Disney's Michael Eisner On CNN's Larry King Live Tonight

Luke

Reaction score
Disney top guy Michael Eisner will be appearing on CNN's Larry King Live in the USA tonight (20/2/2004) between 9-10pm ET. It'll be interesting to see what he says about the whole Muppet thing, and also anybody can probably call in - so you could ask him in what direction he hopes to take the Muppets or anything else you want.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Anyone know the dang phone number? I watch that show from time to time, but I never hear a number.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Tivo is set. I might not be here to watch it or call in, but Tivo will not let me down...

Luke

Reaction score
Just a reminder the Larry King Show will be starting imminently !!!!

Squigiman

Reaction score
Well, at least they got mentioned. He does seem very enthusiastic for them, so that looks a little reassuring. It seems to have a very real, long-standing basis, if it's true about whatever TV special he worked with Jim on, in the 60's. I was looking at the imdb, and my best guess was "Hey, Cinderella", which was at the very tail end of the 60's. If anyone else knows, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, tried and tried to call in, but always busy. Take care.

-Squigiman

Luke

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty depressing actually. Yeah he says the Muppets are gonna be back in a big way, but did you see him gulp when asked if they would do a big theatrical movie? I guess the answer is no to that one for now.

I got the impression he thinks the Muppets are in a lot of trouble right now and they are gonna need a lot of Disney "help" (which during MTI & MCC filming basically meant interference) to get back on track before even being considered for a big Disney blockbuster movie. I'm optimistic about this, but it scares me that he seemed to be giving out that vibe. I don't think there is that much wrong that some marketing and financial power couldn't fix right now.

Also he said the Disney/Henson deal in 1990 didn't go down because of taxes after Jim died. WHAT? It didn't go down because Disney thought the Muppets wouldn't do very well without Jim so they kept trying to get them for a lower price, and very blatently too.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
I can't believe that lady with a script got on the air with that question. That was a total waste of viewer questions.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Bean Bunny said:
I can't believe that lady with a script got on the air with that question. That was a total waste of viewer questions.
Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous. Fortunately, Larry was quick in cutting off some of those viewer calls. Still, it would have been great to hear someone ask for more details on what Eisner wants to do with the Muppets.

Luke said:
I thought it was pretty depressing actually. Yeah he says the Muppets are gonna be back in a big way, but did you see him gulp when asked if they would do a big theatrical movie? I guess the answer is no to that one for now.
I can't say I'd blame Eisner for being hesitant to release a Muppet movie in theaters right now. Muppets from Space did poorly at the box office and there's no reason to believe a new Muppet moive will do any better right now. It only makes sense for them to hold off until the Disney marketing department can "rebuild" some of the Muppet's mainstream popularity.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Dang, I actually found out what the phone number was before it appeared on the screen and I should have stayed on the line.

I wanted to ask him why he bought the Muppets and not the Henson Co. outright and would the Henson company/family have an active role in the Muppets' future.

Oh well.