1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Phillip, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Here's some news on the forthcoming Dark Crystal sequel, while it's still planned for release, it appears the movie may be direct-to-DVD, not a theatrical feature. We can only hope that not to much quality is suffered in the lower budget typically associated with DVD-only releases.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/010708.shtml
  2. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

ok

well, it almost makes me think. . .why bother?

Sorry to say, but most direct to DVD releases are pretty poor in quality and budget. This doesn't bode well in my opinion. This is not the direction I would want TDC to go in.

But. . .who knows, perhaps, just perhaps, they can pull it off. But, I doubt it, to be honest.
  3. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

The Death Knell

My hopes for any real quality have now been flushed down the toilet.

Direct to DVD? No theatrical release whatsoever? Crazy! This is not what Jim Henson would have wanted. This move means one thing, or perhaps 3 things.

1. MONEY
    2. MONEY
    3. MONEY

Mirror Mask is a 'case in point' in the lessons of poor quality and very little production budget. What does it say about the state of the Henson company when they can't get their projects off the ground, sustain funding or find theatrical release for a project of this magnitude?

The Muppets and The Dark Crystal were/are gems of my youth. It's a sad to wake up and realize, the magic is over, their time has passed.

J.M. Prater
  4. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

Let me add this one point. I'd love to be wrong about this, I'd love to be blown away by the scope and quality of this now direct-to-video sequel. The only way that's going to happen is if they SHOW US SOMETHING.

I would hazard to guess that the real reason we're [the fans] not seeing anything is because, frankly, the quality sucks.

Please, some one, prove me wrong.

J.M. Prater
  5. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

Frankly, I would have been very surprised if this came to theaters. I always figured it would go directly to video.
  6. Not me. I was ready for a new real Henson theatrical release, and now I think it'll take some real convincing to get me back on board with this new DC. This is kind of depressing.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

So now it's going to be like a Sci-Fi Channel movie?

This is not what I expected. I am very unhappy with how this has been handled. The Dark Crystal is on my short list of favorite films - practically my favorite film. If this had been planned to be some sort of episodic series or miniseries I would understand, but now I feel this tarnishes one of the best pieces of Jim Henson's legacy. I know it's only business, but the Henson Company has always risen above that sort of cynicism. I will support this project and I am curious. I hope it's good, but I really wanted a theatrical release. I know the first one was a hard enough sell, but it's a different climate now. Let’s hope this doesn't happen to the Fraggles. There's a goldmine with them. Maybe they're finally seeing that and planning to tap into it instead of focusing on Crystal? :sympathy:
  8. I hope so. If the Fraggle Rock movie falls through or winds up as just a DVD release, that'll be a huge blow to Henson I would think.
  9. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I honestly don't get this. How does a sequel to one of Jim's best films go direct-to-DVD while garbage like Good Boy! and MirrorMask get to go to the big screen? I really thought this would finally be the big release that would have started the Henson renaissance we've been waiting much too long for. But, nope, this is rather depressing news, just like we always get. I guess there goes this movie being 2.35, now it'll probably be the more DVD-friendly 1.66. This really stinks.
  10. BobThePizzaBoy, I'm a little confused by your numerics. What do you mean by the movie being 2.35 or 1.66?
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Aspect ratio. I think BobThePizzaBoy wants a wider scope for the film's world. I agree with that. I suppose Henson could go the Clone Wars cartoon sort of rout with this project until gaining enough momentum for a theatrical release? I wouldn't want a poorly budgeted Crystal hitting theaters.
  12. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

This is very disappointing...very disappointing indeed. :(
  13. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

My thoughts exactly. **sigh** Well, that's a bit disappointing.
  14. pain

pain New Member

To me, this is horrible news.

I wanted to bring my kids to see this on the huge screen. I wanted them to properly see the remake of their father's favorite film of all time. I truly hope this film blows me away, but I just do not see it.

This will also probably affect a possible toy line. Nobody wants to buy the rights to make action figures to a movie that no one even believes would make it in the theaters. I hope this is not affected as well, and I hope the good companies see the toy line's potential.
  15. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I wasn't expecting this to happen but i'll still get it no matter what but it's kinda of a bore now that it'll be a video release instead. :(
  16. Henson's not confirming or denying anything yet. I always want to remain cautious. I'm really bummed out if this is true. BUT, even if it is, I'm sure these things happen for a reason. I just want to know what the reasoning would be, in that case.
  17. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I have never been a huge Dark Crystal fan, but I can totally understand why you would all be disapointed. Just wanted to say that, the real magic is the original Dark Crystal film that Jim created. Nothing can ever take that away. To me, that's what's important, not whether there is ever a sequal.

Don't get me wrong, the direct-to-video news is a bummer. I'm just saying don't let it discourage you. And also wait and see the final product before making too hasty a judgement. :)
  18. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Well, better direct-to-video than nothing.
    I always knew they don't have enough money...
  19. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

I wish I could be confident in Genndy, but only seeing his animation work, I have nothing to base my confidence in, the reason being that this sequel deals with elements outside of his animation expertise.

I'm not at all saying that he's a hack or incapable, I just haven't seen anything with the exception of that 3 minute comicon clip that ended up on youtube. If there were a trailer or a clip of the work that they've been doing to show us then that would be one thing, but again, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but they've showed us NOTHING. No production stills, no behind the scenes diaries, zilch, nada, zero.

Of course, Genndy, Lisa Henson & Co don't have to prove anything to me/us/the fans. They can continue as they have been for months, doing the their thing without saying a word. They can continue this trend of estrangement but at this stage, it would be unwise and their silence only breeds our contempt.

This is the point where we as fans NEED to be involved, to get behind this project and trumpet it, even if it is indeed a direct-to-video endeavor.

I hope some one who matters reads this and takes action. The Power of the Dark Crystal needs us [the fans] to succeed. Period.

J.M. Prater
  20. Its really sad to say this but I really feel the Magic of the company died with Jim. Its kinda lost its spark. It seems to have lost its creativity and Magic. The Muppet's are different and truly not as fun to watch anymore. And not alot has been done since his Death that is a real Land Mark for the Company. I hope they prove us wrong with this direct to DVD release and hopefully it doesn't shatter all of our hopes for the Fraggle film. I'm glad to see Henson is doing something, but its just kind of a let down when its not trying to be a big as it was, or can be if fought for.