Different Kinds of Puppets

DriedDragonFly

Reaction score
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself and talk a little about where I'm coming from. I'm pretty new at puppet making. I've been trying to use as many materials as possible.
I've used paper machie over sculpy clay and syrofoam balls. I have used craft foam over styrofoam balls, and now I'm going to be doing some latex puppets and soft foam puppets. I've been doing this for like a year and a half. Infact this is what I'm going to college for.

Here is a link that has some of my sculpy puppets.

http://groups.msn.com/DuskwoodRI/masksofarcadia.msnw?Page=2

They are much to heavy to use. I might try crayola foam.

Also, I really want to work more on doing voices. I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips. Thanks :smile:

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
that dragon puppet rocks!!! I really like it....

sadly, I have no real advice to give, tho'..

but in any case, welcome aboard!! :big_grin:

puppetguy

Reaction score
Great puppets! The dragon is wonderful! And the pink guy has a lot of character!

You complain about weight, have you ever tried working with foam rubber? Much lighter and really easy to work with once you understand the basics of working with it.

As far as voices, try playing with the pitch of your own voice. Its generally a good idea to give your puppets voices that are close to your own, thereby not straining any of your vocal chords. Really, its a matter of experiementing to find out what is comfortable for your own voice. Try imitating cartoon voices..that's always a good place to start. Listen to Mel Blanc's voices for the Bugs Bunny characters...he's what every voice artist strives to achieve.

Take a look at some of my foam puppet creations: www.allhandsproductions.com
David

DriedDragonFly

Reaction score
Foam Rubber

Are there any online shops that sell foam rubber? puppetguy, your puppets are awsome, now I can't wait to get my hands on some foam rubber. Thanks guys :smile:

puppetguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure about online stores, but you can buy foam rubber at any good fabric store. I usually use PCF foam, a type of filter foam, that's a bit more expensive. I'd stick with polyfoam (the cheaper type that's easily available) while you're experimenting.

There's also a great book called "The Foam Book" that is a good reference guide for building foam puppets. You can order this book and its supplemental videos from www.greysealpuppets.com

Once you go foam, you never go back...heh..
David

Foreignman

Reaction score
Hey puppetguy, never heard back from you, if you want me to send your avatar over just post your E-mail address over at "Two Guys Topic" on the Friends and Family board.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Re: Foam Rubber

Originally posted by DriedDragonFly
Are there any online shops that sell foam rubber? puppetguy, your puppets are awsome, now I can't wait to get my hands on some foam rubber. Thanks guys :smile:
Well, it's in Burbank, CA, but the Foam Mart is awesome! I went in there and they had just about anything you'd want.

http://www.foammart.com/

I'm SURE there's one closer to you. Do a google search for Foam and your town. That's what I did while in San Francisco after I left my foam in Burbank.

Grant

BorkBork

Reaction score
Hi drieddragonfly.

Those are nice puppets, you certainly have talent.

I have made a little basic online guide for how to assemble a foam head. it's at http://muppets.zapto.org

be sure to check it out. there is also a forum for puppetbuilders, which really needs a kickstart, a big one :wink:

/Anders

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Yes, I refered to /Anders' guide several times while making my first one.

I still don't get darts though. (Yes, I've tried to use paper. I just don't 'get it'. I'm not very smart,, but it will come to me!)

Grant