DC Almost Alive and Well

Ruahnna

Reaction score
(This is a fanfic based on the special last night. Here's the first installment....)

“So—that’s it. That’s all the raw footage. What’d you think?” asked Scooter.
“I think I liked it,” said Kermit. “We’ve got some good stuff here. Plenty of stuff to edit down.” He nodded solemnly, looking content. It was an expression that Kermit was exhibiting more and more as their collective fortunes took an upturn. Kermit turned in his chair and looked at Scooter. “Anything you think we ought to cut?” he said dryly.
Scooter looked up hopefully. “If I get a vote, how about the chorus number with the penguins?” Behind the glasses, Scooter’s eyes were guileless, totally innocent.
Kermit managed not to smile. “But Scooter,” he pointed out, playing the devil’s advocate. “That’s your only number in the whole show. Don’t you want to be in the special?”
There was a split-second pause while Scooter shifted from polite and deferential to honest and wry.
“Um, in that number? Not really.”
“I thought it was, um…you know, it was—“
“Terrible?” asked Scooter. Kermit started to argue with him and then subsided.
“Yeah, I guess it wasn’t one of our best. Whoever wrote March of the Penguins has obviously never tried to teach a penguin to keep time to music.”
“Tell me about it,” said Scooter, wincing as he shifted his booted foot.
“How are the toes coming?” asked Kermit solicitously.
“Doc says I’ll be out of this moon boot in a coupla days.” He smiled ruefully. “I can wiggle all of them now, so I must be improving.”
“Well, thanks for your help, Scooter. You heading right out?”
“Nope,” said Kermit’s assistant cheerfully. “I’ve got a couple of things to tie up here since I’ll be gone for a few weeks, and Nick said I could come and hang out with them until their concert tonight.”
“Nick Jonas?”
“Uh huh.” He looked at Kermit hopefully. “Um, do you think my hair looks like Nick’s?”
“Well, um, gee,” said Kermit, taken off guard. “I never really thought about—oh! Look at the time. Here—let me get the door for you.”
Scooter sighed. Oh well—at least he’d get to hang out with the brothers, at least. That was better than being stepped on by penguins any day.
“Thanks, boss,” he said automatically, as Kermit held the door.
He hobbled a few steps and then turned as Kermit called his name.
“Um, Scooter?”
“Yeah, Boss?”
“You really think we should cut the penguin chorus number?”
Scooter nodded firmly. “Yep,” he said. He started to turn--
“And, um, Scooter?”
“Yeah, Boss?” Scooter hid the smile that wanted to break across his face. Kermit obviously had something else to ask him but he didn’t seem to be able to get it out.
“Do you, um, I mean…so, you like these Jonas Brothers? They seem, um, nice?”
It was Scooter’s turn to be caught off guard. “Um, sure. They seem like real great guys. Why?” he asked, although he had a theory or two.
“Oh, no reason. Just, you know, I didn’t work with them myself. They only worked with…um, that is, Piggy worked with them. I, um, worked with Ashley Tisdale and uh, Brenda Song.”
“Don’t remind me,” Scooter groaned under his breath, but Kermit didn’t hear him.
“Along with Piggy, I mean,” Kermit continued. “But Piggy worked with the Jonas Brothers by herself—I mean, she was with them, but—“ Kermit sighed and forced himself to stop babbling, but Scooter’s smile was gentle.
“So you were just, you know, wondering if they were polite and everything?”
“Exactly,” Kermit said, relieved at being read so well. He had, after all, seen the footage they’d shot. He knew perfectly well that the Jonas Brothers had been the soul of politeness to Piggy, somewhat awed by her take-charge attitude. It was hard NOT to be awed by Piggy—and her attitude—but they had seemed more than accommodating as she had playfully shang-hai’d their song and their part of the show.
For her part, Piggy had seemed to be enjoying it—enjoying it a lot. The novelty of being a brunette had struck her as fun. “I’ll be the anti-Hannah Montana,” she had quipped. And with the help of a little splicing and dicing, Piggy had seemed to transform herself from hair-curlered diva-in-waiting to “sister” Joan in short order. In reality, Piggy had merely darted off camera, taken off the hair-curler wig and tossed it and then had about sixteen waiting hands to tuck her piles of blonde curls up under the short brunette mop-cap that turned her into an honorary Jonas. Kermit had watched from the sidelines as Piggy had shaken her flaxen hair free from the curler-wig, registering the wide-eyed admiration from Joe, Kevin and Nick Jonas with something like annoyance. Then, re-coiffed and with a quick change, Piggy had (again, magically with the help of film splicing) materialized back on camera to wow them with her vocals.
They had enjoyed it. Truth be told, Kermit had enjoyed it. It had actually been sortof nice to not be in front of the camera for a moment and just watch Piggy work. But Kermit thought guiltily that he would have enjoyed it a lot more if he’d somehow been in this scene with her like she had been in all the scenes with him. He stopped and made a scrunchy face, pondering, and wondered if Piggy had somehow planned it that way.

“You’re going to cut my number? But—but Pepe and Rizzo got to be on the special,” said Fozzie. His expression was crestfallen.
“Well, yes, but just in the beginning,“ Kermit began diplomatically. He had been disappointed with the 30-minute time limit—less, counting commercials—but then, the original show had only been 30 minutes. Time is relative, he thought glumly. “Fozzie, I just looked over all the footage and I think your humor is, um, it’s, um, well it’s too….”
Kermit hoped that Piggy might jump into the gaping hole in the conversation but she was—for once—waiting patiently at his elbow, apparently texting someone on her phone. Kermit looked up, desperately groping for words, and saw Fozzie’s big sad eyes staring back at him.
“It’s too…sophisticated for some of the younger members in the audience.”
Fozzie’s eyes widened, making him look like a big cub himself. “Really?” he said. “You think it was too, um…deep?”
Piggy made a sound that might have been a snort and Kermit interposed himself smoothly, taking Fozzie’s elbow.
“Yeah. I think we should save your routine for…well, for something else.”
“Gosh,” said Fozzie wonderingly. “I wasn’t trying to be too, you know, above their heads.”
“Oh, yeah, Fozzie,” Kermit said, seizing on this line of thought. “The rubber chicken bit? That was for, you know, a different, more, um….”
“Less technology-obsessed audience,” Piggy said, without once looking up from her phone. Kermit could have kissed her.
“Yes, exactly,” he said.
“Oh.” Fozzie still looked disappointed, but not crushed, and his forlorn expression made Kermit remember something.
“But you were mentioned in one of the clips that we are going to use,” Kermit said, brightening. “When I was dancing with Ashley Tisdale, she said….” The amphibian trailed off, suddenly remembering his promise.
“Yes?” said Fozzie breathlessly. “Ashley Tisdale said what?”
“Um, she said, you were, um, someone that she, um—“
“Blondie had a thing for you,” said Piggy, again without looking up.
“Piggy!” Kermit said, putting his hands on his hips, but Piggy just shrugged.
“He’ll see the clip eventually,” she insisted.
For a moment, Fozzie looked like he might swoon. At last, the power of speech seemed to return.
“Um, had or has?” he whispered.
“Um….”
Piggy snapped her phone closed. “You should go find out,” said Piggy decisively. “She’s in her dressing room changing so she can go to the mall with Moi.”
“Piggy, you just can’t—the mall? You’re going to the mall? But you’re supposed to be going with me to—“
“Oh, yes, mon chere,” Piggy said, turning to him with her eyes carefully downcast. “I’m sorry I have to cancel our plans, but if Ashley and I are going to get back in time for the Jo-bro concert tonight—“
“Concert? You’re going to their concert, too?”
Something in Kermit’s tone must have communicated itself to Piggy for she paused and looked at him closely.
“Um, I suppose we could ask them to dig up another ticket for you, Mon Capitan,” she said, the endearment softening her tone.
Kermit sighed and shrugged. It was not quite the evening he’d had planned. “Well, I suppose we could ask,” he said morosely.
“Ohh! In that case, you can come with Moi and Ashley to the mall!” Piggy squealed. Kermit rallied at the enthusiasm in her voice.
“Really? You want me to come with you?”
“Of course, Kermiem my love,” she said warmly. She pulled out a tube of mocha magic lipstick and applied it artfully without looking. When she was done, she smiled at him, and his little froggy heart went pitter-pat. “We need someone to carry our packages!” Piggy said. The pitter-pat was replaced with a sinking feeling.
“Um, okay, Piggy,” Kermit sighed. Piggy turned to him and, to his surprise, bussed him sweetly on the cheek, leaving traces of mocha and magic.
“Thank you, Sweetie,” she said.
For a moment, Kermit’s spirit shot toward the stratosphere, but Piggy’s next words brought him sharply back down to earth.
“Oh, and Kermie? Bring your credit card.”

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Wow! This story is great! I liked the last line: "Oh, and Kermie? Bring your credit card." XD Pure hilarity right there. Brought him down to earth and into a crater.

It's a wonder why fanfics don't come with their own live laugh tracks...

Anyway, great story! I can't wait for the next part1

~ AnimatedC

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha huh? How is it you do this Aunt Ru? Take something that might've been just sort of okay like Studio DC... And then turn it into something so wonderful that I just have to have more?

Yes, Kermit... You should be apprehensive about going to the mall with Piggy to carry her bags. Just look at what happened in Once Upon My Heart, another fanfic story.
Nice that Scooter got his shot in there with the penguins. Too bad his number got cut. Though maybe not... Someone posted that Muppet Wiki says there's a second special scheduled for October. Whether that comes or not, I can't wait for the next segment of this from your little loving frog-and-piggy hands.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
LOVE it Ru! *HUGS Fozzie!* Way to go Ru! Can't wait to see more!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<GLOMPS THE RU!> <Ahem> <is content> FOZZIE! I was wondering where he was last night. JEALOUS FROG! Happy Lisa. SHOPPING!

I am pleased. Greatly. Very very greatly. But of course I am. It's YOU! YAAAAAAAAAY!

MORE PLEASE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Misskermie

Reaction score
Wow, I just loved it! I especially loved it when Kermit was happy Piggy wanted him to tag along, but then it only so he could carry bags! Ha!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Wow. This one has been waiting patiently for a long time. But you know I ALWAYS finish what I start writing here, so here's a little bit to get it going again.... (Given the thing I have fore Gonzo, you know I would like Brian Spanek...such a cute, geeky guy, even without fur....)

Gonzo was having a field day backstage—literally. They finally had to ask him politely to stop vaulting over the backdrops and hanging from the cables.
“I don’t get it,” Gonzo grumbled. “Everybody says the rides at Disneyworld are so fun.”
“I know, right?” responded a deep voice. Gonzo saw a broad back in a uniform shirt, bending over a package of some sort. “It’s always ‘Don’t touch that—you’ll get electrocuted’ and ‘Don’t smell that—you’ll pass out.’ You’d think they’d give a guy a little—“ The speaker stood up, turned and fumbled the package. “Oh! Omigosh! It’s him! It—I mean, it’s you! Gonzo!”
Gonzo was used to being greeted with pointing and screaming, but this seemed to be mostly positive. That was different. “Um, hi,” he said uncertainly.
“Omigosh! You sound just like him! I mean—you. You sound just like you!” The man almost dropped the package twice more and finally succeeded in putting it down on the ground. He stood up straight, towering over Gonzo, and held out his hand.
“Hi,” he said, grinning hugely. “I’m Brian Stepenek. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
Recognition bloomed on Gonzo’s face when the man smiled. “I know you, too,” he said excitedly. “You’re the maintenance man on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”
“Guilty,” Brian said, pleased at being recognized.
"Corwin, the mainenance man?" Gonzo ventured.
"Um, Arwin, the maintenance man, " he corrected, with no sign of being dismayed that Gonzo didn't remember his character's name. “But, I only get to play the maintenance man,” he admitted, his expression morose. He looked at Gonzo ruefully. “They don’t let me actually work on the stuff. They have, oh, mechanics and prop people for that. I just get to play with it when the cameras are rolling.”
“Where do they roll them?” Gonzo quipped, and they both laughed.
“Funny!” said Brian. “You’re really funny.”
“Thanks,” said Gonzo. “You’re really…gosh. Nice set you got here.”
“Oh! I can show you around! They let me do that.”
To Gonzo’s delight, Brian took him on a tour of all the official places and then on another tour of the unofficial places. They checked out the vending machine, the little doors that said “Authorized personnel only” and the maintenance closet of the real maintenance worker.
“He, uh, let’s me look at his stuff,” said Brian proudly. “As long as I don’t bother the plungers.”
Inevitably, they ended up in the commissary. Rizzo and Pepe were already there, snarfing down nachos, and there were a lot of familiar faces from popular Disney shows. Gonzo did the introductions with his friends, and then waited patiently as clumps of actors and actresses came by to meet ‘Brian’s new friend’.
“Wow, Brian,” said one of the girls from the set of Hannah Montana’s high school. “You guys have the same hairdo.”
Brian put one hand on his own head and the other on Gonzo’s. “You’re right!” he cried, delighted. “That’s sooo cool.”
Gonzo seemed to find that equally amazing. “Gosh,” he said. “Maybe we’re related. Any of your relatives furry?”
Brian thought for a moment. “My Aunt Harriet?” he said, and shrugged.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. You found time to update this one? FYI: At the moment, this is your only story in need of completion, besides KG of course.
Nice segment giving Gonzo a showing of fannish praise/glee from someone glad to meet the weirdo for the star that he is. Thanks for this.
*Heads back to the library, I'm up to the S's in the first completed stories section.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
Haha- Brian's reaction to seeing Gonzo sounds like what I imagine would happen if ever met the weirdo in person. This was a great chapter!

Hubert

Reaction score
Cool, I like this a lot. It at least turns this less-than-mediocre special into something worthwhile...

But you have some great lines put in here, really good stuff. Love both posted parts of this. :smile: