"Disney" Muppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have thought of that too. I guess they're trying to sell the DVDs. It's just unfortunate that most people are being alienated from seeing these gems.

Salmoto

Reaction score
Well another potential buyer is Viacom. That'd be cool too if the Muppets were on VH1 or Nickelodeon. I would prefer either they or Warners get the licence since those companies own several cable networks and surely they can put a Muppet series on one of them. If Disney gets it, then there's a chance they'll own the Muppets but won't open up the schedule on their one network for reruns.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In Disney's defense (I can't beilieve I am defending Disney) they do have more channels than just the Disney channel, but they are not available in some markets (like San Francisco). They are pretty open to changing their line-up too. They have played Muppets Tonight and Fraggle Rock on their network so I certainly don't see them objecting to bumping a few things from their current lineup to make room for it. I'd also suspect that they would promote it heavily. They did give MT some pretty good promotions when it hit the Disney Channel. They are also very accepting of including classic/vintage prigramming.

That being said, WB and Viacom are also great alternatives. When it comes to longevity, they likely have a better deal with the Mouse. They tend to maintain their catalog of characters more so than other companies. And they have the park. I was pulling for AOL Time Warner for the longest time, but I'm not so sure these days. Even though I have many problems with Disney, I still feel they might be the Muppets best shot.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
well here are ALL the channel's Disney owns...

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC
ABC Family
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN Classic (and ALL other ESPN's)
Life Time (partly owned)
Life Time Movie Network (partly own)
Soap Net
E! tv (partly owned)
A&E (party owned)
History Channel (partly owned)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
These are the channels you listed that are available in my area.

Disney Channel
ABC
ESPN
Lifetime
E! tv (only 1/2 of the day, the other half is the Chinese news)
A&E (party owned)

This is a difficult market, but the cable here seems to only cater to small segments of the population than they do for everybody in order to be PC. Kind of crummy, so I may have to get the dish someday...when I'm not so poor. I hope if things are ever bought by Disney that they will be played mostly on the Diney Channel and re-run on its other networks because many markets will be losing out. I think they really may want to have this stuff on their flagship channel, but this is all jumping the gun in the first place. :wink:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Disney also owns part of the "style" network through E! Networks. To see Miss Piggy on that! :smile:

Man, glad I don't live in San Francisco.

Also, it's "kind of" a different (in other words, ZOOGIFIED) Disney Channel than when MT was on there. Yet, they have recently played MTI and MFS on Zoog Primetime, and it seems that the channel could still be prone to playing Henson stuff. Whether it's classic episodes of "The Muppet Show" or EVEN that short-lived UPN sitcom "Family Rules" (remember that?), I don't know. But who knows? If Disney goes all out paying $200 million+ for the Henson library, I'm sure they'd go out of their way to put these programs on whatever venue they can, PARTICULARLY (in my mind) ABC Family. I'm not sure if Disney is still planning to launch that 24-hour "Playhouse Disney" channel they announced a year ago, but if they ARE, it'd be an almost guaranteed venue for Muppet shows, MUCH of which is aimed at preschoolers.

I'm all excited now. :smile: Hopefully, one day, an in-depth Jim Henson documentary on ABC!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On the upside, you can't beat San Francisco weather and the fact that everything is like a 20 minute walk away. Very cool. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
um, yeah, but not very big ones for a long time. And not very often. I have learned to ignore them. :big_grin:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I cant believe there are so many Disney Channels in the US !

We only have Playhouse Disney, Toon Disney, Disney Channel and Disney Channel +1 !

I wonder if they would also Broadcast the stuff from the Libraries on our channels too ?

See ya