1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

WOW!

What about those Bunsen glasses tho? :confused:

That's crazy. How could a few accessories be worth $12? Except for :confused: & :eek:, I don't see how the accessories could be reduced for this wave; it's kind of all or nothing with the drum set and balcony.

Peeking out from behind Fozzie's head.

2. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Oh, never mind. I don't know how I didn't notice that.

3. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Maybe a table or a cabinet of sorts I dunno, though, why does B&B come with a telephone.

4. MuppetSpot

DST announced on Facebook that Animal comes with a stool.

5. christianpyro

christianpyro Member

Just heard from DST that the Statlor and Waldorf balcony backdrop is made of plastic and holds up the roof. (I was afraid it would be cardboard)

And the Bunsen and Beaker set do not come with a table. Don't know what the item in the lower left of the package is though.

6. MuppetSpot

DST said it was a test tube rack.

7. christianpyro

christianpyro Member

He didn't understand that guys question... The test tube rack is in the upper left hand corner. What I was referring to is is the large black thing in the lower left hand corner. It's large and oval and looks like a display stand.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  8. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

OK, 2 months ago I griped after buying Series 1 of the Diamond Select figures. I was a tad disappointed and stand by my criticism of the paintwork, particularly Kermit's pupils. But, after 2 months of having these sat in front of me, having seen the photos of Series 2 and now a sneak peek at Series 3, I'm all turned around on these figures!! The size no longer bothers me at all (though the UK price does) and the sculpts look pretty incredible!! I'm genuinely excited to get my hands on the second series, Animal in particular looks great!!! Hopefully, should this line prove popular enough, in time the problems with Series one may be addressed but on the whole, I am now (finally) happy that I did buy into this line and grateful we are getting anything this cool after recent announcements regarding the future of "The Muppets".

jvcarroll likes this.
  9. Rtec1

Rtec1 Well-Known Member

Yeah the UK price stinks, i love the figures but i had to pay £22.50 each from Forbidden Planet, even with the accessories thats very steep.
    Cannot wait to get my hands on series 2, they all look fantastic. But something tells me we're going have big problems with Beakers glasses!!!

10. MuppetSpot

I think you meant to say Bunsen's glasses.

11. Rtec1

Rtec1 Well-Known Member

yep i definitely meant Bunsen's

12. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I adore Palisades' classic rendition of the character, but I find Diamond Select's proportions, from head to toe, to be more accurate. We don't often see these fellas like this. It all presents a challenge. So, I felt like cutting together a demo photo. The bagginess of his coat is a challenge of its own, but I think DTS is as close as any figure has gotten.
    [​IMG]

LaRanaRene, Blue Frackle and Muppy like this.
  13. Rtec1

Rtec1 Well-Known Member

You're right, I think he looks absolute quality in that comparison pic!
    My personal opinion is that side to side the DST figures look much nicer than the Palisades. I loved them figures but these new ones are just more fun!

jvcarroll and Muppy like this.
  14. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

There are different design theories. Palisades really forged new roads with textures and plastics and they have some beautifully fluid designs.

DST clearly favors puppet accuracy. It was harder to tell in series one, but as more character are released we see a distinct course that's a little different than what came before.

I like both lines for different reasons. But the things I'm really digging about this one is that Animal is definitely Muppet Movie Animal. Piggy is a modern version of Caper Piggy. Waldorf resembles season one of the Muppet Show. And the smooshiness that the sculptors were able to achieve with Mahna Mahna's mouth is so wonderfully puppety. Gentle Giant is clearly stepping up and bringing their A-game to these. I only hope the paint apps do this justice.

15. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's just a whole tough thing trying to create figures for characters who weren't designed to be seen from the waist down; the rest of their body is kind of dwarf-like. I feel like Henson kind of half-***** it in shots where their full bodies are seen:

[​IMG]

Both are fair figures. Diamond did what he actually looks like, while Palisades made the best assumption possible. Maybe this line did need to be made after all...

[​IMG]

Comparing pics, I think Palisades made the better Kermit; Diamond's is too tall and skinny. I never understood Palisades' knock-kneed Kermit though; there must've been some way to make him stand correctly.

While Diamond's figures are more accurate to the actual puppets, I don't think any action figure line has ever, or will ever pour the amount of heart and soul that Palisades did in their Muppet line.

LaRanaRene and Rtec1 like this.
  16. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

A lot of websites are starting to post this description along with series 3 pre-orders; "It makes us very happy to introduce to you the next assortment of Muppets Select action figures from DST! Muppet Show and Up Late star Miss Piggy comes with her precious dog Foo Foo and a Penguin, while Electric Mayhem bassist Floyd Pepper comes with guitarist/love interest Janice, and pianist Rowlf comes with the certifiable Crazy Harry! Each multi-pack of 4-6" figures comes with accessories, including guitars, a movie camera, a detonator and a penguin!"

So this basically confirms that Crazy Harry is coming with a detonator, and one of the packs will include a movie camera (my money's on Piggy). Also, which figure would be 6'' tall? Because I know that Kermit is about three and a half inches in height, so whatever figure that the height applies to would tower over him. Are they just rounding up or are we going to have a gigantic figure this wave?

17. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

So I'm guessing that the general opinion is that Kermit is the least favorite figure out of the group. With that being said, do you think they'll ever make another Kermit figure? Better than the one we have now?

18. MuppetSpot

Maybe Rowlf will come with the camera like in the scene in TMM, though I hope we get a piano with Rowlf.

19. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it, I don't think they've ever even tried to show Rowlf from the waist down. He wasn't even in "Couldn't We Ride" in Muppet Caper.

20. floydnjanicefan

floydnjanicefan Well-Known Member

I think he's in a parachute at the end of the Muppet Caper, and possibly you see his full body in The Muppets 2011 hammock scene? Classic.

jvcarroll, Muppy and LaRanaRene like this.