1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Disney has done everything RIGHT in 2014

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by beaker, Feb 3, 2014.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

You know, 16 years on this forum, I am so proud of our beloved Muppets. A testament to Disney...but my goodness. The countless Super Bowl/online exclusive Muppet spots(including the 4 part traffic jam skits and beautiful day monster ad), the restrained sneak peaks, the Muppet merch we've been waiting for, the cinematography and writing in MMW that trumps the 2011 film...everything I've seen has been pitch perfect.

I remember chatting with some of you in november 1998 about "the coming rennassiance of the muppets" in 1999...but truly, this is it. I could not be more proud of disney, the performers, and everyone involved. hats off.

2. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

A big YES to that! I was impressed (and 0ften touched and moved) with Disney's Muppet roll-out in the run-up to TM2011, and they've somehow found a way to up the ante with their promotion of MMW.

I mean - seriously - "You're watching the FOX Muppets Most Wanted Super Bowl Pre-Game Show, Brought To You By Muppets Most Wanted, In Theatres March 21st"?
    A Super Bowl commercial and TONS of online trailers, teasers and tie-ins?
    An ad campaign that makes the movie look like a fun night out while simultaneously satirizing the social media age that accompanies Hollywood movie releases?
    A wave of talk show appearances (Good Morning America, Live! With Kelly and Michael, the finale of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon) SEVEN WEEKS before the movie arrives in theatres?

THIS, my friends...THIS is REAL "Muppet Domination!"

This, seriously, is the kind of thing that Jim Henson must have hoped for when he initially launched his negotiations with Disney in 1989. The classic characters are being given the combination of creative control AND financial backing needed to keep them in the public eye and retain their relevance and freshness, rather than hauling them out and dusting them off every couple of years as novelty-act nostalgia.

Well done Disney!!!

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd say the only thing Disney hasn't done right this year (so far) is release the fourth season of The Muppet Show, in addition to other non-movie Muppet productions on DVD. At least half(half-ish?) of the movies have recently aired on ABC Family, when most of the movies have barely aired in the last decade (when they have they tended to be on channels I don't have).

4. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Im proud of disney, they had a rough spot with MWOO but they picked it up when they decided to make TM2011 and MMW

Duke Remington likes this.
  5. minor muppetz

There is one other thing I wish Disney would do better: get more Muppet merchandise available in stores other than The Disney Stores. Yes, fans can order online, and there is a Disney Store near where I live (but it's in a town I don't drive to often), and the merchandise I'm most excited about (the Muppets Most Wanted soundtrack and Muppet Character Encyclopedia) will most likely be available elsewhere as well.

But there really should be a lot of Muppet merchandise in all stores. Other Disney properties get merchandise readily available at all kids if stores. Muppets should, too.

heralde and Duke Remington like this.
  6. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

I agree with your sentiments, Michael. You pretty much nailed the only two cons I have right now. Several months ago, I was particularly frustrated with the lack of Muppet merch where I live. The Hot Topic and BAM! stores, for example, have Funko POP! sections which carry Disney figures, though none of the Muppet ones. And yes, it's really disappointing that Disney hasn't put a majority of the classic Muppet content they own to good use.

Otherwise, I agree with others on this thread. Especially with the recent Toyota/SuperBowl ads, Disney's proven to have a better grip on how to use the Muppets, more so than even five years ago.

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

In my experience, those Muppet Funko Pops flew off the shelves. Especially the more obscure characters. Then again, my collection of them is pretty small, and they just keep releasing great characters that I would love to buy but can't.

There is some merchandise on the horizon, and the T-shirts started ramping back up recently. Everything depends on the next movie's success. Though if some dumb music copyright thing is preventing the Muppet Show from getting completed on DVD, that's out of their control.

8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Round up of all the Super Bowl tv skits as well as the online exclusive content. And boy is there a lot of new material. I mean a new Electric Mayhem music video/song? Wowzas.

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-muppets-super-bowl-round-up.html
    http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/02/hilarious-new-muppet-toyota-videos.html
    http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/01/news-update-january-31-2014.html

merchandise wise, I absolutely wish there was a tidal wave of merch, even 1/10th what we saw of Cars. But I've also come to realize that for some reason, Disney remains stingy on what items get released. For a long time we've wondered why there just hasn't been much merch, and I still don't have any answers.

The Muppets absolutely dominated and saturated the Super Bowl, the most watched show event in America. So thank you Disney $$$ muscle. So yeah it is weird that if they have that much confidence to media saturate everywhere with MMW promotion, that they wouldn't have a ton of merch. Usually there is a whole aisle at Toys R Us devoted to the newest Disney tentpole.

Regarding the dvds, I hear ya. I can't explain that one either. Remember folks: Lions Gate in a few shorts years released practically everything they had Muppet/Henson related on dvd.

galagr likes this.
  9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Btw does anyone know if there will be Disney Park tie ins? Not just merch but special theme nights or events?

10. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Also, can I point out how well the commercial is doing on YouTube? It already has seven million views, which is more than Radio Shack's, Microsoft's, and the Doritos time machine commercial COMBINED.

11. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

Also, the Muppet Highlander commercial is in the Top 5 of two different 2014 Super Bowl Commercial rankings (and even reached #2 for one of them).

Saw a new Muppet Toyota Highlander commercial last night, during each of ABC's Tuesday night sitcoms, The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife. CRAZY HARRY gets a big role in this one! Let the Muppet madness continue!!!

Muppet Master and Duke Remington like this.
  12. Drtooth

In the past 2 nights of TV watching, I haven't seen a show not have that Highlander commercial during at least one of their commercial breaks. Hopefully that translates to more movie tickets bought.

Now if they can start back up with the movie TV spots....

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

These are literally some of the most VISIONARY things Ive ever seen from the Muppets, least in the last couple decades. Wow.

and cant wait for them to do more of these:)

Yeah I'd say Disney is doing everything right...but they do need to release more dvds(season 4/5, Muppets Tonight, etc)

14. minor muppetz

Well, after all the recent commercials and such, I'd say Disney is doing everything right more than they did when this thread started.

15. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

I've been loving the new advertisements and exposure the Muppets have been getting. It's making me all the more excited to see the new film.

16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I love the fact that they are not just previews for the new movie, but it's the Muppets out and about doing interesting things.

Duke Remington and DrDientes like this.
  17. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

• They're having a St. Patrick's Day celebration in Downtown Disney where you can apparently meet Kermit the Frog live, see a screening of The Muppets with a seven-minute sneak peek at Muppets Most Wanted.
    • Kermit and Piggy are a part of Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival, they've created a beautiful topiary with them which you can see throughout March.
    • Also, the pre-show to Muppet Vision 3D now has a segment with Constantine!
    So far, so good. I was there three weeks ago and there was no MMW merch. Everything was half-price though, so I'm assuming it's to make room for more movie merchandise.
    [​IMG]

18. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I love that they are hitting up the #realworld locations and events just as if they are real (which they are) and are finally being treated with a bit of respect by the tabloids.

I think the modern, internet tabloids always loved them but just didn't quite know what to do with them. But what better place to leak footage of Joan River's being pushed into a cake to, than they?

19. Drtooth

Looks like someone hacked into Muppetvision 3-D!

20. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaat?! New Posers? I thought those were all destroyed in the burning of El Ricós Sánchez...
    [​IMG]

And I'm sure Pepe has SUCH a huge role in the movie. *sarcasm alert*