Dave Privett- www.PlaySoup.com

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I just had the most incredible training in puppet building ever! Last week I went to Pittsburg Pa for a puppet festival. I had a privite class with Master puppeteer and builder, Dave Privett who showed me step by step how to take any 2D drawing and turn it into a 3D puppet and then back into a flat pattern. I got it all on film so I can go back to it for reference. I had the honor of working with him and his wife June with whom he works with all weekend. I was so pumped from the wealth of information that I got pulled over for speeding on the 5 hour trip home. :embarrassed: Oops! Anyway I found out that the patterns that Dave Pannebaker sells was created using this same method. I never knew this before. I couldnt figure out how he could design such a strange pattern. Now I know exactly how he did it. So essentially anything pretty much I can draw now I can make into a puppet. This is the most valuable tool I have seen anywhere! I've already begun work on a whole line of new puppets designed from this training. I'm told Dave Privett will be making a video of this method eventually but he says it will be rather costly. Let me tell you, if foam and fabric puppet building is your thing this will be worth every cent of anything he asks. As soon as I can get my designs perfected and protected I'll post pics of the puppets I've built from this. I'm having a blast just practicing this. I always wondered how people knew where exactly to put and run a dart to make shape. LOL its so simple really.

BorkBork

Reaction score
This sounds great! Why don't you share with us how it's done?

shtick

Reaction score
Yeah....Share the wealth, okaeh! :rolleyes:

Iokitek

Reaction score
ditto :smile: I would love to have more detailed information aswell.

Jinx

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
...So essentially anything pretty much I can draw now I can make into a puppet.
Wow, this sounds about as exciting as anything I've ever read here! but it does beg the question, "what if you can't draw?

But do keep us posted if you hear anything about him releasing any videos/books.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't release this method on here. Hopefully no one is upset with me but it is Dave's livelihood. He was gratious to teach me this technique I can't betray him by giving it away. It usually costs over $1000.00 for his courses. If you have any questions you can reach him at " www.playsoup.com " Usually people hold a festival or training classes where the cost can be spread out over many people to cut down the individual cost of him coming to teach. I could keep you posted or you could visit his web site to find out more for yourself. The site has just recently changed and it looks like he has some new stuff on there. I have always admired Dave's work. I guess if anyone would ever be considered my inspiration to puppetry it would be him.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with David's exact methods, but since they seem to be very similar to David P's, probably 80% or more of it of it is fairly comon knowledge among more experienced puppet builders.

Don't get me wrong, I totally respect David and his work and it sounds like he's a great teacher. It's just that if you ask me this business of puppetry secrets is silliness.

shtick

Reaction score
I'm with Buck on that one, okeh.

Unbelievable! Puppeteering is about the art, not about who does it better. If we share techniques and ideas we're all able to express our creativity in a better way. I've had chats with many Henson builders and they answered all my questions without hesitaton.

On the other hand, from his POV, Puppet_Builder does not have to tell us anything since he paid good money for his training, okeh.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I appreciate your understanding shtick on this matter. It's not that I wouldn't love to share but I was asked not to and so I must out of respect oblige. Also he was the one that taught Dave Pannabecker this technique so it is very close.

I did learn how to make much cleaner seams in foam than I was making before. Even though ALP showed basically the same thing, It somehow really hit home when Dave Privett explained the process. That much I think I can share but I won't muffin my own thread with this so I'll put it with the Glue help thread.

Buck I want you to know I have nothing but respect for you as a performer/builder. Your help and opinions have always been appreciated but I'm wondering one thing. If this is just common knowledge then why has noone on this forum ever explained this to the rest of us who are aspiring builders? Please don't misunderstand me. I am very thankful for all I have learned here but as much as I have read in any thread or on any tutorial I've never seen anything that explained to me how to go from drawing to puppet to pattern like Privett's method does.

Also it's not that Privett's method is a secret but just like most anything else I have gleaned from others, you usually get what you pay for.