Disney Job Update

DanB315

Reaction score
Just spoke to three top Ent. people at Disney (including Jeff Conover who wrote the Journal ads) via conference call. While they did agree to exempt me from the character portion of the job it seemed they emphasized the aspects of the job's essential functions that I can't do (as required by the EEOC), for instance nealing, sliding, running, the steps onto the parade floats (didn't offer assistance). Far worse was the fact that they were proud of the fact that they hire character performers who have never done puppetry, with a ten minute workshop with ping pong balls on the hand. Also stated that all hirees must work in food or ticket service for an undetermined period of time, full time, 6.50hr. I'm certainly aware the puppetry is a grueling profession, but this is unreal. They also said they rarely have rehearsals! No apologies for the Journal ads, and Disney still maintains they "don't hire puppeteers".

Danny Burge

radionate

Reaction score
Danny,

That is really Sh*tty. I cannot tell you how sorry I am that you are unable to work down there as a puppeteer. I wish I could say more as I'm sorry just doesn't seem powerful enough. Know that good things will come your way soon though. And you will be able to do what you want!!! Regardless of Disney and their crappy hire practices.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I sympathize with the whole unfortunate situation. Disney as a whole is not known for treating it's employees well. I have never worked for any of it's divisions, but I know people who have and their experiences are more or less consistant with yours.

One thing I would like to point out (bear in mind I am not defending Disney here - my wife would divorce me! :eek: ) - while I think it's a sad state of affairs that puppeteers at Disney World have to hawk hot dogs and the like between shows, most people have this illusion that show business/performing is a glamourous business - it usually isn't.

I worked for several years at a Dinner Theatre & touring company that does exclusively puppet shows. I got to puppeteer and do what I love everyday, I travelled around the world, perform for and with celebrities, even met the Princess of Japan. For the privledge I worked long hours for very little money.

On tour we set up stage, tore it down, sold concessions and did a bazillion other jobs alot of people I know would consider beneath them. Back at home in the dinner theatre we set a restraunt, rehearsed shows, served food, greeted guests, tended bar, did a one hour very physical show and then served desert and coffee afterwards. I worked 5, 6, 7 days a week doing 50, 60, even the odd 80 hour week.

In short, I worked my a** off doing alot of non-puppetry jobs so I could do what I love. I still have friends there and they do brutal hours, maybe 30% of their time is doing puppetry and 70% is non puppetry. That's often the reality of show business.

Don't get me wrong, I know alot of puppeteers who won't do other stuff just so they can puppeteer and they are well within their rights to take that approach. Unfortunately, usually only the people at the top of business get to have that luxury.

That's all my ranting for now! :smile:

Inward Jim

Reaction score
I found this thread while doing a google search for I can't remember what now, but having been a puppeteer for Disney Theme Parks, I want to dispel a lot of the falsehoods in these.

[/QUOTE]
Just spoke to three top Ent. people at Disney (including Jeff Conover who wrote the Journal ads) via conference call.
Unusual already. A conference call with three "top Ent. people" ? They only do conference business calls, and for the top brass to conference call with someone not there or basic employee is usually only in extremem cases - most often disciplinary. I was at WDW from '99-'05, Conover doesn't ring a bell as anybody in the upper management levels. He probably talked to someone in Casting, which is what Disney calls their hiring department for every job.
While they did agree to exempt me from the character portion of the job it seemed they emphasized the aspects of the job's essential functions that I can't do (as required by the EEOC), for instance nealing, sliding, running, the steps onto the parade floats (didn't offer assistance).
This job goes way beyond Punch & Judy type puppetry. Larger stages means being more mobile. Unfortunately, that's life. The sliding I never encountered in any of the shows or parades I was with, but even a stage show you often have to run from cue to cue, you might have to kneel to remain unseen as the puppteer, and the steps onto the floats are for the most part for full-body puppetry.
Far worse was the fact that they were proud of the fact that they hire character performers who have never done puppetry, with a ten minute workshop with ping pong balls on the hand.
This is more to test aptitude, they don't hire you off of that then throw you to the wolves, that's ridiculous. They train you, but some people just don't have the ability. That weeds them out for the most part.
Also stated that all hirees must work in food or ticket service for an undetermined period of time, full time, 6.50hr.
Not true at all, they were more likely put you on a waiting list and said you could do that stuff before they "called you up," so to speak.
I'm certainly aware the puppetry is a grueling profession, but this is unreal. They also said they rarely have rehearsals! No apologies for the Journal ads, and Disney still maintains they "don't hire puppeteers". Danny Burge
For each show you go through rehearsals and must be able to perform it well before they even allow you to be in front of park guests. They just don't often have rehearsals because you are doing the show every day. I don't know what you expected. Like it or not, full-body is a part of puppetry. Granted some people take it more seriously than others, much to my frustration, but I was able to do absolutely everything.
I sympathize with the whole unfortunate situation. Disney as a whole is not known for treating it's employees well. I have never worked for any of it's divisions, but I know people who have and their experiences are more or less consistant with yours.
One thing I would like to point out (bear in mind I am not defending Disney here - my wife would divorce me! :eek: ) - while I think it's a sad state of affairs that puppeteers at Disney World have to hawk hot dogs and the like between shows,
completely untrue.
most people have this illusion that show business/performing is a glamourous business - it usually isn't.

I worked for several years at a Dinner Theatre & touring company that does exclusively puppet shows. I got to puppeteer and do what I love everyday, I travelled around the world, perform for and with celebrities, even met the Princess of Japan. For the privledge I worked long hours for very little money.

On tour we set up stage, tore it down, sold concessions and did a bazillion other jobs alot of people I know would consider beneath them. Back at home in the dinner theatre we set a restraunt, rehearsed shows, served food, greeted guests, tended bar, did a one hour very physical show and then served desert and coffee afterwards. I worked 5, 6, 7 days a week doing 50, 60, even the odd 80 hour week.
In short, I worked my a** off doing alot of non-puppetry jobs so I could do what I love. I still have friends there and they do brutal hours, maybe 30% of their time is doing puppetry and 70% is non puppetry. That's often the reality of show business.
Don't get me wrong, I know alot of puppeteers who won't do other stuff just so they can puppeteer and they are well within their rights to take that approach. Unfortunately, usually only the people at the top of business get to have that luxury.
That's all my ranting for now! :smile:
More or less, the rest of this I can't refute, and can sympathize with. I have been in that position with other venues, sometimes that's just the way it is. Disney does not do that. I did a tour where I was a contracted full-bodied puppeteer (much like any of the Muppet Monsters), but I was also contracted as a production assistant (which as anybody who has been one knows, is responsible for everything not already accounted for). The OP just sounded like he only wanted the glamour parts and didn't want to pay his dues, which is outright spoiled.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey Jim, wow is this an old thread...eight years old in fact! Since it's such an old thread, I'd like to add to my original comments re: puppeteers at Disney theme parks...

At the time I wrote that most puppeteers I had met who worked with Disney did appear to have overwhelmingly negative experiences. In the many years since, I've met many more ex-Disney puppeteers. Some seem to have wonderful experiences, while others had terrible ones. Like many big companies, the Disney parks seem to have had several management regimes come and go and I would imagine that naturally some have been much better than others.

I've also been told by ex-Disney puppeteers that the experience working at the parks today would be much different than what might have been encountered 10 or 15 years ago. A few years ago I had the chance to meet professionally a few of the folks who have trained puppeteers for Disney in recent years and they all seemed very impressive, talented, nice and friendly.

I can't stress enough that I haven't worked at any of the parks and I am not speaking from first-hand experience. This is just what I have been told in the past by former Disney puppeteers I've encountered.

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
I am glad to have found this thread. This is something i considered trying out for some years ago, but the various tales kept me at bay.

In the course of my research during that period to try to evaluate and find out what i was possibly in for, i heard from several Disney Cast Members who were in the Entertainment Dept who often said that the Company is 'always looking for puppeteers' and it was one of the hardest positions to get into ( performance/character wise). They seemed to lead me to beleive that someone who went to casting and showed promise they would have no issues getting hired right away.

Now this was a few years ago...5 or so...and things may be quite different now.

Anyone have any further insights?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I am glad to have found this thread. This is something i considered trying out for some years ago, but the various tales kept me at bay.

In the course of my research during that period to try to evaluate and find out what i was possibly in for, i heard from several Disney Cast Members who were in the Entertainment Dept who often said that the Company is 'always looking for puppeteers' and it was one of the hardest positions to get into ( performance/character wise). They seemed to lead me to beleive that someone who went to casting and showed promise they would have no issues getting hired right away.

Now this was a few years ago...5 or so...and things may be quite different now.

Anyone have any further insights?
I auditioned for them a few years ago, but didn't make the cut. They said I was welcome to try again the next time they held them. Seriously, I think they think I'm too old. It is a pretty strenuous show (Playhouse Disney) and you have to do like 5 a day. I think I could have handled it, but we'll never know.

:stick_out_tongue:

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
Thank you for this, Ernie. I would like to hear about your experience. What did you actually have to do for them...as in, what was the audition like?

Yeah, i agree- a lot of folks who audition may not be aware of HOW involved the position is. Not only do the Parks have the stage shows ( Playhouse Disney, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, etc..) but there is also the parade floats that require a live performing manipulator. I saw the 'Muppets' mini float in the Pre-Parade a couple of weeks ago and was able to interact with them live backstage after that afternoons' Parade. It is surely a bit cramped being in a mobile position like the outline of that mini-float suggested...

I remember when the Magic Kingdom had the wonderful puppet production based on The Lion King. 'Legend of The Lion King' was awesome. Sadly it was replaced by the 4-D presentation 'Mickey's PhillharMagic'...i was told primarily because they had such difficultly keeping the puppetry positions FILLED! Egad..i loved that show! Check YouTube sometime for it..i am sure their are videos. Just be sure not to confuse it with the current stage show at D's Animal Kingdom -'Festival of The Lion King' which is a completely different 'animal'...