1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Did Jim Henson smoke cigarettes or take drugs?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Prof Bunsen, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Prof Bunsen

Prof Bunsen Well-Known Member

I remember going through the Muppet Show Pitch Reel again and there's a picture of him behind Leo showing him holding something, but I don't know if that's a cigarette or just a pen. However, it never mentions in Brian Jones' groundbreaking biography on whether or not he smoked tobacco. And the only other evidence I've seen of anyone else smoking is Jerry Juhl smoking a pipe while working on The Cube.

Does anyone know whether or not Jim Henson smoked anything, whether it be tobacco or cannabis? I know this is kind of a controversial topic, which adds to the fun, so I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

2. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but if he did its nothing to look down at since smoking was a lot more common back then and wasn't known to be as dangerous.

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Personally, if he did then it’s no big deal.

I mean, end of the day, what he puts in his body is his choice.

4. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Well-Known Member

Years back during the MySpace days I looked up imani Patterson's profile. He played Miles in sesame street from 1995-2002 and under smoking it said yes. Do I look at him differently because of that? Absolutely not. I still think he's a great actor and him being miles on a children's show and who he is in real life are 2 totally different things.

5. LittleJerry92

My thoughts exactly.

6. Prof Bunsen

I was only curious if he did or not. I would not have any different impressions of him if he did, he's still one of my heroes. But I just wanted to talk about it. See if anyone had any evidence that he was a smoker.

7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt were known to pass a doobie back and forth.

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I know Jim dropped LSD one time.

Prof Bunsen likes this.
  9. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you because he's dead, Jim.

10. D'Snowth

And absolutely nothing happened.

Zappetman and Prof Bunsen like this.
  11. LittleJerry92

You got me there. :shifty:

Prof Bunsen likes this.
  12. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I doubt he engaged in that kind of stuff. Even if it was briefly, I wouldn't like to believe Jim had a puff or took a drug. But he passed long ago, so yeah, it's not a big deal.

13. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

That was mentioned in the Brian Jay Jones biography, which is a good read.

Froggy Fool, D'Snowth and Prof Bunsen like this.
  14. Prof Bunsen

Amen to that. That was a great book. Learned a lot about the man, his faults, his ambitions, his lifelong friends. I should re-read that sometime.

Froggy Fool and D'Snowth like this.
  15. D'Snowth

I've read the whole thing twice, and skimmed through certain passages dozens of times. Brian Jay Jones is most excellent in not overlooking any small, insignificant details - even right down to how Jim was dressing and how he was cutting his hair and beard in certain phases and eras of his life and career.