Dead Puppets Society: Female Muppet Chapter

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, maybe Matt Vogel can do Biff now, and that would at least give us a reason to bring Roxy back.

On that same token, I think Lulu had just a LITTLE more potential... if anything, she had some rather interesting chemistry with Cookie Monster... but then again, it seems like Prairie Dawn's got things covered in that department anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • Elizabeth (Stephanie D'Abruzzo) A green AM girl from 1998 to 2001, with a slight New York accent; adored her pet kitten Sparkles (later Little Murray Sparkles, whom appears to be just a generic cat now). Retired/rejected possibly due to Stephanie's involvement with Avenue Q.
  • Lulu (Stephanie D'Abruzzo) Originally a blue monster with blonde hair, but later a lavendar monster with purple hair created by Stephanie to add a new female monster to the street. She was definitely dropped because of Stephanie's involvement with AQ.
I really wish Stephanie did more for the character of Elizabeth. She's the one Muppet I have NO problem saying I hate (her and Miss Mousey, but to be fair, they didn't give Mousey a heck of a lot of character development, but did give her an ugly design and 17th century clothes to wear). Like I said before, the character was basically doing the same schtick as Humphrey and Ingrid, only with a cat instead of a baby, and not over the top enough to be funny. She was like a completely lobotomized version of Elmyra, if anything. And the cat didn't seem to mind her smothering love, which kinda takes the joke out of an overenthusiastic cat owner.

But Lulu is kinda a shame. She had the potential to be a weird and wacky female character, but as her puppeteer left for Broadway, the character faded out.

I also feel the need to bring up Betty Lou. She's amazing in the fact that she barley was on Sesame Street as a named character. For the most part she was "little unnamed girl in sketch about generic little girl." Then when they gave her a personality, they gave her the stock "energetic Tom Boy" clearly to counteract Prairie's oh so precious, precocious little girl character. Except for the fact that Prairie is a caricature of that, and the only sane woman (I got really addicted to TV tropes BAD), making Prairie a funny character.

Lemme put it this way... Here's the parody of Olivia Newton John's Let's get Physical:
The official title is "Exercise with Grover," Grover being a background singer, in a sea of unnamed AM's sure, but a background singer. By the end of the song, he's in the far background. He doesn't even get over-exasperated and faint. That's how unpopular on the show Betty Lou is....

YET...

She's in much more merchandise than Prairie is in. She even had one of the coveted 35th anniversary Gund plush toys instead of Prairie, a popular character. That's like making Simpsons toys, and passing over Lisa Simpson for Janie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One of these days, when he least expects it, I'm going to submit some Elizabeth/Miss Mousy slash on deviantART, just to see what kind of reaction Drtooth has.

Unfortunately, in doing that, I'll probably be charged as an accessory to self-inflicted manslaughter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If by Slash, you mean

And having him punch both of them in the snoot, I'm all for it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I wonder what's going to happen to Ovejita now that the hosting format seems to be going .would she work in street scenes or will they just get rid of her?With a little development she could potentially be an interesting character. Although it could be a bit limiting as she doesn't speak english.Maybe Rosita could translate for her. Anyways,they are certainly filling the gap with female muppets with Prairie Dawn finally being incorporated back into the show and Segi being added to the cast.

Here's some old Muppets I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: In 1980 the show introduced Mona Monster who was Telly's older sister.Yes that's right,Telly had a sister. She only appeared a few times before disappearing.

Four years later the same puppet was reused as a one-off character in a song called "New Baby" which also used the puppet who would eventually become Natasha and the puppet who would become Humphry,Natasha's dad, as the mother.

In 1986 another monster named Juliet was introduced as Telly's good friend.They used the exact same puppet as the one they used for Telly's sister Mona. After around 1990 or 91 Juliet was quietly retired. Two years later the exact same puppet was reused once again as Ingrid,Baby Natasha's mom.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Strangely, Ovejita was still on the Thanksgiving Day parade float. No Murray, not even by a different puppeteer, but she was still there.

Makes me wonder if they just grabbed a bunch of available puppets before the parade (since certain popular characters were missing), or they plan to keep the character around without Murray, or just the most obvious "we spent a crapload for this puppet and we're going to get our money's worth in spite of logic" as they are one to do.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Strangely, Ovejita was still on the Thanksgiving Day parade float. No Murray, not even by a different puppeteer, but she was still there.

Makes me wonder if they just grabbed a bunch of available puppets before the parade (since certain popular characters were missing), or they plan to keep the character around without Murray, or just the most obvious "we spent a crapload for this puppet and we're going to get our money's worth in spite of logic" as they are one to do.
They may use her as an AM animal like they have with Chicago the Lion or Davey and Joey Monkey. Although she may not work as a generic sheep because she's purple rather than normal sheep color.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Grundgetta was a relatively major figure from about the late eighties until around 2008-ish. Wonder why they use her less these days. I liked her because she showed people that girls can have a lot in common with their male counterparts (Oscar).Men and women are more alike then some want to believe and while we do have some differences we can still like many of the same things. She also showed that girls don't have to be happy all the time,there's a lot of pressure for females to be likeable when males can often say and do whatever they want and get away with it.:grouchy:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think Leslie Mostly and Flo Bear never worked because they were so darn boring. What do you guys think about these characters?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't even remember Leslie Mostly, but Flo Bear I always mistook for Mama Bear anyway, so, eh, I don't think much of her either way.