David and Maria sketch

Ziffel

Reaction score
Here's a classic sketch with David and Maria I liked. They are in a restaurant and both order a bowl of spaghetti. Maria gobbles hers down real quickly. An unseen voice narrator says, " Short time." Then David starts eating his spaghetti one noodle at a time! The narrator says, "Long time." A little later with David still eating, the narrator again says, " Long time." Still later with David still eating a noodle at a time ( and Maria getting very impatient), the voice says, " Oh boy long time!" Finally David eats the last noodle and Maria smiles in relief. Then David motions for the waiter to come over. But not for the check...... for another bowl of spaghetti! I forgot what Maria did exactly, but I think she may have fell right off her chair ( similar to Bert's frequent falling downs after Ernie would try his patience).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
recall that 1 as well. check out the similer threads section below you may find more memorable ones.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. The bridge one with David and Maria was enjoyable too. There's one segment with David and Maria I recall seeing as a child that probably was only one show because it was one of those scenes that took place on Sesame Street (between the muppet, film, and animation skits). I think it was in or in front of Hooper's store. David and Maria are talking with some children and David is showing them how a tape recorder works. He records their voices and then they all have fun rewinding it and listening to themselves on playback. David then turns the tape over and explains how the other side can also be used, and he pushes play. But he forgot that he had previously used this side of the tape to talk about his fondness of Maria. The words I recall are: "I just want to say a few things about Maria...I see her walking, I hear her talking. Yes sir, Maria is always on my mind." He was a little embarrassed as Maria listened to this, but she told him how nice she thought his words were. So that's another indicator of the show's intentions to make David and Maria an item. By the way, this would have been approximately 1974, give or take a year.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
that sounded like a good one. wish they were still showing SSU and showing more episodes if they had any others in existance.