Chilly Down said:
1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle
This is what my set is numbered like. I"m reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader...actually, only read into like the first few pages and have been too busy to continue lately. Next week I'll be able to start over and get it going on again.

This being the order I was introduced to the stories by makes sense to me, but had I read it in original written order, then I would likely have been on that chronology instead. Then again, a pal of mine is a Kevin Smith film-fan, and he's been showing me the videos in the order that HE thinks they need to go in.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Well, in the end I suppose it isn't a big deal. I mean, a person could technically start with Prince Caspian, then move on to Silver Chair, and continue to read the books in random order. The books are probably good enough to withstand any reading order, but all of us will have our favorites, I guess. :halo:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
But, then, CS Lewis, as the historical documentor of the Chronicles, would know the order better than anyone, and if he wrote something with the intention of it being a prequel, he would have stated so--THEN I could see the order being changed; however, he wrote the books in a certain order, and I suppose that should be the honored order of the books.

After all, there can't be an Ozma of Oz without there first being a trip by Dorothy to discover it...or COULD there? Hmm...Ozma WAS there first...hmm...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
Well, in the end I suppose it isn't a big deal.
Hmmm, I'm inclined to disagree. I think the original published order is the best way to read the series. It's the way Lewis wrote the books (except he wrote HHB before SC), so the reader is discovering Narnia the way Lewis himself discovered it. And I think it's more magical and exciting to explore this world in just about the same order that Lewis's mind and hand did.

And LWW is just the perfect entrance into Narnia---MN just takes away some of the magic, and makes things more logical rather than fantastical. :smirk:

Luke

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
The publisher's current numbering system is NOT the one embraced by Narnia fans.
wow - you learn something new everyday. I had no idea - i read a couple of the books at school and enjoyed the BBC TV series which i thought was done very well. I'd hazard a guess that the movie products choosing to start with LWW had more to do with it being the most famous and exciting book to get "bums on seats" but still, its nice to know they have taken notice of the original order of the books.

I saw Nicole Kidman is rumored to play the white witch and has visited the intended set location in Australia. I guess they could afford her having a $100 million budget, our poor little fluffy wuffy Muffets only got $13 million but i thought they did ok with whatsername.

Actually if Disney expand this into a multi year 7 film thing i wonder how much the Muppets and their other properties will be cast into the shadows if the Narnia bug takes off like Harry Potter and LOTR. Obviously with budgets like that they'll have to put everything they've got into them for a long time.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Hmmm, I'm inclined to disagree. I think the original published order is the best way to read the series.
Oh, I still think so too, Byron. I'm just trying to be diplomatic to other points of view. :smile:

Luke, you make a good point. Disney has a lot in its roster right now, not to mention the competition from other family films. I hope they're able to balance their schedule in such a way that nothing gets crowded out--either the Muppets or Narnia.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So now that it's out; I'm waiting to read what Byron writes about it!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Wow, it has been a while since we posted in this thread, huh? :smirk:

I thought the film was very good. My only gripe is that the kids could have been portrayed a little braver--they didn't come across so wimpy in the book. But the visuals, the casting, the faithfulness to the original source material--all excellent!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It was spot on to the book to me, and I love this movie so much. I'm definitely adding these movies to my collection--at least this one if they don't make a series out of them.