Days of Auld Lang Syne

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey gang, this fan-fic is for New Years Eve! It's my account of what was going on before Vic Romano's latest Weekly Creative Visual (which can be seen here). So I dedicate this story to him! Enjoy!

The final hours of December 31st were drawing to a close. The train station on the outskirts of the town was packed with feathers, fur, and the occasional bottle of champagne.

"Whoo! I wish I was that cork!" Gonzo the Great shouted as he blew open antoher champagne bottle.

"In essence you could be!" Dr. Bunsen Honeydew observed, pouring himself a glass of the bubbly. "With Muppet Labs' new De-Sizer!"

"Mee me mo me!" Beaker said, reaching for the champagne.

"Jou better not have any wine mumbly," Pepe took the bottle from Beaker. "Jou already sound funny enough."

"Just keep the wine away from Animal man," Floyd Pepper wrapped his arm around Janice. "You've all seen him on caffiene, alcohol's even worse."

"BUBBLY! BUBBLY! Ah ha ha!" Animal hopped up and down in his tattered tuxedo.

Down at the end of the train depot sat Fozzie and Rowlf in their own tuxedos. Rowlf let his bow tie dangle from his neck and leaned back against the bench as the Muppets waited for their train home. "Some party, eh Fozzie?" the dog asked.

"Oh yeah Rowlf," Fozzie nodded, loosening his own tie. "A great way to start a new year."

"Acutally, we'll probably be starting the new year on the train," Rowlf smirked.

"Well, we'll surely be starting off on a roll! Get it? Wocka! Wocka!"

"I've got a resolution for ya Foz," Rowlf said.

"What's that?" Fozzie asked.

"Fire Gags Beasly," Rowlf patted Fozzie on his shoulder.

Fozzie laughed softly and stared down at the train tracks. "It was a good year Rowlf."

"That it was Fozzie, that it was."

"We did a whole lot, that's for sure."

"Yup, not the most we've ever done, but we did some stuff," Rowlf observed.

Fozzie nodded. "Kermit got his book written."

"I got mentioned in a book."

"Kermit and Piggy made some appearances, and we got out a new album."

"I was on an album," Rowlf grinned.

"C'mon Rowlf, everyone loves you," Fozzie reassured his friend.

"I know Fozzie, and I love my life, and I know that it's just gonna keep gettin' better next year."

"Yeah, mine too."

"As long as I've got you guys as my friends," Rowlf looked down at the group of Muppets celebrating with the wine that was now covering most of them.

"You know Rowlf, no matter how much I like years past," Fozzie said. "I always look forward to years that are coming."

"Me too Fozzie, me too."

<^><^><^><^><^>

Clifford plopped himself down on the couch in the Muppet Boarding House and opened his soda. He took a sip and flipped the TV on, watching the ball getting ready to drop in front of him.

He hummed to himself the tune of "Auld Lang Syne" (he didn't know the words to sing it), and propped his feet up on the coffee table, making himself comfy.

From the kitchen came the Swedish Chef in all his confusion. The Scandanavian cook wiped his hands on his apron and took his hat off, rubbing his bald spot and taking a seat on the floor.

Next to the couch where Clifford sat were Statler and Waldorf in their two armchairs and their bathrobes. Both were sound asleep with matching champagne glasses cupped in both of their hands. Clifford would wake them up before midnight came.

Lew Zealand came quietly down the stairs, so not to break the serenity of the gathering. He giggled like always and propped himself up on the armrest of the couch and watched the TV.

"Happy new year, ya'll," Clifford whispered.

"Happy new year."

"Glyly yoor nee."

"Eh... What's so happy about it?"

"Yeah, the bear's still tellin' jokes, and we're still listenin' to them."

"Heh heh."

Clifford shook his head. "And days of Auld Lang Syne..."

<^><^><^><^><^>

Sweetums stretched himself out on the floor of Robin's bedroom. The tiny frog sat perched on Sweetums' chest in his red rocket pajamas. "How much longer now Sweetums?" Robin whispered to his monster friend.

"Not too much longer little buddy, just sit tight," Sweetums responded.

Robin yawned and stretched his little arms. "Oh good, cause I'm pooped."

"Ya did have a big day today," Sweetums said.

Robin nodded drowsily. "I know, but I promised myself I'd stay up this year."

"Ya know little buddy, there'll be 365 more days of this year for you to stay up for," Sweetums said.

Robin giggled. "I know Sweetums, but none of them are this important!"

"Alright little buddy, just don't stay up too long."

"I-" Robin yawned. "I won't."

Sweetums grinned. "I knew you wouldn't."

