1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

From The Muppet Newsflash:
    Variety is reporting that Disney has just signed a deal with Jason Segel and Nick Stoller to help create the next Muppet movie. According to reports, Segel and Stoller will write the script while Stoller will direct the proposed Muppet film. This project is very much in its infancy and is still a long way off, but I will be sure to keep you up to date as soon as more information on this project becomes available.
    It will probally take a year or two until we see it (they still have to write it, you know) - but I have been told by several people at Disney that the hope is to get the Muppet back to the big screen before the end of the decade (2010).
    :)
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:D Thanks again Greg (just posted over at the Flash). It is an exciting development. I see now that Muppets.com XD is Disney's way of drumming up viewer support without having to create a television series yet. Smart thinking. The content gives me confidence that the Mouse is getting to know the Muppet characters and humor much better than before.

There is a Disney Store in San Francisco's Union Square that has a billboard atop its structure that is updated with Disney movie and channel related promotion (not necessarily related to the store itself). I have always hoped to see the froggy eyes peeping down at me from up there. Maybe in a couple years. :)
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

This is so incredible!:)
  4. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I never heard of Jason Segel and not a big fan of most of the things on his list but am a fan of the stuff on Nick Stoller's list.
    Either way a new Muppet movie is amazing news!
    And I can not wait till the ball starts rolling, could a tv show be far behind now?
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Um...

Did anyone check out the IMDB profiles of these two? This is who Disney tapped?

Im just saying...what happened to the script Brian Henson and Bill Baretta were writing? If anyone knows the Muppets more.

Heck, whose writing the Muppets.com scripts/ideas?

I could see this team writing a romantic comedy script starring say, Pepe and a human actress; or a pg-13 film about a group of Muppets living in a college dorm.

But a main Muppets film?

Jason Segel: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0781981/
    Nick Stoller: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0831557/

These are no doubt two great guys, but is this the perfect duo for the next Muppets feature film? Do they know the chemistry and subtle nuances?

I wish it coulda been Brian Henson/Baretta's script with say, Spike Jonze or Michel Gondry directing.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

This is exciting, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's been so many announced projects that have been cancled, both in the Henson era and the Disney era.
  7. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

this could be good though, they the two Disny has sigined to write and direct could work, and give the Muppets there edge they need.
  8. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Nice point, Beaker.

But if this is who it takes to get another Muppet movie. My response is it better be good.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As long as it's not any more Simpsons writers. Just kidding.

If they have passion to write for the muppets, and a working knowledge of their chemestry, and can find a great vehicle for them, that'd be great.

If 2 years down the road, we're seeing a project called "Muppet Bonfire of the Vanities" then we have to worry. I hope it's an ORIGINAL storyline this time. No more book movies.

And I hope this is an actual movie, even if it's DTV or a telefilm. I loved VMX, but it hardly seemed like a movie, but rather a 2 hour Tv special.
  10. Ignohippo

Ignohippo Member

According to the article, Segel pitched Disney a concept so it must be pretty strong for the Disney brass to greenlight the writing of the script. I don't care if who's writing the script as long as it's good. I don't think Disney was in any hurry to do a major Muppet project, so the idea that they are showing enthusiasm may say wonders about the concept.

Honestly, I'd be happier to see someone new have a chance rather than turning them back over to the folks that brought us the fabulous MWOZ. And let's remember too, this is a new regime at Disney. My hopes are that Lasseter may even have some say in the script of something like a new Muppet movie (even though it's not animation).
  11. BeakerSqueedom

BeakerSqueedom Active Member

This is incredible news and I am just overjoyed.
    Beaming as I type this, I am starting to think something positive is going to come from all this waiting. :p

Gosh, the thought of them doing this little project...
    -faints-

Even if it is just a possibility!

Hope, hope, and more hope! :D
  12. Meepsterboy

Meepsterboy New Member

...FINALLYYYY! :excited:
    I wait and wait for Diz to do something with the Muppets, and they're finally doing something! I just hope it's in with a bang rather than out with a whimper...
    :crazy:: Did somebody say bang?
    *KABOOM!*
  13. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

YAAAAY! It's something! I do hope this is good stuff. Can't wait to see what happens down the line concerning this new movie however.
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Hmm..I don't like ether of their styles of movies that much so my hopes are not too high :p
    Of course anything new is good but I have had too many of my beloved characters of other fandoms made into films lately that were less than wonderful :(
  15. Skye

Skye Active Member

Yay! :excited: How cool, I'm thrilled to hear about this!

