Disney Junior Channel launches March 23, 2012

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Disney Junior Channel will begin broadcasting 24/7 on Friday March 23 (replacing SoapNet in many markets). Below is the initial schedule. Sadly, while most of the original Playhouse Disney shows are returning, "Bear in the Big Blue House" does not yet have a regular programing slot. :cry:

We can only hope that the beloved "Bear in the Big Blue House" returns soon. The show hasn't been on US TV in more than five years. ("Bear in the Big Blue House" currently airs regulaly on the Disney Junior Channel in Canada, so hopefully we'll see it added to the US channel in the future.) Request "Bear in the Big Blue House" on the official Disney Junior Channel Facebook page.

Let us know your thoughts on the schedule. Also check out the official Disney Junior Channel web site to see if the station is available in your area.

Hubert

Reaction score
As usual, I'm always the odd one out. I never get these great new channels. :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This isn't quite the complete waste of a concept I thought it would be, since they have a rough tweezers full of classic Disney cartoons if you want to wake up at 4 in the morning (and make chocolate pudding). At least Timon and Pumbaa are on there.

Overall, it doesn't change my opinion of 24 hr preschooler programming and how pointless it is. And don't give me that "midnight feeding" excuse. Kids that young shouldn't watch TV anyway. I mean, a good 12 hours a day, sure... sun to sun. If you have a 5 year old that can't sleep at 3am, then watching television's just going to keep him from sleeping any further during the night. Works on adults too. One night I just woke up around 3 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I watched Bravestarr on qubo... I was up until 6, lying in bed for hours after that.

I don't see why Bear isn't on the list. It's not that they're purposely avoiding older shows. I see Koala Brothers, Stanley and Jo Jo's Circus on there. I'm sure they'll get enough requests, but it's still a waste they didn't add it to the initial line up. And there's no call for 4 episodes of Mickey's Clubhouse a day. Especially at 2 AM. Seems like they sort of have the right idea by putting a couple Disney animated series shows on there, but it really feels they should pull a qubo, and rerun classic TDA from midnight to 4 am. Bear needs to be on television again, sure... but so doesn't Darkwing Duck and Ducktales.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I can't find this channel on my cable box and I have Verizon. :frown:

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
Below is the initial schedule. Sadly, while most of the original Playhouse Disney shows are returning, "Bear in the Big Blue House" does not yet have a regular programing slot. :cry:
I have two words for this: Not. Cool. ಠ_ಠ

They have "Timon and Pumbaa", "The Little Mermaid", "Jojo's Circus", "Stanley", "Rolie Polie Olie", "101 Dalmations" and "Jungle Cubs", but no Bear?! That's messed up...Why can't they leave more of the newer shows on the Disney Channel block and let this channel carry more of the older shows?

Ah well...I wouldn't be able to watch it now anyway since I don't have a TV in my dorm room. I really hope they're thinking about adding 'im somewhere in the schedule...

Katzi428

Reaction score
They had a preview of it while my 2 year old nephew was here. (He stayed at my mother's boyfriend's house w/ his parents & his baby sister) He LOVED it! (I just hope that Disney Jr. is on their cable system at home.)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Aw, no PB&J Otter? :frown:

So are they going to continue with the Disney Junior thing on the Disney Channel itself?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So are they going to continue with the Disney Junior thing on the Disney Channel itself?
I don't see any reason not to. I mean, The Disney Channel has like 5 shows, and it repeats them 24/7 until there's a movie with the very same stars of those shows. All it would do is put a couple more episodes of that stuff in the place of Disney Junior. And like mbmfrog said, he can't find the channel, so I'd be sure that others wouldn't. Doesn't Nickelodeon have a Nick Jr. Network that used to be Noggin that just runs the same Nick Jr. shows anyway, adding a couple older ones to the mix?

Still, I kinda wish Disney ONLY had bought the Muppets and Henson had the rights to Bear. At least we would have gotten an unsatisfying single DVD out of it, and Henson would post clips online. Which, sadly is more than Disney's doing with the character.

They have "Timon and Pumbaa", "The Little Mermaid", "Jojo's Circus", "Stanley", "Rolie Polie Olie", "101 Dalmations" and "Jungle Cubs", but no Bear?! That's messed up...Why can't they leave more of the newer shows on the Disney Channel block and let this channel carry more of the older shows?
I have to hand it to Disney Junior for having a couple Disney Saturday Morning cartoons on the network. Losing Toon Disney was a disservice to fans of the 80's-00's Disney cartoon fans, but the network was headed in that direction anyway. I really wish they'd pull a qubo and have a Night Owl block featuring some of those old shows instead of late night reruns of something on earlier that day. That would have some potential, and a competitive edge on CN's Adult Swim line up for those that don't care for that kind of humor.

Still, I don't see why they needed a 24 hr preschool network, when Disney REALLY needs a main channel of general Disney programming, like classic movies and TV shows. You know, like what the Disney channel used to be.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I have to hand it to Disney Junior for having a couple Disney Saturday Morning cartoons on the network. Losing Toon Disney was a disservice to fans of the 80's-00's Disney cartoon fans, but the network was headed in that direction anyway. I really wish they'd pull a qubo and have a Night Owl block featuring some of those old shows instead of late night reruns of something on earlier that day. That would have some potential, and a competitive edge on CN's Adult Swim line up for those that don't care for that kind of humor.

Still, I don't see why they needed a 24 hr preschool network, when Disney REALLY needs a main channel of general Disney programming, like classic movies and TV shows. You know, like what the Disney channel used to be.
Yeah, but there's always three magic letters: DVD (Althoug there's more shows and seasons left that Disney probably won't release anyway!)

I say they replace Disney XD (X-tra Dumb) like we know they should with like a Disney Channel Retro/Rewind, etc...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Disney XD started off really good, and then they go and pull all of the good shows (I'm looking at you, Static Shock -_-) and replace them with misguided attempts at catering to the older audience. To be fair though, I do like I'm in the Band :embarrassed: