1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

It's funny because the Muppets were really never about that; Jim wanted to be wild, zany and push boundaries, and just because the characters are "cute" people feel the need to brand them that way. They are really just timeless and wholesome, and transcend any preconceived notion of what they should be.

Edit: I don't think it helps that they share so much to Sesame Street that they have to adhere to that standard as well.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  2. antonydavanzo

antonydavanzo Well-Known Member

Ordered my Chef from BBTS. I hope DS can get some UK sellers as the shipping cost to the U.K. is ridiculous from the US and I can’t support a line where the shipping and tax is so much more than the figure.

Rtec1 likes this.
  3. antonydavanzo

antonydavanzo Well-Known Member

I will add that. I am very pleased to see this line of figures try and continue. Loved the figures as awhile and I would love to see at least DR Teeth and Zoot to complete the band.

LStein, SnakeLipsXD and Rtec1 like this.
  4. Rtec1

Rtec1 Well-Known Member

For anyone in the UK I’ve just noticed that Swedish chef is up for pre-order on forbiddenplanet

jvcarroll likes this.
  5. Blue Frackle

They haven't given up on the Muppets! Check out the Animal bust at the end of this video:

It's hard to hear what they're saying, but Chef has been bumped up to $30 and has a different box.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  6. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

For those that don't want to watch 40 minutes of footage, Animal
    starts around 38.29 What is the counter for the Swedish Chef?

7. Blue Frackle

What do you mean?

8. floydnjanicefan

floydnjanicefan Well-Known Member

It's about a minute before the bust.

muppetperson likes this.
  9. muppetperson

Found it. It was more than a minute before. 31.52 aprox.

10. muppetperson

I was after the time point in the video when the Swedish Chef appears. I have it now. Thanks.

11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Hello all! I haven't checked this thread in quite some time, but was thrilled to see Diamond is finding a way to release series 4. Personally I wish the Electric Mayhem figures were sold as a 4 pack, and these definitely need to be at Disney Parks and Disney stores...I also have longer understood the nature of how tough a sell Muppet merch in the modern era is(as I argued even in the late 90s, the "Muppets" are an underground nostalgic brand that doesnt sell well even tho most people in America have a "favorite Muppet")

While I dearly hope to one day have a 4" Zoot/Dr Teeth from the Diamond line, even if its a slow crawl starting with Swedish Chef this Christmas with a bunch of vegetables Im all for it!

Also Im super stoked series 1 of the Muppet Babies action figures are debuting next month at Target(No offense to Diamond, but maybe a super mainstream Walmart/Target distributor should take over the action figure license of the Muppets)

Blue Frackle likes this.
  12. Blue Frackle

Such a good point; I will never be able to gauge the popularity of the Muppets or how many people like them. It's such an integrated part of the culture, yet (as you said) it's still underground.

I would just argue if someone doesn't like the Muppets, they have no soul.

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Agreed. While I was sadly at the last minute not able to attend the Hollywood Bowl Muppet concert, I was able to convince friends not really into the Muppets to see the New York Tribute to Jim Henson Muppet show in 2012 and the recent Los Angeles Jim Henson Exhibit museum and they absolutely loved it. There's a strong wonderful magic about Henson's works that should touch everyone. Seeing those 50s-70s older clips is so extrordinary.

But sadly, as Ive been arguing, rightfully so for 20 years on here, sadly the "Muppet" brand is a sort of existential nebula of its own. The 2011 movie seems to be the only Muppet thing that seemed to resonate with the general public and critics, but that didnt exactly translate to new merchandise. And for whatever reason Disney ABC cancelled the 2015 Muppet "Office" show rather quickly(a show I personally loved) Im glad Muppet Babies 2.0 is resonating with some sector young kids out there as it seems to be our only hope