<^><^><^><^><^>

The dimly lit ballroom sparkled thanks to the spledid gown that sat on Miss Piggy's figure.

In the middle of the ball room danced the happy couple, flipper, hoof, flipper, hoof, back and forth, back and forth. For at least an hour they had been dancing to the silent tune of the band long gone.

At the edge of the light sat a lone round table. In the center, a melting candle flickered at the end of its wick as wax caught on the edge of the candlestick.

A half empty (or half full) bottle of champagne adorned the table with two shining glasses with hints of the liquid left at the bottom.

"You look gorgeous Miss Piggy," Kermit whispered to her.

"You've been saying that all night Kermie," Piggy blushed.

"It's still true."

Piggy squeezed her frog close and hummed "Auld Lang Syne." Kermit began to hum with her before speaking up.

"You know Miss Piggy, you're one auld aquaintince I never want to forget."

"Oh Kermie..."

<^><^><^><^><^>

The train pulled into the station and all of the Muppets began to load on.

All but one, one quiet Muppet, sitting in the shadows.

When all of the Muppets had gotten onto the train Zoot stepped out of the shadows with his saxophone.

The burnt out musician put his instrument to his green lips and blew somber notes of "Auld Lang Syne" before silently getting on the train.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
AWWW. That was very sweet, especially the little moment with Robin and Sweetums. Great little story prawnie.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Great story Ryan... But it makes me a bit depressed.
Not cause of the story, but due to my own foibles. Oh well, I'll probably contact you guys about that later.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
OH THAT IS GORGEOUS! Oh gosh, Prawnie, I needed that... I love the description of the candle on the table. I mean, I loved all of it, but that description really stick out to me. (Lots of Jewish holidays involve candles... I've spent lots of time watching them over the years.) The whole thing is just gorgeous... and then ending with that image from Vic's visual! TERRIFIC! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, I never fully read the fan-fics here because they're usually so long and I also tend to get them mixed together, and I've certainly never had one dedicated to me! That was really fun, Ry. I hafta' admit though, I'm curious as to what Animal would be like on alchohol! Also, I can't help but think the Piggy/Kermit moment was a nod to the New Year's visual that might have been. Thanks so much for that, man. And now I know why Zoot's there!

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, how lovely and atmospheric, Prawnie! And what a wonderful idea to base it off of Vic's amazing artwork... and for me, it's an extra treat, ushy gushy girl that I am (like you didn't know) to see the fruition of some of Vic's other ideas... including that ballroom scene.

I do believe this has made my New Year's Eve... as sad and pathetic as that is.

theprawncracker said:
"Whoo! I wish I was that cork!" Gonzo the Great shouted as he blew open antoher champagne bottle.
<grins> How very Gonzoish, and a great openning bit of dialogue.

"In essence you could be!" Dr. Bunsen Honeydew observed, pouring himself a glass of the bubbly. "With Muppet Labs' new De-Sizer!"

"Mee me mo me!" Beaker said, reaching for the champagne.

"Jou better not have any wine mumbly," Pepe took the bottle from Beaker. "Jou already sound funny enough."
<grins> Has anyone ever told you you have a fabulous sense of humour, Prawnie? Oh... that many times, huh? Well,... add one more to the pile.

"Just keep the wine away from Animal man," Floyd Pepper wrapped his arm around Janice. "You've all seen him on caffiene, alcohol's even worse."

"BUBBLY! BUBBLY! Ah ha ha!" Animal hopped up and down in his tattered tuxedo.
<laughs> Awesome... it's SO much fun to make a crazy character even crazier.

Down at the end of the train depot sat Fozzie and Rowlf in their own tuxedos. Rowlf let his bow tie dangle from his neck and leaned back against the bench as the Muppets waited for their train home. "Some party, eh Fozzie?" the dog asked.
Oh, these two always have such interesting conversations. I don't know quite what it is about the two of them find so appealing, but I love seeing them chatting together. Anyway, I love the whole, after the party, atmosphere... it's wistful, almost melancholy... which reflects the atmosphere in Vic's work perfectly. Love the loose ties.

"I've got a resolution for ya Foz," Rowlf said.

"What's that?" Fozzie asked.

"Fire Gags Beasly," Rowlf patted Fozzie on his shoulder.
[/quote]

Ooh, loved this... a joke about Fozzie's jokes, but... such a gentle way of doing it... very Rowlf-ish. Well done, Prawnie. The whole conversation is so sweet, and upbeat... and generally lovely. I loved the references to the projects they HAVE done, and Rowlf's pointing out that he got to do somehting... again, very sweet, very funny, and very much in keeping with Rowlf's character.

I LOVE character humour.

"As long as I've got you guys as my friends," Rowlf looked down at the group of Muppets celebrating with the wine that was now covering most of them.
<gets needlessly sappy> Yeah... I know how you feel there Rowlf. <hugs Prawnie, Lisa, Beau, Catherine, and many others>

Clifford plopped himself down on the couch in the Muppet Boarding House and opened his soda. He took a sip and flipped the TV on, watching the ball getting ready to drop in front of him.

He hummed to himself the tune of "Auld Lang Syne" (he didn't know the words to sing it), and propped his feet up on the coffee table, making himself comfy.
I love that Clifford doesn't know the words to auld lang syne...nice character detail there Prawnie. I've never really gotten that thing with the ball, but hey... you're American... you have a right to be crazy. :wink: Love the Chef taking a break, and Statler and Waldorf sleeping... Lew quietly moving down the stairwell, it all adds to the scene. Cute, and funny!

Sweetums stretched himself out on the floor of Robin's bedroom. The tiny frog sat perched on Sweetums' chest in his red rocket pajamas. "How much longer now Sweetums?" Robin whispered to his monster friend.
Oh, isn't that precious. I love the friendship between the two of them... and Robin is SO adorable... yeesh, I've been spending too much time with Lisa. I guess I just love the thought of Robin in red rocket pyjamas, trying to stay up.

And now... the part I'm constantly waiting for... <rolls eyes at self>

The dimly lit ballroom sparkled thanks to the spledid gown that sat on Miss Piggy's figure.

In the middle of the ball room danced the happy couple, flipper, hoof, flipper, hoof, back and forth, back and forth. For at least an hour they had been dancing to the silent tune of the band long gone.
<melts> Ooh, that's sooo romantic. <giggles> I'm not quite sure about what I think of the hoof thing... <shrug> I guess she IS a pig... sounds a little funny to my eyes, that's all. Anyway, back to the romance... dancing to the silent tune of the band long gone... ooh... what a lovely image. Oy... you learn verry well, young Prawdawan. You'll be out ushy gushying Lisa and Ru one of these days... and you already out gushy me!

At the edge of the light sat a lone round table. In the center, a melting candle flickered at the end of its wick as wax caught on the edge of the candlestick.

A half empty (or half full) bottle of champagne adorned the table with two shining glasses with hints of the liquid left at the bottom.
As Lisa already mentioned, the description of the candle is wonderful... actually, this has some of the most detailed, entrancing description you've ever written Prawnie. Love the half empty/ half full joke there.

"You look gorgeous Miss Piggy," Kermit whispered to her.

"You've been saying that all night Kermie," Piggy blushed.

"It's still true."
I don't do this a lot for your stories, so allow me to:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, felt good. Kermit, you sly frog! That champagne, and the general ambiance, has given him quite the silver tongue! Not that I'm complaining mind you.

Piggy squeezed her frog close and hummed "Auld Lang Syne." Kermit began to hum with her before speaking up.
Oh, the two of them humming together. Yeesh... I'm melted in to a puddle again. Anyone got a mop?

"You know Miss Piggy, you're one auld aquaintince I never want to forget."

"Oh Kermie..."
Wow... what was in that champagne! Kermit calling Piggy gorgeous repeatedly, Piggy sighing happily, (instead of sending him flying) for calling her an "auld" acquaintance.... shocking stuff. <giggles> Sorry... couldn't resist. I love it, Prawnie; I really do.

The burnt out musician put his instrument to his green lips and blew somber notes of "Auld Lang Syne" before silently getting on the train.
Ooh, what a wonderful way to end it, back to that haunting image again. Prawnie, I'm TRULY impressed at your description in this one... definately the most visual story I've seen from you... just, like Piggy, gorgeous.

Katzi428

Reaction score
LOVED it Ry!!:big_grin: Happy New Year to you too!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Gonzo: Of course, in Miss Piggy's case we'd have to sing...

*Muppets, led by Gonzo before the rest pick up on the joke and harmonize in tune just at the last second...
In days of auld lang swine.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Aww! This is so cute! It makes me all giggley..."The swine?" Nope, everything...giggley, and happy, and thoughtful. Loved the Sweetums moment, though he seemed younger than usual for some reason. Nice Clifford bit there, away from the others, yet connected. Nice Gonzo lines (as per usual from the Prawn).

Fabulous ending.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Nice story Ryan! Great way to start the New Year! I really enjoyed it, especially the scene with Rowlf and Fozzie, two characters we don't see together enough. Also really liked Robin and Sweetums. Very nice! Happy New Year to you!