Despicable Me 2

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So anyway, when I went to see Brave tonight, during the never-ending previews, I saw apparently Despicible Me has caught sequelitis as well.

I actually didn't see the first one, I heard it was an okay movie, and it's always been my opinion that Steve Carell is a MUCH better voice actor than a live-action actor (at least his vocal performances have energy and charisma), but I'm just wondering, do you guys think this movie is deserving of a sequel, or do you think it's just another attempt at milking an animated movie for more than it's worth? I mean, I also saw the trailer for the next Ice Age movie, and it looks REALLY bland, and I've always said the original didn't need a sequel, let alone three of them!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Despicable Me was a sweet movie. My only complaint was there wasn't enough Mad Science for my tastes. I honestly don't know what a sequel could achieve that the first one didn't already. But hopefully there are better merchandising options this go around. I was humongously disappointed that I couldn't go out and buy a minion figure, and I still don't see why they forwent Burger King Kids meals for an even more calorie laden sugar crashing Ihop breakfasts. The potential for a series of vynal blind box minions was there as well. All we got were plush toys you have to win in a crane machine (in other words, something you can't win either).

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you brought this up since the boys and I watched this last night. At the end I remember thinking, awww I wonder how Gru and the girls are doing now. Agreed it was a sweet movie (minus the potty humor and tasteless photocopy bit), but I'm not certain there's a sequel there. Maybe if Gru trains the girls and they help him with his next plot? But then training children to do your evil bidding doesn't sound like it would fly with the general audience. :attitude:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I was humongously disappointed that I couldn't go out and buy a minion figure, and I still don't see why they forwent Burger King Kids meals for an even more calorie laden sugar crashing Ihop breakfasts. The potential for a series of vynal blind box minions was there as well. All we got were plush toys you have to win in a crane machine (in other words, something you can't win either).
Twinkie + googly eyes + black licorice ropes = instant minion. You're welcome!

snichols1973

Reaction score
Okay, this sounds strange, but in the scene where Gru goes to rescue the girls after Vector has just taken possession of the moon [DVD Chap. 18: Rescue], Edith and Agnes, the younger sisters, have just made it to safety, and Gru goes to rescue Margo, who is hanging on to the cable between Gru's and Vector's ships, a few seconds after Gru says "I'm coming, Margo. Hang on!", I hear what apparently sounds like a muffled "**** you", which doesn't show up on the captions, yet is indistinctly audible (the "F-bomb" )?

I just watched the movie on Disney Channel, and was shocked to hear it at about the same place as in the DVD [at about 1:21:15 according to the DVD timer].

If anyone has watched Despicable Me on cable or DVD, I'm quite stunned that it even managed to elude the censors, especially since the movie has a PG rating, and most of us might not have noticed this before, although we might want to take a closer examination of this particular section the next time we watch this....

Maybe it was my imagination; then again, I'm not quite sure, but I might have been mishearing things....

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Okay, this sounds strange, but in the scene where Gru goes to rescue the girls after Vector has just taken possession of the moon [DVD Chap. 18: Rescue], Edith and Agnes, the younger sisters, have just made it to safety, and Gru goes to rescue Margo, who is hanging on to the cable between Gru's and Vector's ships, a few seconds after Gru says "I'm coming, Margo. Hang on!", I hear what apparently sounds like a muffled "**** you", which doesn't show up on the captions, yet is indistinctly audible (the "F-bomb" )?

I just watched the movie on Disney Channel, and was shocked to hear it at about the same place as in the DVD [at about 1:21:15 according to the DVD timer].

If anyone has watched Despicable Me on cable or DVD, I'm quite stunned that it even managed to elude the censors, especially since the movie has a PG rating, and most of us might not have noticed this before, although we might want to take a closer examination of this particular section the next time we watch this....

Maybe it was my imagination; then again, I'm not quite sure, but I might have been mishearing things....
It could be a misunderstanding like in Enchanted.When Edward is standing on the bus some people swear he says "Get the F out of here", but he's really saying according to subtitles and if you listen carefully enough "Get the bus out of here.", but anyway I'm not sure how a sequel will be to this movie. I enjoyed it, but even after seeing Cars 2 (I did somewhat enjoy this movie, but it was the worst Pixar movie in my opinion and almost everyone else's), I could tell it was a very unnecessary sequel. I'll still check out this movie though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... I hate when people complain about swear based mondegreens. They are in your imagination, so there's no need to panic. There is no way a PG movie would get away with that, they're very thorough about those things.

I see there are minion figures... in Universal Studios! Even if this movie is far from being as good as the first, I still hope to see merchandising this time around.