1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Denny's Celebrates the Muppet Show Anniversary

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 15, 2002.

1. Phillip Administrator

Denny's restaurants and Jim Henson's Muppets have partnered for a summer celebration of 25 years of the Grand Slam Breakfast and The Muppet Show.
    Courtesy of Denny's

Beloved characters from the Muppet television series, including Kermit the Frog(TM), Miss Piggy(TM) and Statler & Waldorf(TM), the two heckling old guys in the balcony, will be featured in new commercials for Denny's that will begin airing nationally on May 20.

"We are pleased to celebrate the Grand Slam's 25th anniversary with the unique brand of fun that only the Muppets can deliver," said Nelson Marchioli, chief executive officer and president of Denny's.

"The Muppet Show and our world famous characters have been part of popular culture for 25 years," said Charles H. Rivkin, president and CEO of The Jim Henson Company. "Commemorating our silver anniversary together with Denny's ever-popular Grand Slam Breakfast seems like a natural fit."

Denny's is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the introduction of its signature Grand Slam Breakfast with a comprehensive advertising campaign, including television, radio and print as well as in-store point-of-purchase materials featuring the Muppets. The advertising creative was developed by WestWayne, Inc. of Tampa, Fla.

Jim Henson's Muppets(TM) have brought joy to generations for over 45 years. Notorious for their unique style of entertainment, the Muppets have become international superstars. This year they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Sho (TM), the Emmy Award-winning television series that aired in over 120 countries. The Muppets are pop culture icons with over 5,000 licensed products in the marketplace and promotional deals with NASCAR, UPS, McDonald's and Virgin Atlantic among others. These irreverent characters have recently appeared on MTV Music Awards, Access Hollywood, Today, Live with Regis and Kelly, Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and Hollywood Squares. The Jim Henson Company recently partnered with Fox Broadcasting Company to develop a new primetime Muppet series and is currently producing a Muppet holiday movie for NBC to air in 2002.

Denny's signature Grand Slam Breakfast® -- two fluffy hotcakes, two eggs, sausage and bacon -- was first promoted in May 1977 and remains the brand's best-selling entree. The Grand Slam Breakfast is available for only $2.99 from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny's locations. In addition, the company has introduced a new breakfast entree, Fabulous French Toast, and a BBQ Chicken Sandwich.

The Denny's commercial will air on national cable, including A&E, ESPN, The Family Channel, Lifetime and USA networks. The ad will also run on spot television in over 30 markets.

The Jim Henson Company, an established leader in family entertainment for more than 45 years, is a multimedia production company; one of the top character licensors in the industry; a leading publisher of children's books and home to Jim Henson Television, Jim Henson Pictures, Jim Henson Interactive, Jim Henson Home Entertainment and Jim Henson's Creature Sho (TM). The Company is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices and production facilities in New York and London. The Jim Henson Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of EM.TV & Merchandising AG based in Munich, Germany. The Jim Henson Company website is located at: www.henson.com.

Denny's is the nation's largest full-service family restaurant chain with more than 1,700 locations in the United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Guam, Mexico, New Zealand and Puerto Rico. Denny's is owned by Advantica Restaurant Group, Inc. (OTCBB: DINE - News), one of the largest restaurant companies in the United States.

A photo is available here.
  2. BlueFrackle Active Member

Phil,

Hey,
    what are these 'In store point of purchase' things ?

Are they gonna be like McDonalds toys or something?

Thanks
  3. MuppetQuilter Member

BlueFrackle

No idea what the in store point of purchase things are-- flyer-type ads? merchandise? but I plan to find out at the local Dennys this summer! If possible, I 'll pick up a couple extras for the non-US folk around here.

Wheee-- more Muppet commercials!
  4. pezbalubah Member

Sounds cool, hopefully they have merchandise! Probably no Pepe though cus of the whole Long John Silver thing, this sounds better.. I actually like Denny's. When did the Muppets appear on MTV? I missed that...
  5. radionate New Member

Being an ex-fast food collector, I'm well aware of the POP or In Store Point of Purchase stuff. These are normally not toys per say, but rather posters, ceiling danglers, window stickers, employee buttons, place mats, and anything else that might catch the eye of customers in the building.

(By the way guys, this is my first post! I've been struggling with the change from Delphi. I'm not to swift at times with computers, and this new board has intimidated me big time!)
  6. Zack the Dog Active Member

Yes I was very Happy to hear this!;-) I'm still mad a LJS for the drop of Pepe, do we know why they did it? atleast people will know the muppets are the muppets with Dennys! i never really eat at LJS anyways but i still wish it was going on.

i wonder if this still would happen if Pepe was not dropped and both were going on? hmm, i would guess not.

