Did Steve redub Kermit's voice in Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I been thinking about this for awhile. I have two copies of "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson". One is the original CBS airing, and the other is a syndicated print that showed up on Oddessy during the late '90s or early '00s. If you listen closely, Steve's Kermit is noticeably different in these two clips. The first clip matches the recording that is in the CBS airing I have. The other matches the Oddessy copy that I have.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It does sound somewhat dubbed, but this isn't an uncommon occurence in programs like this.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
It was (publicly, anyway), and yes his voice hadn't quite developed, which is most likely why he redubbed Kermit's voice later on.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
In the UK airing it sounds almost computerized, like the pitch had been changed.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
In the UK airing it sounds almost computerized, like the pitch had been changed.
Maybe you have a PAL transfer? Or whoever aired it had a PAL transfer. Unlike NTSC, PAL has a 4% speedup. You can usually tell when something's in PAL format, because the pitch is usually higher. The version of TMM currently on youtube comes to mind as an example.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
It is a PAL transfer but that particular sentence of dialogue sounds different from the rest. There are also two versions that aired here, one sounding normal and one computerized.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is definitely some slight reverb and processing to Kermit's voice espescially at the beginning when he begins speaking. It's always been there since the original broadcast.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What's funny is I didn't even notice when I saw this on TV as a kid. I mean I knew Jim Henson had passed away and I knew he performed Kermit, but somehow that didn't even occur to me when Kermit walked in and started talking. :smile: