1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney stops releasing pigeons 'to certain death' during shows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Just a wierdly funny'ish little story for all you pigeon lovers out there :-

Disney stops releasing pigeons 'to certain death' during shows

Florida's Disney World has stopped releasing homing pigeons during shows after 30 years because they keep being eaten by hawks.

Disney decided to stop the practice used in shows like Cinderella's Surprise Celebration and Beauty and the Beast.

The company had become disturbed by the thought the birds were being released to certain death.

The birds soared over the parks before returning to nearby roosts during the shows, but it was during these flights they would be preyed on by hawks, reports the Orlando Sentinel.

Disney spokeswoman Diane Ledder says it was only recently the hawks had started attacking the pigeons and no visitors had complained.

The red-tailed hawks could not be relocated because Ledder says they would probably find their way back.

A home is being sought for the remaining 200 pigeons and the five staff who took care of the birds will take up other posts.

Source :- Annanova.com
  2. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

HMMMMMM..... Another Disney tradition lost. Oh well big whoop.

I do have to say that it was one of the funniest things to pull up behind the Kingdom in that crappy cast bus and be greeted by 400 cooing birds. Let me tell you I've never seen so much bird crap in my life.

This reminds me of a funny story. When they were shooting the title sequence for "Touched by an Angel" the crew was filming a white dove flying somwhere near Salt Lake. All of a sudden in comes a red-tailed hawk which procedded to swoop in capture and then eat their animal actor.
  3. Luke

Luke Active Member

LOL - thats funny, so much for white doves then !!!

Yeah i can only begin to imagine the amount of bird crap ..... i bet that was the real reason. Either that or it started to rain 'Pigeon Guts'

Ugh !
  4. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

There is also a "Disney Urban Legend" of one of the early shows of Cinderella's Surprise Cellebration ( a show I really enjoyed). There was supposedly a problem in the control booth and the cued the pidgeons and the pyro at the same time with deadly results.

I have learned not to trust these stories as most of them are not true. Ironically most of these stories come from Disney cast members. Many of them start with "My roomate's best friend who is an Entertainment Dept. Manager told me..." One of the funniest ones I heard is that during an emergency stop of the Haunted Mansion on Grad Night someone stole Madame Leota's head. This of course is impossible because of the baricade wall and the lack of a floor in that ride section. Although lots of "bad" things happen on grad night this one didn't

P.S. If they had used "homing penguins" I be they wouldn't have had that problem.
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah, Penguins are the solution ! (as always). They can be fired out of canons wearing crash helmets ...... there won't be any pyro problems with them, well unless they explode !
  6. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

:p as a huge fan of disney i find this kinda silly sure a few pigeons but is it worth losing a tradition?
  7. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Luke,

But what would Bert say? I dunno... a few dead pigeons versus all those out-of-work pigeons. Social dilemmas like these are really more of a topic for TP, wouldn't you say? ;)
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

Re: Luke,

LMAO - Yeah this is a controversial issue which i don't think has been fully realised. Millions of pigeons unemployed, a national 'Pigeon Food' shortage, thousands of pigeons with nothing to do but poop on car windows - against the plight of a few widowed mother and child pigeons and i'm sure we can get Britney and Christina to do a fundraising gig for them or something.

I agree, this is really hard hitting, gee, and i thought 'Toughpigs' was the adult forum ..... all they talk about nowdays are ugly muppet toys, and Jack and the Beanstalks Emmy nominations. It's a good thing we've got good ol' MC to talk about HIV, and Pigeon mutilation.
  9. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

I'll just bet you would love to see 'ole Britney "Doin' the Pigeon!"
  10. radionate

radionate New Member

Will this carry over to the weddings held at WDW as well? And what about Disney land? I always thought they looked cool.
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yup, I would love to see her "Doin' the Pigeon!" - in fact i'd love to join in, would certainly get ME cooing ! I think she's getting hornier and sexier each day - wish i was austin powers !

Oh and that goofy thing she does - pure class ... home run Britney, home run ! Now if only she'd do more stuff with penguins !
  12. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Well disney i think must keep doing this i know theres a few people out here who are gonna end up doin some kinda petiton.
  13. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

actually I am a disney fanatic and find this no big deal but I also find it sick and in NO way funny.and about someone trying to steal he head they got out of the car and died actually.
  14. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

kansasteen14

Huh?
  15. radionate

radionate New Member

They are saying that they don't find the pigeons being banned a big deal, and they find no humor in the poor pigeons death by hawks while forgein tourists stand by and take pictures while saying, 'OOOooohhh'

They also are saying that on Grad Night, some drunk stupid future leader of america stood up while the ride was stalled and promptely fell down a big hole where there was no floor. (might be a Disney Urban Legand, don't know on this one)
  16. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Gee, I didn't even see your lips move that time. ;)
  17. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

No one died trying to steal Madame Leota's head! RE-read my post.
  18. radionate

radionate New Member

Hey Nathan,
    That's what I thought, but in your post you stated they couldn't steal the head as there is no floor. But did someone fall through and get hurt or die? That wasn't clear in your post and what the previous posts were relating too.
  19. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

I guess your right that could have been more clear. I'll try and describe the seance chamber a little more clearly. It is basically a circular black room. Along the outside wall there is a track along which your ride vehicle known as a "Doom Buggie" travels. on the other side of the track is a retaining wall. The track is fully enclosed by the wall of the room and the retaining wall. On the other side of the retaining wall is an open pit equiped with a cargo net to catch lost and found and in the middle of that is a table containing a crystal ball. Inside that crystal ball appears the head of Madame Leota. So to steal the head you would have to have your ride vehicle stopped in the seance room then get out of the vehicle hurdle the retaining wall and then levitate to the table. Since the net does not connect to the post supporting the table there is no real way to get to it. That is how that room is set up and I hope that it was clear enough for everyone to understand. No one died trying to steal the head, and as I pointed out in the original post this is one of those "Disney Legends" which means it probably never happened in the first place.
  20. radionate

radionate New Member

Awsome insight Nathan. I love stories like that. Its the stuff that goes into rides that fascinates me more then the rides themselves. I'm one of those dorks who goes around taking pictures not of Mickey and the Castle, but Hidden Mickeys and little details all around the castle.