Zack)Rowlf the, what the heck do i know anyways,Dog.
  7. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Now what the heck am I going to eat at Dennys? LOL! Their food is toxic to a guy like me, but I'm glad to see the Muppets making their rounds in something. I just wish they'd pick a higher quality product.
  8. Zack the Dog Active Member

Jamie

Hi Jamie you could go in and just get a glass of water;-) and then take a muppet place mat or something.

Zack)Rowlf the,...uhh I hope it's not sink water?Dog.
  9. frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's true, kinda. I have done that in many restaurants because I kind of have to. I'm picky about what I eat, but still want to be social with my friends. It's just a shame that the American diet is made up of such terrible things IMHO:eek: I shouldn't single out only Dennys though - many restaurants are in the same boat. I can't believe they're doing the commercials. I wonder it it will be Frank's voice as the pig. Will Pepe sneak in there with a doggy bag from LJS? Is that why he left?
  10. pezbalubah Member

are you vegan frogboy? i'm just vegetarian so i get either their veggie burger or grilled cheese.. I really like their cherry stuff that they add to lemonade
  11. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm not a vegan. I have a corn allergy (which is in everything) and I'm kind of considered health nut by my friends. I'm was a vegetarian, but now I have fish, protein from gelatin and will start even eating chicken soon, but that's it. That is considered being a California vegetarian.

It's not just the food, it's how it's prepared and most restaurants prepare foods to be what they consider high taste - which means high fat, high cal etc. Dennys is just a good example. I'm pretty strict though. I really feel that there is no reason I should ever eat a pancake again so many people consider me weird. LOL! I just want to be healthy and on this planet for a long time so I have learned to be careful about what I eat for the last few years. It really effects mood and that effects the rest of my day and life etc. It's amazing how much so.

That's why it kind of upsets me to see the Muppets lend their name and image to a company that has likely contributed to an unhealthy public - especially when compared to the rest of the world. That and Dennys has a way of showcasing has-beens in their commercials and that may reflect negatively on the Muppets. It is good seeing them making the rounds again and maybe it will make America aware of them again. I just hope I don't have to eat a pancake or a dry iceberg lettuce salad to get some Muppet stuff.:)
  12. beaker Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!

Oh wow, thanx for posting that news phil! Oh man, I can feel it already, this summer is shaping up to be muppet-rific...and I was still blue about pepe being cancelled from ljs...WOW!
    Imagine seeing Statler and Waldorf on widely aired commericals?
    My goodness, this is too cool...and folks, you know what this means...Denny's tie in merchandise!!!

///beaker///

*who can just imagine what other muppet goodness is int he pipeline!*
  13. Zack the Dog Active Member

Yes! Denny's did have some nice All Dogs Go To Heaven "Charile and Itchy" chirstmas dolls back in 1999. (when the christmas specail came out)

Zack)Rowlf the, also an All Dogs Fan, and why not?!? Dog.
  14. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I liked the first All Dogs movie (not the other ones much though). It was an imaginative film.
  15. Zack the Dog Active Member

Jamie

Oh hi Jamie, thanks!

Yeah nothing can beat the first, it's just that Dom Deluse kept it going for me, Itchy's the best! Charile has three voice and of course i like Burt Renlonds the best;-)

Charile Sheen didn't work for me(2nd movie)Steve Webber(tv series and christmas video) I grew on because ot was in the series, and you get to know him better but it was just a much younger,un-wise, and silly Charile Barkin Dog, nothing beats burt!.

Zack)Rowlf the,I don't even know if you know what i'm talking abotu anymore.... Dog.
  16. EmmyMik New Member

You know, somebody should invent the Under 10 Word Press Release, because I still have not read more that 10 words of this press release (either that or it can rhyme and be a Dr. Seuss-like Press Release. With pictures! Lots and lots of pictures).

All that I've gathered so far is that the Muppets and Denny's are doing something.
  17. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Dennys will feature Muppets in their national commercials beginning today.

(Exactly 10 words)

If you would like to know more - Kermit, Miss Piggy, Statler and Waldorf are scheduled to appear. The Grand Slam and the Muppet Show are both celebrating their 25th aniversary.
  18. EmmyMik New Member

Frogboy

lol, thank you.

See, that wasn't so hard, now was it?

Whenever there's a press release, I'll be sure to call on you...

:D
  19. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I don't like the long press releases either. If it's more that a paragraph I skim through it.
  20. EmmyMik New Member

I kinda do that. However, I have the amazing talent to find the least important information.

So I usually just read people's responses. If something's talked about quite a bit, then it must be important.

Or I complain about the length of the press release...

:)