Dealing with depression and anxiety

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've had to listen to my mom for the last two ours go on and on about how my dad hates her and wants her to die. I can't stand this anymore. My mom has her own warped sense of reality. She's been crying about how my dad never gives her attention when my dad gives her nothing but undivided attention. Heck, my mom actually forbids my dad from spending any time with me. It's like she;s jealous about it. He can't even spend an hour and watch a movie with me.

(and currently, she JUST said my dad has no make everything about himself and said she wasn't talking about him at all in this rant of hers when yes, she has specifically been talking about him and complaining about how he doesn't love her and everything...)

My mom had breast cancer, yes, but ever since then, she's been a basket case and her mental stability has hit an all time low. She needs help and refuses to get it because in her messed up head, everyone else is wrong. She's been blaming the breast cancer for everything. She uses it as a sympathy card and honestly, I'm tired of it. She just has to tell random strangers about it.

The way she can go from screaming about how everyone hates her to a completely different topic is just abnormal....

She is now complaining about how my dad wants her to change her habits and how he is selfish (all because my dad said to clean the desk in her room off). My mom is complaining now about how....oh god forget it. I'm on the verge of tears right now having to listen to her. She is so erratic and jumps from topic to topic and just has a never ending rant that twists reality to her sick warped mind is just rediculous. I can't stand it any more. Maaybe I do need psychological help (like my mom has been saying that I NEED for the last 15 years...when it is her that needs it -_-) just so I can have someone to cry to. I can't tell her how I feel about this...

(she's now complaining that she's old and ugly...)

I cannot mentally take her talking like this every single night. It takes a toll on you. And she wonders why I don't want to spend time with her...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You are so lucky that you don't have to listen to her. She is so erratic that just typing how she is acting doesn't do it justice :sigh:

Basically, with my mom, if she's not happy, then no one can be happy...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm sorry Sarge, family is not an easy thing to say the least. Like others have said, hang in there.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm sorry Sarge. It's hard to have to deal with a unstable parent when you're living at home, since it's nearly impossible to remove yourself from that situation. It might not be a bad idea for you to seek out a counselor, because it's healthy to just have an opportunity to vent and share things. That's basically what I'm doing with my therapist now, and it helps a lot to know that it's okay to be angry and upset at situations like that.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I do live on campus during the weekdays, but I go home on the weekends because I can't stand the people in the room next to me, and I can hear them through the bathroom making noise until 4 in the morning, so I get very little sleep. At least at home I can actually sleep.

It just seems like my mom waits until I get home to start this. It's like she wants me to hear her. It doesn't help that my room is across from theirs. (no thanks to my grandmother who originally had the room. I'm still mad at her for that...)

But yeah, my college gives you 10 free councelling sessions in their health building, but honestly, they seem mean over there. I went there because I was concerned I had a sinus infection (I still think I did) and the nurse was kind of snotty to me, like it was all in my head. Um...I'm coming in, coughing my lungs out and had a headache for two days...no, it's not in my head :stick_out_tongue:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My school offered a similar package of sessions, and I was anxious at first, but it helped me. And it helped that it was in a separate part of the infirmary complex away from the health center, because those nurses were always so cranky there. They just threw Tylenol at people and told them to leave.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I had been having a bit of an anxious day at work, and was trying to keep it together the best I could, but then I found out when I got home that a friend of mine who I had made plans with for tomorrow can't make it, and I feel awful. I was really looking forward to seeing him and now I'm sad about it and nervous too.