1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Maybe we could get someone to visit Diamond Select's showroom, wearing glasses with a hidden camera in the frame, and get some pictures !!

Muppetboy09 likes this.
  2. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

i'm going to guess there finally going to reveal them at San Diego Comic Con that would be the most logical for them as more people will see them i'd be surprised if they don't show them off there. So if they do we'll hopefully see them in between July 8 to 12th.

jvcarroll likes this.
  3. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I also suspect they're taking their time to get these figures just right. Just a wild guess. ;)

KermieBaby47 and j3h like this.
  4. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Will the figures only be available at certain places, or can you just walk up to, say, Target and buy them?

5. j3h

j3h Active Member

A lot of DST figures are at toys r us. They will be available at any location that orders from diamond distributors...ie any comic store & online stores like big bad toy store.

6. j3h

j3h Active Member

7. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

The accessories for the Minimates are as follow
    Kermit will have Robin
    Piggy will have a boa
    Gonzo will have Camilla
    The Swedish Chef will have pot, spoon, and knife
    Fozzie will have a rubber chicken
    Scooter will have a clipboard and megaphone

I would have prefer a handbag for Piggy, a horn for Gonzo, and maybe a pie for Fozzie, but I like them from the pictures.

Waiter Grover likes this.
  8. jvcarroll

9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

They don't look bad.

So does this mean that Bunsen and Beaker won't be part of series one after all?

So Robin and Camilla are really just accessories, meaning that a couple of these are actually three packs. I thought those characters would be considered main figures.

10. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

Alright, overall, they don't look bad. Some of my problems are the conversion from 2D to 3D space. I will cover my nitpicks with each figure.

Kermit: I really have nothing bad to say about this figure
    Robin: Again, nothing terrible here
    Piggy: Her snout seems too long, and her hair covers most of her eyes
    Swedish Chef: The hair on the sides of his head being a 3D model just makes him look like Bozo the clown
    Camilla: Minor nitpick, I would've added on some eyelashes
    Gonzo: Not a fan of the color choice for his nose. I would've preferred a blue/purple blend
    Fozzie: I don't know why, but the whole textured and non-textured thing is not working for me. I just feel like they should've kept the body and ears flat like his face and arms
    Scooter: Oh my...As happy as I am that we are getting more Scooter merch, he looks like the ending of Happiness Hotel after their picture is taken. Also, his hair just looks like a pile of carrots

Again, these are just my personal opinions.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

After seeing what Mini Mates generally look like, these look better than I was expecting. They sort of look similar to the Muppet Vinylmation toys (only without Mickey ears and a lot more articulation).

I had been thinking that the whole Electric Mayhem should be included in the same wave, and this one doesn't have any of them (not even Animal), but now that I see it's three sets of figures (and one variant), I guess it'll just be an Electric Mayhem set (if we get one). Hmm, if they do, I wonder if it would include Lips (I'd include him with Animal, the most popular of the group) or Rowlf (to give the set two "big guns", though the whole "original five" should be close enough to big gun status).

Has anybody thought about asking Diamond Select Toys if the first wave of action figures will include anybody not in the first wave of Mini Mates?

12. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Might I ask what's up with Robin's legs? Is he sitting cross legged or was he in some terrible accident?

LaRanaRene and Muppetboy09 like this.
  13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Ah, the return of Bluenoser Gonzo and Bug-Eyed Scooter. :scary:

Personally, I would have prefered Piggy come with Foo-Foo instead. Meh, I can't really pass judgment until I have a chance to have them in hand, but that would mean buying them, and I'ma not sure I'd go that far with these. Glad that there's a new company putting out Muppet figures/figurines again, but they should rully get better sculpts if the comments here are anything to go by.

14. j3h

j3h Active Member

Personally I'm not a fan of mini-mates in general, so these pretty much came out as I expected. I do have very high hopes for the action figure line.

jvcarroll likes this.
  15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think Robin looks cute!

Mister Muppet likes this.
  16. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

These look great as they are mini mates they do have to keep to the minimates style of square heads which maybe why some of them look a little odd but nothing terrible. I do love the reference on Scooters clipboard that is a awesome touch i can't wait to see the select line soon aswell

17. los

los Active Member

If Robin is going to be made with no articulation they could have fixed the sculpt. Especially the legs as they look like they got mangled in an accident.

18. jvcarroll

The paint apps kind of reveal that these are likely just the prototypes. All will likely be neater and cleaner when they're released this winter.

19. los

los Active Member

True but you can clearly see the separation in the joints of all the others which are the main toy and not an accessory. Just like Camilla, which may be a stock chicken from another line, no articulation was done. Seeing as Robin may be a one time mold, no additional tooling would be cost effective. Still a shame if other short/small Muppets are treated the same way. Overall pleased with the line

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  20. jvcarroll

If you look at Robin's arms, you will see how his leg joint is composed. My guess is that his legs are also jointed in this way so that he can stand. While the overlap may seem crude, such is the way of the design of this type of figure.
    [​IMG]
    Kermit's legs are composed differently from Robin's. His joints are more straightforward and without that overlap thingy.
    My observation about these being prototypes comes from the fact that some of the joints on these figures appear to be painted shut. I'd imagine that will likely be worked out before they are released.