1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ah. I see. You can see where I can get the confusion from as I only see action figures above the price of 15, mostly in the 25+ ranger per figure. 12.50 each isn't bad, but it's still having to buy two at once. Some can afford that easily, some are just going to have to sit this one out.

Personally, it's not just money, but space. While I'm missing a few figures and the backstage playset, the Muppet action figure collection I have takes up quite a lot of space. I'm much more excited about smaller, easier to collect and display figures anyway. I'm actually drooling over the prospects of the Minimates and I don't even like Minimates that much. That said, I am happy for the bigger figures, and very happy we're seeing Muppet Merchandise. Don't get me wrong. I feel that I already have enough Kermits and Fozzie for the moment. But it is a boon to those who haven't been around to get the line the last time. So, I am happy for them and cautiously optimistic this series will yield enough collectible characters to keep them happy.

Couldn't agree more, but there will be some fans that think this will be the opportunity to fill out the line of figures they missed/haven't been produced. I don't see that happening. I mean, sure, if you're missing a Gonzo or Piggy or something. But I do not see them filling out the Electric Mayhem band, the missing Pirates from MTI, or any character more obscure than Rowlf. Trust me. There will be those Muppet fans who will poopoo this entire line for daring not to go 20 series and giving us Fleet Scribbler in 5 color variants. That's how it is. NECA's Simpsons line never gave us Akira the Japanese guy who pops up as Japanese guy roles, and were completely different scale. I'm just saying, if you're missing Marvin Suggs, don't expect to see him unless the line is extremely successful.

Above all, the Palisades toy line was a special thing. It has never been done before or ever since. Too much of the Muppet collecting community refuse anything that isn't that quality or higher. I honestly want to see the other direction (like the Minimates). Smaller, collectible figures that are cost effective enough for casual collectors and yes even kids because kids buy toys too. I've been pleased with Disney's Muppets figure set, though disappointed the MMW set was the same figures (with a figure base so they actually stand up upgrade) with like 3 extra additions. Meanwhile Lion King got a massive set with such beloved characters as "third Wildebeest from the right" and "Flamingo from that one scene." A massive PVC set should have been sold with easily recognizable characters like Bunsen and Beaker. Especially since the Beaker plush sold the crap out as soon as it hit the market for TM.

jvcarroll likes this.
  2. Hartley

Hartley Member

I'm very much looking forward to seeing these new figures (although I also have a big Palisades collection so personally can do without more Kermits and Fozzies - five of each is quite enough!), I do wonder, however, how easy they'll be to get here in the UK...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Just a few days ago I went to Toys R Us to look at Mini Mates and Diamond Select figures in person. I don't think I saw any "Select" figures there (though I kept having trouble finding the logos for various toy companies), but I saw some mini mates and I think they looked okay. I was surprised to see that some had accessories (even if the accessories didn't seem that great, but they're not for properties I'm interested in). I wonder if the Muppet mini mates will have accessories. I could see removable hats being included for some characters, maybe instruments for the musicians (though I doubt Animal's drum set or Rowlf's piano would be too impressive).

It would be great if somebody from Diamond would join the forum, like how Ken and others from Palisades joined the forum. But that's wishful thinking. I think it's been a long time since we've had new members from any companies that made Muppet products.

With the action figures, I am slightly tempted to get that Fozzie just because I don't have the regular Fozzie from Palisades (I had gotten Vacation Fozzie for Christmas when it came out and didn't feel like having two Fozzie figures, but after I got Patrol Bear the following Christmas I regretted not getting the standard Fozzie), but then again, it will be packaged with Kermit, and I have the regular Palisades Kermit figure (and I almost considered not getting Kermit in the first place just because I already had so many Kermit toys but not much of the other characters).

4. los

los Active Member

Is $25 too much to ask for Kermit or Fozzie if you don't already have one and have an extra figure to giveaway to a new Muppet fan or introduce anyone to the Muppets?

5. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

There's really no advantage for a toy company to pick up the license just to fill out a preexisting collection. That's simple economics. The collectors interested in that should commission a sculptor to do those pieces. Expensive, but that's the way it goes.

Making these smaller would help with the space issue too. I'm kind of ready for some change.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  6. Drtooth

Indeed. But you know that some of the fanbase won't feel that way. I don't see this replacing the last line nor do I see it as an opportunity to fill in obscure characters collectors of the previous line wanted to see but were never made, or ones that were that they just never managed to buy. I'm actually pretty happy for this line, as it's Muppet merchandise and it's also for those who for some reason weren't around when the last line came out over 10 years ago.

