David Nagel (Puppet Builder)

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Ladies and gentleman;

I couldn't seem to find my own thread "A new beginning..." to update it so I'm starting a new one here... hope no one minds!

My original base for puppet pictures seems to have disappeared, so I've got a place at photobucket. So check out http://photobucket.com/albums/v669/robinthecrow/Puppets/ for pictures of my currently finished puppet, "Sean". Modelled and built for my boss at my previous job - so when I get the scanner working, or even buy a new one, I'll scan the picture I have of both of them together.

Other puppet projects of mine currently under developed, involve recreations or "Fan Builds" of the "Avenue Q" gang, which I am ever so slow at doing. I've only got Nicky's head with skin on - that's it! I hope Mr Lyon or his fellow builders do not mind me reporting how I'm getting on with them - they are for my own amusement, nothing more.

Also, a major video production is currently in the early scripting stages and requires "Smile Time"-style puppets of myself and a friend. I hope to get this going since I've always wondered what I'd look like in puppet form... I have the materials, its just getting the time to sit down and start it that's difficult! I'm there are loads of you who have that problem too!

Anyways, must get on with the current jobs at hand, so toodle oo for the moment my fellow builders! Happy building!

David.

robot marque

Reaction score
sup yo!

I have a simple question for you, what do you use for skin, and how do you hide the seams? Thank you for your help. :smile:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Two additional answers,

1. Antron is no longer going to be available, unfortunately. However, there is a new material that is replacing it. Read a little about it here.

2.When Antron is sewn it pretty much automatically hides the seams, but usually some combing out of the pile from the seam is needed to truly give it a seamless look.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
When you first put together the foam head, how do you attach the foam piece together? I've found foam extremely difficult to sew. Do you glue or something else? And how do you attach the material after the fact? I guess I don't know enough about sewing.

Iokitek

Reaction score
There are alot of threads about glue here on the forum. Do a search and you'll find tons of information. Sewing to foam is basicly impossible. Because the thread tears through the foam.

:smile:

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Sewing antron fleece was very difficult at first and sometimes I can only manage seam-less sews if I sit in concentration for a week. I do have good and bad days with sewing antron fleece.

As for glueing foam together(?) just a matter of hot glue really and pressing it together till it dries (which will take awhile).

I do believe that the "proper stuff" reticulated foam can be sewn?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
robinthecrow said:
As for glueing foam together(?) just a matter of hot glue really and pressing it together till it dries (which will take awhile).

I do believe that the "proper stuff" reticulated foam can be sewn?
DONT USE HOT GLUE!!!!

please go read the glue topic , hot glue is not flexible enough, nor does it work that well