I can't help but hold onto tons of optimism and hope for this. And I'm insanely happy to hear about something so wonderfully new! I really hope it will turn out great, too. And I can't wait to see how this all will develop! :)
  16. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I just hope it doesn't end up as one of these:
    "Piggy Montana"
    "Muppet School the Musical"
    "101 Muppets"
    "Piggy Poppins"
    "The Frog & the Hound"
    "The Frog Prince 2: Taminella's Revenge"
    "Pepe In Wonderland"
    "The Great Muppet Detective"
    "The Pepe's New Groove"
    "Janice And Stitch"
    "Brother Bear 2: Fozzie Checks In"

Heh you get the idea of what I don't want to see Disney do.
  17. eloramoonjajs

eloramoonjajs New Member

Meh... I'm excited for the possibilities, but also nervous. I'm just not sure the Disney brass really understands the Muppets or what would constitute a *good* Muppet script. I think they know a lot about what constitutes a good "kid movie" script, and occasionally a good "family movie" script, but the great thing about the old school Muppets style (tv show and first three movies, at least) was that it was kid friendly while still maintaining a level of humor that was entertaining on an adult level, and not in a pandering sort of way. I have only loved one post-classic Muppet movie, which was MTI, and I'm not even sure it entirely fell in line with that older Muppet style. I worry that Disney skews a lot of their modern live-action entertainment towart the "'tween" audience. I just don't want to see a Muppet movie with cameos by Miley Cyrus, Raven, Zack & Cody, etc. But, regardless, I remain cautiously optimistic. Maybe these guys will have a better understanding of what the Muppets should be.

~ Elo
  18. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Oh. my. gawd. This just seriously made my day, I'm completely euphoric now! =D <3 I can't wait!
  19. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

Segel did "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" which hasn't been released yet. The buzz is that there is a puppet sequence and it sort of makes the film. Also, a lot of critics are liking the film.

Disney has an incredible management team and i'm sure they are looking for a fresh spin as the Muppets so desperately need.

I think Segel & etc. went into that meeting and knocked it out of the park and were hired on the spot... Those are all clear, great signs in Hollywood that they've got something!

:)yayayayyayay!
  20. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Helloooo everybodyy!

I was SO PSYCHED to hear this news, and I come here (I'm not REALLY supposed to forum-post at work) and so many people are already so worried about it. Be happy! The cup is half-full not half-empty!

I know that you look at Jason Segel and see that he's one of the Apatow gang and get nervous, but does anyone here watch How I Met Your Mother? Jason plays Marshall, who is pretty much the sweetest character on tv today, and if you listen to the commentary you can see that Jason is just the same.

Obviously "Sarah Marshall" humor is NOT Muppet humor, but it IS good enough for Apatow and studio execs and it predicted to be a big hit. So after this movie hits Jason will have a solid writing credit to his name--something that can only help the new Muppet movie if his name is attached.

Another thing that makes me excited about it is that he approached Disney about it. They didn't court him. That's got to mean that (a) he's a Muppet fan, (b) he wants them to make a big comeback and (c) he believes in himself. I think it's an absolutely brilliant choice. He's old enough to remember/have experienced the Muppets at their classic best, but he's young enough that he knows what works today and, no offense to the wonderful people in the Muppet family, recently they haven't seemed to make the Muppets work for the new generation (coughMWoOcough). I think it could work wonderfully and---and this can only be a good thing--it puts attention back on the Muppets again! When "Sarah Marshall" is a big hit--and it will be--it'll be said that Jason Segel is currently working on __________, _________ and writing a new movie for the Muppets.

So please, do not be so dismayed, people. Watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother (Seasons 1 & 2 available on DVD, yay!) and see the less-Apatowish side of Jason Segel. My recommendation would be "Slap Bet" or "Goodbye, Fiyero".

PS: I can't wait to see the puppet Dracula scene in "Sarah Marshall"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.