Diet Time. Oy!

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Baby
Just a question concerning the whole homeschooling thing..
Firstly, how long have you been homeschooled? And secondly, do you feel like it takes a lot away from social interaction? I mean, the only reason I liked school was cuz of all my friends. I think if I was homeschooled I would've DIED! (I'm extremely social)
But I guess it all depends on the person.
^_^ Debo
That is a concern for Adrienne. She is too. Unfortunately, I think that is part of her problem. Her friends are her priority and I'm having a problem getting her to see how important her education is. She has already had to repeat 8th grade, I don't want her to have to do it again, and right now that's where she's heading. I am going to get her tested for ADD, but I just want to get her over that hump and into high school so she can move on.

Deb :flirt:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Boober Baby,

I've been home schooled since midway through first grade. At the time, I really didn't think about social life. But, now that I think about it, I probably missed out on a little of that, but, it does depend on the person. I have quite a good social life now. Have a few friends, and know several people I can talk to. It all depends on your situation, really. It's funny, cuz my parents don't have much of a social life! But, somehow, I know so many people. No, I don't think it took too much away from social interaction, for me anyway. Others, I can deffenitely see why you would be concerned. You have to remember, I wasn't even popular among the geeks in school (this coming from a kid who left school in first grade!). I had very few friends in my brief period in school. I'm sure that might have changed eventually, but...

Originally posted by puppets_etc
Do you know what company your mom went with? I'd like to look at my options, I'm still a little up in the air about it.

Deb:flirt:
Not entirely certain. She's been through a few.

Er, when I said the state doesn't always allow diplomas, I should rephrase that. They don't give out diplomas like they do in school. You have to get your diploma through a specific place, I'm not really sure how it works.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by puppets_etc
That is a concern for Adrienne. She is too. Unfortunately, I think that is part of her problem. Her friends are her priority and I'm having a problem getting her to see how important her education is. She has already had to repeat 8th grade, I don't want her to have to do it again, and right now that's where she's heading. I am going to get her tested for ADD, but I just want to get her over that hump and into high school so she can move on.

Deb :flirt:
Hmmm. I understand the concern. Maybe you could help her realize that she can balance the two things. She can spend time with her friends and have a social life (I personally find that to be very important), but she also has the responsibility to get through, and do well, in school. I don't think she wants to be the only 23 year old in the tenth grade! j/k

I think I have ADD. Or something like that. Some form of it, anyway. My mom was giving someone some advice on how to help your child work with it, instead of having to use medication or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention. :smile: :wink:

Look at this! The same age as her, and I'm giving YOU advice! I think I need to take a break.

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Look at this! The same age as her, and I'm giving YOU advice! I think I need to take a break.
It's just nice to get the view of someone her age, it's one thing to talk to your kid, and another to talk to someone her age!:smirk:

Break, by all means:wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ah! Somewhat similar point of view, very different response. I understand.

Dr. Phil, here I come!

:halo:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Ah! Somewhat similar point of view, very different response. I understand.
Dr. Phil, here I come!
:halo:
DR SCOOT, hmmmm, has a nice ring to it :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You should hear me do my Dr. Phil impression.

"Now, you have to face the fact that your family and you are having problems!"
"We don't have any problems."
"I think you do!"

Jackie

Reaction score
I lost 100 lbs...

I just wanted to tell ya that most of my teen years were spend weighing a good 230 lbs. When I finally tipped the scales at 235 I was so frustrated with how I looked and how I felt that I finally said that's ************* it! And I began to lose weight. Let me tell you, it was the HARDEST thing in my life to do but in the end I lost over 100lbs.

At first it was GREAT! I dropped 20lbs like woosh, but then things got tough and it was only a couple of lbs here and there, but I was so motivated by losing 20 that I started exersizing. Pretty soon I was jogging 4 miles a day on my exersize bike and I started to get a lot more energy. Like whoa! LOL! Plus when you exersize there is this myth that you'll want to eat more but that really isn't true, exersize decreases your apetite.

Losing the most weight came from cutting out the snacks. All I eat is breakfast/lunch and dinner. Its' also best to not eat after a certain time. For me it's like 6:30. Nothing after 6:30 and you're done for the night. It's not good to go to sleep on a full stomach because you don't burn it off and it just sits there.

I finally felt what HUNGER was because for most of my life I was never truly hungry, i just ate all the time. The best thing to do is to REALLY terribly want to lose it because that's the only way you will.

For 4 years I was 135lbs and boy was it the best weight i've ever been at! I felt so good and so proud of myself. 100 lbs shedded off is like losing a whole person.

Since meeting Joe we've both gained about 10 lbs and we're struggling with trying to get it off. The thing is I really have to WANT to get rid of those extra lbs again but it's hard when you really don't care as much because you have someone who you know would love you if you looked like a blimp. So I truly belive that you have to WANT it more than anything if you really want to lose the weight. The main thing is stop eating unnessisarily and eat whatever you want, whatever you crave, just eat a small amount of it! I never deprived myself of chocolate cake or ice cream, but i got a small instead of the SUPER LARGE one. It's okay to not finish everything on your plate. And remember, eat slowly to let the food hit your stomach. When you scarf it all hits you at once.

Whoa, it's so hard to fit a long struggle into one email but all i have to say is if I could do it, you most CERTAINLY can do it too. Just make sure you want it! :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Jackie!

That's awesome! Wow!

How long did it take you to loose it?

puppets_etc

Reaction score
At least we're on the same wave length. That's what I've been doing, along with walking a mile everyday at lunchtime. It only takes 15 min. I walk with a co-worker (who doesn't really need the exercise, but is there to support me and keep me company.)

I need to get down two more pant sizes and I'll be happy. My bottom half has always been a little on the large size, even when I got married at 135 lbs. So my waist and my hips have never been able to see eye to eye.:wink: