1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Drtooth, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I don't mind teasing the ship, but actually I can't stand shipping those two. Jareth is currently with Mizumi in my attempt to rebuild my ficverse, whereas in the original I paired him up with the Queen of Trash. :)
    I'd have to wallow in wikis about Dark Crystal, though, if I wanted a shot at it. I'm more of a Labyrinth and Dinosaurs thing.
    LOL
    Thank God I'm not drinking milk. It'd go right out my nose.
    Despite the rushed ending and the uneven pacing, it makes me weep there was so much hate over such a story with such fascinating potential. It needed to be a series.
    Well, okay ... but I still like thinking the Halosians from Farscape are descendants of Skeses. :p

2. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Good point, but after all, mother nature does not care for anyone. Life, death... all the same. Its just life cycle and the transformation of energy.

3. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

The Dark Crystal page is updated, but I see nothing in the encyclopedia about the Gathering. It's mostly stuff we already know from TDC novel, film, World of the Dark Crystal, and those graphic novels.

4. MrBloogarFoobly

Am I alone in having trouble with this? It's so much easier, I feel, when you have complete creative control over a project. With this, I'm worried I will mess up the mythology, despite having studied it extensively. Anyone else feel intimidated?

5. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

*Raises hand*

The mythology alone is enough to make my head spin. All I knew of The Dark Crystal universe before this was the movie. Now, I've got to bone up on pretty much everything in the encyclopedia and worry that I'll miss something. And, on top of that, the rules and info packet are still contradictory and confusing.

6. MrBloogarFoobly

Exactly! I noticed the same thing. There isn't any unity to the mythology - ironic, considering the central theme of TDC is the quest for balance and unity. This is probably because it's written by so many different people - comic artists, random people, and of course the original information from Jim Henson & Brian Froud.

7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Maybe all the conflicting parts are true ... from a certain POV. :)

8. Uwizll

Uwizll Member

I've heard the excuse that it's called Dark Crystal: Creation "Myths" so of course facts won't line up. To me, this seems like an Easy Button for the writers. They're being lazy: If the story we just wrote is contradictory or doesn't make sense -- chalk it up to it being an in-universe myth.

This is kind of irritating. The Dark Crystal does not have a massive mythos that spans millenia and has thousands of characters. This isn't Star Wars or the Wheel of Time series. If writers would study the Movie and the handful of supplementary materials that have been published--bam! make a story from that! :)

And if the writers have an awesome idea that they soon find out is contradicted by something else--it is their responsibility as a writer to respect that--kill their darlings, if you will--and think of alternate idea that does fit.

If a writer was hired to write a Star Wars novel and they throw in a paragraph or two about Anakin Skywalker having a father--then Lucasfilms would say "Sorry, no. That contradicts an established in-universe fact."

"No wait," the writer pleads. "It's really cool. You see, Luke will meet his grandfather and--"

Lucas: "I said no. It contradicts an in-universe fact."

That writer had better respect that if he wants to get this book published. Yeah, sure, his storyline might have been cool--but it doesn't matter. It's contradicting the Star Wars universe.

And when the Big Wigs/Masters of a fictional universe are all right with its writers treating canon like a squeaky toy--to be bent and thrown around at your convenience--then the story universe's structural integrity is compromised, and the fans will not be able to suspend their disbelief long enough to enjoy the story.

MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  9. MrBloogarFoobly

Precisely.

As far as DC is concerned, I consider the film, the novelization, and The World of the Dark Crystal to be canon. Everything that came after is just fan fiction, honestly. "Legends" wasn't very good, "Creation Myths" is so-so. I don't care if Brian Froud drew a couple of pictures on it; Jim Henson died, Frank Oz has no part in it, and the original screenwriter, to my knowledge, was not involved.

One jerk's opinion, of course.

10. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Exactly. But I do like Creation Myths. It is quite good fan fiction IMO.

11. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Well said!

12. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

I did it--I'm in the contest!!:) Who else is in? For those in the Forum that have already submitted, please answer. I can't wait to see the competition ahead! :excited:

13. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Well, you're way ahead of me. I'm 2803 words short of the minimum word count and still have some tweaking to do beyond that.

theSHE124 likes this.
  14. MrBloogarFoobly

I tried, but I just don't feel inspired. I have a hard time writing other people's worlds. Good luck to you guys, though. The deadline is in Jan, right?

theSHE124 likes this.
  15. skekKot

skekKot New Member

16. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Technically, Mr. Foobly, it closes at December 31st, 11:59:59 PM EST. For anyone still in this, here's something I found that can help you (and also explains why the timeline is so vagued). ;)

MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  17. DaisyDeadPetals

DaisyDeadPetals New Member

I took the materials and wrote my own piece to be honest, I surmised that they wanted your story, not theirs. anyway if anyone would like to read my piece they are welcome, I submitted it on oct 1st. I handwrote the first 6k words then edited and added, it took 2 months but i'm super proud of it. I wanted to write about real magic, since Labyrinth and Dark Crystal have always shaped my mind thusly into my own magic.

www.facebook.com/emseeplum

theSHE124 likes this.
  18. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Halfway thru the Submission time...there's about 21 & so people who said they're in (aside some of us here, i.e.)...For those who are still in on this, how will you describe what makes your story unique to others? To help out in case you don't feel like speaking too much, and yes, I totally understand, here's a list you can answer in the form of Muppet bytes. That means I use the smilies to begin each question:

:confused: Do you write with structure or stream of conscious?
    :dreamy: What's your strongest style (pictorial, dialogue, epistolary, or something else)?
    :wisdom: How many viewpoints did you made, and which peoples are they?
    :super: Who's the central character, the Hero in your story (Rian, another Gelfling, or other)?
    :scary: Who's the Villain, the SkekSis that'll appear the most? (Note: Feel free to answer with any. The Hunter and the General are mentioned in the old library sources.)
    :eek: And finally, which new feature(s) had you included in your story (is it a creature, tool/machine, magical power, calender time, weather anomaly, or a whole new race of sentient beings)? (Note: Feel free to choose just one for your primary answer.)

Phew! That's a lotta questions for one post! To answer, please use each smilie to answer easch question. And if you feel like asking me, I'll only answer my own questions if, and only if, someone else is the first to do so. I just wanna make it a little fun as we pass the time...:coy:

19. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

...Uh, anyone still here?? :confused: Just wanna say Happy New Year! That's right, the submissions are now closed! I gotta friend, a family member, and a just-proposed-today-soon-to-be-Brother-In-Law that are simply amazed at my achievements for this Contest. There's a lotta prides on the line...but it'll be worth it for me no matter what happens. After all, I truly got into this mostly because it's...it's a surprise for my Mom...:halo:

Anyway, check out my 'calling card', first pic in my portfolio! :)