Disney sends Muppets to promo land

beaker

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
Oh, and the Muppets have done some "edgy" things lately.
There is nothing edgy about Disney, and this new Mupper era we are now in. Fox prime time, now that would have been edgy. Seeing Kermit iggy and Gonzo on that gosh awful Disney xmas parade was dreadful. Again, for anyone who remembers the Jim Henson Hour, Land of Gorch, etc the Muppets can definately be edgy.

T

timrikthegorf

Oh I saw some episodes of the JHH. Now that was a cutting edge show!

So far MWoO looks good and not babyish. It could be worse. I think we'll see some great Muppet Stuff until the Jim Henson COmpnay is no longeri n on the creative aspect of the muppets. I think they are still working with Disney for the next 6 or 7 years and then Disney takes over full time. THAt will be when the Muppets will likely go kiddie.

I just don't know how you could look at a majoprity of what the muppets did on TMS and movies and still think they are 100% family friendly and safe. Heck, even MTI which was done with Dinsey as a producer had guns, explosions, sword fights, killing, and sexual innuendo. "Hello looooong John." "Him too?" That kind of stuff is funny witout being overtly obvious and the only people who get it are the ones that are old enough to do so.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Good point about MTI, timrikthegorf, hopefully, some of the bigwigs at Disney can realize that they need to let the Muppets kinda do their own thing...let's just hope!

CapinLuvMonkey

Reaction score
Disney is a pretty powerful company with alot of infulence over the media world. The fact they have control over The Muppets could be an awesome thing for both companies. The Muppets are now part of one of the world's most prominant companies, which typically focuses on the family when they put the Disney logo on a product. Though hopefully the shakiness within the company won't make things rough for awhile. But I think launching a Movie with them so quickly is an awesome sign showing that Disney is ready to put the Muppets back where they belong. In the spot light. And as for skeptism I think thats goofy because its not like Disney has not had a hand in the Muppet World before. If anything I think we can look forward to many many more years of these guys thanks to Disney. :flirt:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I just need to say something here. I was an early nay sayer to the Disney buyout of The Muppets, even back when Jim himself was involved in the negotiations. In recent days I've been inclined to ease up a little and appreciate that Disney has at least put the Muppets back in the spotlight to an extent. However, my mind is beginning to twist back towards the negative, and I forsee some dark clouds up ahead on the Muppet landscape, and they're suspiciously shaped like Mickey Mouse.
Former Disney employee Dan Lund has directed an innovative and informative documentary titled "Dream on Silly Dreamer." The film creatively details the blanket-firing of Disney animators across the globe in an effort to instead build up an exclusively computer generated animation house. Countless hand-drawn animators were put out on their ears in favor of the cold and seamless fad of computer animation, effectively dismissing almost eighty years of animation history within the Disney company, and over a hundred years of history within animation itself. When this film is released, I encourage everyone to watch it and get a sense of what the Disney corporation is truly about, and where it stands with those it employs for their creativity and talent.
Because folks, if Disney's willing to snuff out generations of animation pioneers in favor of a shinier process absent of humanity and noticible craftsmanship, then I ask you, when do you think will become of a bunch of middle-aged men and women who bring life to the fabricated creatures that they hoist above their heads for the amusement of millions? And just as significantly, what will become of the creatures themselves? Puppetry is an age-old artform that surpasses animation by centuries. And what's to stop the sons of Walt from eradicating that history in a blink of an eye by giving us a CGI Kermit the Frog? With the careless dismissal of old-school animation as an undeniable sign of things to come, I believe the devistation of the Muppets and their performers as we know it is inevitable. So prepare yourselves, people. The worst is yet to come.

CapinLuvMonkey

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
So prepare yourselves, people. The worst is yet to come.
Not all change is bad. :eek: Think of the focal shift in the Muppet movies from Piggy and Kermit to Gonzo and Rizzo. Sometimes new approaches to something can improve on it. Though I do agree to kill the puppeteering of the Muppets would for lack of a better word.... stink. But than again its all about reception by the public. First and foremost Disney is a company whose goals are to make money. And they will do what they can to survive and profit. Maybe some CGI will come along but if not well recieved it may go away in time. But on the flip side new technologies are constantly improving the Muppets and helping make the illusion real. (Removing strings and sticks through computers, robotic technology, CGI enhanced Characters.) So while I don't think The Worst is yet to come some changes are instore. No reason to really panic. Just keep an open mind. Maybe things will change for the better. :smile: I'm just thankful that these guys are getting a second shot with what will probably be a huge budget.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
Oh, and the Muppets have done some "edgy" things lately. They added Howard the Pig as a gay choreographer.
Yay, Howard!! He is fabulous, I hope he's returning soon!!