Disney Coached Mary Costa

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Found this, for Byron.

WALT COACHED SLEEPING BEAUTY STAR
eminovitz
Posted: 9/17/2003
Walt Disney himself gave a few lessons to the actress who provided the voice of the title role in Disney's 1959 animated feature Sleeping Beauty.

Now living in Knoxville, Tennessee, opera singer Mary Costa lent her vocal chords to the character known as Princess Aurora.

"I was always a little bit nervous because I was in awe of him. He said that he was very pleased with what I was doing, but that he always wanted me to keep my voice very clear," said Costa, 73, who was promoting the DVD release of the cartoon classic.

"He said, 'You protect yourself so that you don't get a cold,' and he said, 'Before the recording sessions you be sure that you have a warm meal at least two hours before,'" Costa recalled.

"He said, 'You be sure you always exercise the vocal cords before you come over, hum or read lightly. Always have at least nine hours of sleep before you come over for a recording session, and always do some physical exercise to get yourself ready. The entire thing is a physical exercise,' " she added.

Only years later did Costa realize why Disney was so interested in her vocal work. "It dawned on me that he had done of Mickey Mouse for so many years, and he had to keep that voice high. So he had to do all those things," she said.

Costa, a soprano with a range spanning over three octaves, travelled worldwide in a four-decade career which included TV shows with Jack Benny and Edgar Bergen. Her more conventional appearances were at European and American opera houses with Leonard Bernstein, Igor Stravinsky, Zubin Mehta and the Bolshoi opera company.

http://forum.bcdb.com/gforum.cgi?post=11392
http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=32

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Cool tidbit, Kevin. Speaking of Sleeping Beauty, I read in Entertainment Weekly that it was last week's top-selling DVD. :smile:
Erin

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the aritcle, Kev! :big_grin: Man, this just makes me yearn even more to meet her now, lol.

And Erin, that's awesome! Though not surprisin'. :wink: Is it the issue that's out now?

Thanks, y'all! :flirt: