1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Did Steve redub Kermit's voice in Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mo Frackle, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I been thinking about this for awhile. I have two copies of "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson". One is the original CBS airing, and the other is a syndicated print that showed up on Oddessy during the late '90s or early '00s. If you listen closely, Steve's Kermit is noticeably different in these two clips. The first clip matches the recording that is in the CBS airing I have. The other matches the Oddessy copy that I have.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It does sound somewhat dubbed, but this isn't an uncommon occurence in programs like this.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  3. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I believe that was the first time Steve did the voice of Kermit. His Kermit voice hasn't completely developed yet back then.
  4. Mo Frackle

It was (publicly, anyway), and yes his voice hadn't quite developed, which is most likely why he redubbed Kermit's voice later on.
  5. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

In the UK airing it sounds almost computerized, like the pitch had been changed.
  6. Mo Frackle

Maybe you have a PAL transfer? Or whoever aired it had a PAL transfer. Unlike NTSC, PAL has a 4% speedup. You can usually tell when something's in PAL format, because the pitch is usually higher. The version of TMM currently on youtube comes to mind as an example.
  7. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

It is a PAL transfer but that particular sentence of dialogue sounds different from the rest. There are also two versions that aired here, one sounding normal and one computerized.
  8. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

There is definitely some slight reverb and processing to Kermit's voice espescially at the beginning when he begins speaking. It's always been there since the original broadcast.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

What's funny is I didn't even notice when I saw this on TV as a kid. I mean I knew Jim Henson had passed away and I knew he performed Kermit, but somehow that didn't even occur to me when Kermit walked in and started talking. :)