1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Did Jareth change Toby's diaper?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Monsoon, Jun 2, 2008.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

See, I saw it and was very assured that I COULD still love the objects of my childhood memories. That's why I always loved it.
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

With me in felt like the movie was saying I couldn't, when to me the issue of even leaving them behind at all was just unheard of. It still is :).
  3. heralde

Whenever I was sad at having to do grown up things, the movie assured me that I didn't have to give the things I loved up forever. So it's interesting how the same movie can produce such different reactions.

My Little Ponies, awesome!
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I have about 600 now :)
    But you know, maybe that is the reason Jareth comes across differently to both of us to :)
  5. heralde

Well I guess it does make sense, everyone comes to a movie with their own personality and emotional baggage so to speak, lol. And so obviously people will interpret a movie with how it relates to them and their situation. That's why message boards are great, you get to exchange different points of view where you probably couldn't before. :)

I used to have a ton of My Little Ponies, but most of them were victims of my puppy's teething years, lol.
  6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

;.; If you find any of they need a new home or some help, I can help :)!

*sigh* Well at least this forum is much more polite than most Laby mailing lists I use to be a part of :)
  7. heralde

Aw thanks, will do if it comes up!

Seriously, some forums are so rude it's crazy!

Oh I just realized I never answered the thread's question! Um...you know I can more easily see the goblins changing the diapers (or at least attempting to!). Or perhaps in the Labryinth world, like most movie worlds hehe, there was no need to change diapers. Which is probably why Toby was so hesitant to leave! ;)
  8. heralde

Directed to Redsonga as per our previous discussion, hehe, I was just thinking something. The Labryinth fantasy story comes from the book Sarah was reading at the beginning of the movie. That's where it all originates from. And the line "You have no power over me" is in the story, it's not something Sarah added later on in order to break the fantasy. It's part of the fantasy, it's the way the book is supposed to end. It allows her to stand up for herself in the end (but also always keep a part of her childhood close :) ).

So in that way, that line doesn't contradict or ruin the story at all, it's how the story was meant to be ended.
  9. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Or so that is what Sarah thinks ;). But maybe it was not just a story but a real place effected by emotions and thoughts, and would have ended differently if she didn't feel she had to do everything 'by the book' ;).

*stands by her feels about the movie like the stubborn old Taurus she is:D"
  10. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I would say that the book came from the Labyrinth, not visa versa...but that's just me.

But then again...How come she had all those statues and toys of the characters at the beginning?

I think most of Laby was ripped from Peter Pan anyway...*ducks and runs for cover*
  11. heralde

::raises eyebrow:: Riiiiiight. Hehe just kidding. You're entitled to your version of course, hehe. I just feel bad because I've always seen the movie as an advocate for fantasy fans, and not one that tells them to just "grow up." ;)

And I still want a boyfriend where the words "do as I say" and "you slave" NEVER enter the equation (whether it's Jareth or Brittany Spears! lol) As you've said before, a relationship should be equal and codependent. :)

Hey wow, I'm a Taurus too! Freaky....
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I think it is because the Labyrinth is real place that can reshape its creatures based on things already in a visitors mind (but always has the maze)...Sort of like a Neverland where all the children got their own island actually :). I love Peter Pan so I don't really mind if the two are alike :)
    I don't mind the words, it's how they are said to me...and to me, Jareth didn't really mean just what he said. I think he meant to say something more but Sarah was too stuck on doing the lines 'by the book' he was powerless because he did everything she wanted deep down IMHO...
    It said 'grow up' to me, and it said it in such a way that cut deeply for me..so much so that I hardly ever can watch the ending anymore :(.
    That's why we fight so much *lol* May 4th :3
  13. heralde

Either that or Sarah lives near a really rockin Labyrith gift shop! :D
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

If your visit to the labyrinth is based on what's in your room at the time you visit it, my maze would be swarming with Care Bears and Cabbage Patch Kids..and Jareth would be an anime character or Johnny Depp :confused:
  15. RL4422

RL4422 New Member

Any guy in spandex has a LITTLE power over people :) Haha! I remember being shocked at that when I was a little older. I can't imagine that Toby's diapers got changed - I can't imagine they fed him either... hopefully not LSD stricken peaches anyway! It was a peach right? I can't remember now.
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I really think they fed him, the Labyrinth seemed to have plenty of food and Jareth seemed to be okay at looking after him at least like a small puppy :)...In fact, Toby was shown eating something...
  17. Jivepuppet

Jivepuppet Member

"Did Jareth change Toby's diaper? "

the real answer...
    "Who cares?"

hahahahahaha:D
  18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

We do... many of us ;).
  19. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Well it is implied he's adopting Toby, since he names him after himself and says"He has my eyes" in the way that a father would. Jareth is arrogant. He probably wouldn't LET a goblin touch Toby (having the goblin carry him to hide him doesn't count)The one thing I know is Toby was not bait. The reason? He's clearly very angry when Sarah gets to the castle to take Toby from him. In Jareth's eyes he was the best for Toby. He may have loved Sarah, but why would he care about the bait for Sarah? The fisherman doesn't tell his friend to rescue the worm on the hook. He grins realiziing this fish is near. It makes me wonder was Jareth his original name or did the prievous ruler steal and adopt him as his or her son?
  20. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, Toby IS bait. He is stolen strictly to get under Sarah's skin. Jareth assumes the spoiled little brat won't succeed in getting the kid back and breaking the spell or whatever that has them both in the Goblin Kingdom in the first place. However, she starts inching towards maturity and well, that's that. Throughout the movie he's annoyed about her progress. However, we start to see a change about the time of the ballroom dream. Her will has stopped being completely annoying and has started to attract him. If Sarah rescues Toby, the spell breaks and he will lose his chance to win her over. Since she treats him like a creepy stalker (even though she fawns over him something terrible in her little play dramas in the neighborhood), yeah, that's not likely to happen. She wins. Game over. More solitude for Jareth. Though, at the end, Jareth is implied to rethink Toby's pawnhood.

Now, I know there are haters for RTL, but Mayor Spittledrum lets slip Jareth is not the first ruler of the Labyrinth (though this is contradicted by Mizumi's flashbacks). Somebody's making crap up. I guess we'll need that new prequel comic to get the real deal on Jareth's past.