girls, and I'm sure it speaks to them. I'm sure they want to have the original fanbase watching, but it's probably the cool thing to hate on this thing for not being exactly the same. And I'm sure most of them are fan fic writers who are ticked it doesn't line up with their interpretation. I'm going to give the show a chance, it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the reaction. I mean, it's different writers after all. it would be great if Craig came back for the second season seeing how Disney screwed Wander out of another season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw the premiere episodes of the show and all I can say is...

Really?!?! THAT'S the big affront to the fans of the original series that's raping their childhood? THAT'S what everyone's up in arms about? I mean, the "it's not for me" comments I can see but the fact that fans are that upset over this? REALLY?!?! Sure, it's not as good as the original show (which I'll get into later), but it's exactly what I expected it to be. A cartoon made 10+ years after the original by a new team that didn't work on the original show, but were clearly fans of it. Just...wow...the reaction, or rather over reaction is obnoxious and drama queeny. The anime and TV special are faaaaaaaaar worse than this.

That isn't to say that there aren't things I'd have to get used to. There are changes in style and tone, but nothing drastically like the fans of Spectacular Spider-Man got ticked off at Ultimate Spider-Man about. Nothing near as painful as what happened with George of the Jungle 2k7 or Gadget Boy and Heather (Zowzwers Bowzers indeed!) I mean, it's okay, it's not the love at first sight I had for some of the other CN originals of late, but it's far from the garbage everyone says it is. I'd say it needs work and in time it may just be something almost as good as the original's window of being good, but nothing that turned me off vehemently. Heck, the last season of Johnny Bravo where Van Partible came back wasn't as good as the first season, but that's because 2 of their writers went onto other projects.

As for comparison to the original show, PPG was a very special show when it first came out. It was a super hero satire made out of a student film where the satire was they were little girls who were super heroes. And yes, the series pretty much grew to be that special type of parody that fades into becoming what they're making fun of. This show lacks that specifically, but I don't see that being an issue. We've got comics about heavy set women as superheroes that aren't jokes. Anyone can be a superhero and the boundaries have been broken down, especially when it comes to girls. While I did initially find the concept of bringing back a series that frankly finished itself off a good season before it ended (and I'll go into that in detail) a bit unnecessary, I get why they'd want a show geared to little girls to come back. Especially since it was revealed CN hates cartoons that get female viewers, and female cartoon viewers weren't very happy about knowing that. PPG was never meant to be a girl's show, it just became one. Now it's speaking to girls a little more directly, turning the show more into an intentional alternative to boy's action shows rather than the accidental one the original became. And remember, the PPG merchandise was totally for girls, almost making it the antithesis of what the show was about.

As for direct comparison to the original show, I wasn't pulling my hair out of my head the way the fandom did. Now, I really like PPG, though I'm more of a Cow and Chicken, KND, Sheep in the Big City classic CN fan. I feel the show was only truly great about seasons 2-4 including. Season 1 was pretty much establishing the show and was alright, season 5 was jumping the shark territory, but if it ended with that dumb Rock Opera episode it would have been fine. Season 6 (minus that one episode about the Gangrene Gang)was pure garbage. All the jokes were slow burns... Chris Reccardi ruined the show. And as bad as the fan reaction to the new series is, it's not nearly as angering as "Toast of the Town" was to me. So it's not quite as good as the better episodes of the original series, but it's freakin' gold compared to "The Steamy Puff Girls" or the one where they refused to wear sunscreen. Mizzin in Action? Feh! I think this show does have potential to grow once the new writers find their voice and have it sync up with what made the old series great. So overall, not nearly what they did with the Teen Titans. Not even close.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I agree, it wasn't as good as the original, but it's soo far from being one of CN's worst shows. It wasn't bad or great, it was just okay. And not only is this a different show altogether but it has completely different people working on it, so they still have to find their voice. Even the original series wasn't amazing in it's first season and especially not it's first episode.

I think the main thing the writers need to work on is adding just slightly more to their stories and fleshing out the main characters a bit more. But at least the writers seem to grasp the concept and general characterization much better than the "Teen Titans Go!" writers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find it a step up from okay, like a decent. It's exactly what a show like that would be. New episodes of updated versions of the characters done by someone who isn't the creator not using the original writers. In other words, something that would naturally happen to a cartoon series even if it was still running. Spongebob got lame when Hillenberg left, once he came back just before the second movie, the show improved. Heck, PPG suffered greater when McCracken left to do Foster's Home and everything became juvenile. Far more juvenile than these two first episodes were.

I really think that most of CN's current shows have been gold since their first episodes. I instantly fell in love with We Bare Bears, but I admit it took me a few episodes to really get into Adventure Time and Regular Show. And those two shows improved a lot with time. Regular Show especially let the characters grow and become close, making it very much a coming of age series. Shows have room for improvement, and sometimes it takes a season or two to really sing. There really seems to be seeds of potential here. I love the Giant Monster Uber App gag. That's a great way to add updates to the show without taking away the "this is a parody" aspect. There's something about the sisterly bond which seems it could develop into some intense growing apart storyline, if not story arc. They're not going to lead off with the "here's what we can do with it" without establishing the "here's what we're going to do" first. And maybe in time, since Disney screwed the heck out of Wander over Yonder, Craig could come back and do an episode or two.

But yeah, the writers seem to at least know what they're doing with the characters. Even someone who overreacted to it that I talked to said at least they got their powers right, unlike the special. It's just going to be the writer's vision for the characters, but at least they have some respect for them unlike TTG. Then again, TTG goes out of its way to annoy the original series' fanbase, and I don't think the audience fully gets that. This show seems to say "if you like this show and like the older one, fine, but we're trying to get a new audience here."

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
And maybe in time, since Disney screwed the heck out of Wander over Yonder, Craig could come back and do an episode or two.
I would love that. And Lauren Faust too, I love everything she's ever done.
Maybe, even though it would be very unlikely,Rebecca Sugar could write one, Steven Universe has a kind of PPG feel to it. And also Genndy, though I imagine he's pretty busy as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I do like the PPG reboot so far, but I'll agree that it has the potential to be better. Shows that start off slow and a little awkward have a better chance at improving, as we all know by now.

I liked the Derbytantes in the 2nd episode, and how they have a man (cisgender or otherwise) on their team, so they're nice and progressive there. I also like the little detail in that they took Princess Morbucks' cash offer to pretend to befriend Buttercup only because they needed the money to maintain their equipment, but genuinely liked her once they saw the strong bond she had with her sisters in coming to their rescue. I hope they appear more often as allies as the series goes on.

The new VAs do a fine job voicing the Powerpuffs, but they will take some time getting used to as we've been hearing the originals for so long, and they should grow into their roles as the series continues. Animation-wise, there's a lot more fluidity and detail compared to the original, and the outlines are much less thick. It's a nice enhancement here.

So far, this reboot has been a lot more respectful compared to a certain other reboot of a beloved show on CN. That and the borderline self-parody CGI special from a few years back.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
SO i finally got around to actually watching it. It's...meh?

I have no real strong opinion on it either way. I can see they at least tried though. The characters did at least feel like themselves so there's that.

Animation wise...I don't like that Steven Universe style so thats a bit jarring to me but thats really just personal preference. My only real complaint is Blossom's voice sounds more like Bubbles than Bubbles does in some places, but I can't really fault the VAs for that. It's just weird hearing Blossom with a higher pitched voice.

So yeah. I don't hate it. Don't particularly love it but if I catch it on tv i wouldnt change the channel. It's definitely not deserving of the hate it gets