That said, I hope we can avoid the dance of expecting way too much out of this line. We're going to have fans list figure possibilities up to series 15, with the most obscure characters only the diest of hard fans would want. Then if they're not made, the fanbase is going to blame everyone for it, except for the possibility that things weren't meant to be. Most of us were like that back then. I think the more reasonable thing to do is cautious optimism for the line, hope it does well, but not holding out for "Background Muppet that has only one iris from Any Old Iron."

7. jvcarroll

I still don't understand this pessimism. This is what it is and that's wonderful in itself. Diminishing that because it's not something else is useless.

Some fans want all sorts of unreasonable things. Heck, I want a robot ninja Kermit that's also my butler and I'd like him at a price point under $400. That's not going to happen and it's not particularly noteworthy either. ;)

8. Drtooth

What pessimism? I have the full support of this line. I'm just saying, there's going to be part of the fanbase that are either going to judge this line based on the last one, or think this is going to be some continuation when it isn't. And then there's going to be part of the fanbase saying "We're going to get [insert painfully obscure character here, I'm tired of making that joke] in series 20!" and then complaining that the line didn't get past the fourth or fifth wave. That's stuff that happens because it has. I totally was one of those people back in the last line, actually.

Cautious optimism not because it's Muppets. Cautious optimism because no one really buys action figures anymore. I'm happy we're getting Muppet stuff at all.

heralde likes this.
  9. DarkCrystal

DarkCrystal New Member

Hi guys,
    Wow, this new action figure line sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!
    What effect to you think it will have on the now-cult Palisades collection as far as value and rareness go? Not that the financial value of the palisades matters to me, more the cult aspect of it. Do you think this new range will try to imitate the Palisades line in detail and size? Let's hope they do a whole range of unmade-by-Palisades characters to make this new collection really worth the excitement!
    I'm sure the Palisades will always remain a special range but personally I am excited to see what this new collection will be like!
    Let's hope for some Fraggle Rock and perhaps even a Skeksi or two..??..?? ;)

Hartley likes this.
  10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Can't wait

DarkCrystal likes this.
  11. jvcarroll

The line isn't anywhere near a release date yet and already there are predictions of negative reception. That's pessimism. There will always be detractors, but after the years of complaining over Disney not releasing a proper line of Muppets toys and figures they're finally doing it. Who knows if it will be successful or what the end result product will be. It takes at least a good six months to get a figure through production and the rough designs are still unapproved. There's really nothing to do other than celebrate the potential at this point. The critiques should come once there's an actual product to look at. That's all I'm saying. :)

MuppetsRule likes this.
  12. minor muppetz

Yeah, I don't expect the action figure line to include anybody not made by Palisades (except maybe Walter, and a bigger maybe to Bean Bunny and Bobo). But I could see the Mini-Mates line including some characters that Palisades didn't make. But we'll have to wait and see.

Hmm, I wonder if a "Muppets Movies" wave of mini-mates would sell well. One consisting entirely of characters who mainly only appeared in movies. Movie-only characters aren't exactly "big guns", but I don't think any of the movies are too obscure. Maybe if they had an even number of movie variants and movie characters, with each two-pack pairing a character variant with a movie character (like a "big time producer Kermit" and Bubba the Rat, or Charles Dickens Gonzo and Clueless Morgan).

I remember when the Palisades line was out, while I wanted almost every recurring character from The Muppet Show (and one-shot characters from the movies) to be included, I actually didn't really have a desire for there to be characters who only appeared once on The Muppet Show. Up to the time when Angus McGonacle was announced for series 5, I hadn't thought of him as a one shot character. After all, I had noticed him in the background of the Gene Kelly episode and The Muppets Go to the Movies, so for a long time I thought he was a regular character (and yet for some reason hadn't noticed that I only knew of one major appearance by him).

jvcarroll likes this.
  13. jvcarroll

What I think we can expect:

• Newer characters like Walter, Pepe and Constantine will almost definitely be an inclusion somewhere down the line.
    • The success of the line depends on maintaining high sales - so tell your friends!!!
    • Figures representing projects like TMS, TMM, GMC, MCC, MT, MTI, TM and MMW are covered by Disney's complete ownership so they're likely to be included.
    • Figures representing projects like MTM, MFS and KSY are longshots because they require additional licenses from Sony Pictures.
    • If history tells us anything, figures representing projects like MB and JHH are less likely. Except for Bean Bunny, Disney hasn't shown much love for those properties in product development.
    • Characters from SS, FR, DC, Labyrinth, Storyteller etc are not owned by Disney and will definitely not be included in the figure selection.
    • It appears that the Diamond Select figures will be mostly heavy-hitters while the Mini-Mates will test the ground for the more obscure characters. In other words, if you want Diamond Select to make a Sal, you should probably buy the Mini-Mates one if they ever make him.
    • Figures take about 6 to 9 months from sculpt approval to store shelves so we might not see these until Christmastime. It could even be a year, but I hope not. It all depends how far along they are behind the scenes.
    • Finally, the success of this figure line will predict the success of other types of Muppet products. Go buy them!!!
    Just my two cents.

14. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

It's been so many years since Palisades, I so excited and ready for these new action figures. I'm happy that they're going to be bigger than the Palisades Action Figures, they'll stand out nicely on display.

Once they release Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and Animal that's where the real fun begins for me be it The Swedish Chef, The Electric Mayhem or any other secondary character. As far as characters we don't own in our Palisades collection other than Walter (maybe Constantine) I wouldn't really expect anyone else although I'll still wish and hope for a Bobo Bear and Uncle Deadly 2-pack... plus Bean Bunny, Sal Manila, Clueless Morgan etc...

This is why although I'm not that fond of the look of the Mini Mates I'm really excited about them because that's where we might have a chance of adding obscure Muppets to our collections. We have Scooter and Robin in series one that's a good sign ;)

jvcarroll likes this.
  15. jvcarroll

Who said these would be bigger than Palisades? Where is that sourced?

16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

So I have yet to see the book but what if they use the new encyclopedia that they recently published as a guide for what toys to make. That way we would get Sam and Friends as well.

17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

OK sorry for double posting, but I am looking at the Diamond toy website, and I like what I'm seeing out of there other products.

For sometime now on other threads on the forum, fans have said that the Muppet fandom is kind of like an underground fandom. However when Diamond starts making these toys it will put the Muppets in the "cult classic" category like a lot of there other products such as Clerks, Pulp Fiction, and Back to the Future.

I also think just by looking at there website that the market is going to be for more older fans, and collectors and not just kids. Which is also a plus in my mind. I think these toys will be a great move for the Muppets in the long run.

18. minor muppetz

I wonder if Sam and Friends would be allowed. Craig Shemin said in his Tough Pigs interview that Disney owns the characters but for some reason still needs Henson's permission to use them.

I wonder if that will be an issue. Sony owns the films, but Disney owns the characters (including original characters). I wonder how difficult it was for Palisades to include toys based on the movies that Henson didn't own.

I can't remember, but I think it was said by one of the tough pigs people, either on the forum or a Facebook comment, that the prototype sculpts shown were either bigger or smaller than what the final product will be. Who knows, maybe they'll be significantly bigger or smaller, or maybe a different size without really looking a different size.

19. jvcarroll

The size of the sculpts probably doesn't matter. They usually scale the figures down from the prototypes.

I doubt Sam & Friends is covered by the license. There are enough non-conflict characters in the Muppet library that Disney completely owns so it would make no financial sense to create figures of obscure non-Muppet Show characters with shared rights. I know Palisades wasn't allowed to do the purple version of Yorick. I had him mocked up to accompany Uncle Deadly, but they switched it to the TMS accurate Yorick for several reasons including rights/brand conflicts.

The Count likes this.
  20. j3h

j3h Active Member

We've been talking with a representative from DST about these Muppet figures over on the Fwoosh action figure forum and here are a few key points:
    • This line is going to be 7 inch scale, BUT that does not mean the muppets will be 7 inches tall...scale means that the Muppets will be appropriately in scale with human figures that are 7 inches tall. That means the Muppets will be about a inch or so smaller than Palisades offerings.
    • DST is not interested in being a continuation of what Palisades has done or didn't finish. So it is unlikely they will get to Sal Minella anytime soon.
    • Since these are two packs with accessories, it is unlikely that they will come with diorama display bases (which almost all of DST figures come with of some kind)
    • Everyone can direct questions to Diamond select online at www.artasylum.com and select "ask DST"
    • The Rep, "MSWord", did ask about versions of the main cast that have not been done or were hard to get. Naked Rowlf was immediately mentioned and he commented back that it ws a shame Dr. Bob was never made or the rest of the Vets Hospital cast. That's not a hint, but interesting the see the wheels turning.
    Personally I think the scale news is cool. DST wants the muppets to be in true scale to all their other action figure offerings...so Kevin Smith could be a guest star or Sam could interact with Captain America (and so on and so on)

I suggested that perhaps if they could find the budget, to include connectable/stackable archways from the opening for display. DST would only have to finance the tooling for one arch which would be issued over and over.