Disney's Michael Eisner On CNN's Larry King Live Tonight

Luke

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
Muppets from Space did poorly at the box office and there's no reason to believe a new Muppet moive will do any better right now. It only makes sense for them to hold off until the Disney marketing department can "rebuild" some of the Muppet's mainstream popularity.
OMG we're doomed then ! :wink: How can you judge the Muppets movie success on MFS? It was a fine movie but of course it didn't do well - it had little promotion, build up, backing like something such as "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo". Nowadays if a movie isn't made by one of the top distributors it only really has so much potential. Let us cast our minds back to the last Muppet movie that did have at least some element of all the other stuff you should have alongside a theatrical movie release (despite Disney even holding it back so that one of their own movies could get most of the attention). That was Muppet Treasure Island - and it did respectably. I think thats the true measure and any Disney movie in the near future would have that kinda success. Sure they need a TV show on air and maybe a special or a TV movie prior but i think thats all the "rebuilding" they need right now - maybe towards the end of year 2 of that Henson development deal they could carry off a theatrical release again.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Luke,

I think that Eisner and the Walt Disney Company will try their hardest to make the Muppet popular and that first step is a new TV Series or special. In my view, the muppets need to be on TV more with classic rerun of the Muppet Show on the air in the USA and other countries. A new TV series will help as well, to get new fans and viewers. A new movie will probably be on the horizion after they build up the Muppets' popularity again.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Luke said:
How can you judge the Muppets movie success on MFS? It was a fine movie but of course it didn't do well - it had little promotion, build up, backing like something such as "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo".
Good point. If I recall, it did seem like MFS was just kinda dumped out in the middle of summer--I don't know that it even came to my local theater. So, perhaps that's not the best comparison. :wink:

I guess my point was just that the Muppets aren't popular enough right now for Disney to release a theatrical film. Thus, it makes sense for Eisner to be hesitant in saying anything that could be seen as a "promise" to fans (the guy has enough critics already!!). I agree though that they should be able to have something in the works by the end of year two.

dbarrie

Reaction score
I watched the interview tonight. On this issue, at least, I think Michael Eisner was sincere in his love for the Muppets and his admiration for Jim Henson. I am also convinced that he really wants to help Kermit and the gang go into what I call "career rehab."

I know things won't ever be the same w/o Jim, I'm not in denial. But Eisner sounds committed in not only wanting to bring back the Muppets that everyone loves, but also wants to preserve Jim's "vision." This was implied when he talked about Kermit being a great character, IMO.

It's too early to tell what the outcome of this deal bet. Disney and JHC will yield, but if any company comes close to matching Jim's vision of the Muppets it's Disney, despite its own problems recently. Let's all hope this is a match made in Heaven, and not in that other place.

OI MuppetFan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I enjoyed this interview, and it was clear to me that Michael Eisner truly does love the Muppets, and believes in them. Unlike a certain "sexy banker lady" (hokay?) who wouldn't want to invest in really great Muppet shows, at least the Muppets are the in hands of a company that wants them to succeed. Only time will tell...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't think the future of a Muppet Movie lies in the hands of their popularity while Diz has them on board, because after the public is made better aware of the movie (in the kind of advertising Disney does) then it will be more successful than not.

As long as they don't leave Muppets on the back burner for some of their own films.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I don't think the future of a Muppet Movie lies in the hands of their popularity while Diz has them on board, because after the public is made better aware of the movie (in the kind of advertising Disney does) then it will be more successful than not.
Here's hopin'!

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I was impressed with how many commercials for lion king 1 1/2 I saw over the weekend, on various channels. If Muppets get that kind of exposure, it can only help the brand...

Lynnette

Reaction score
I didn't get to see the interview but I think the fact that the Muppets were important enough to be part of an interview says something positive to me.

Think positive! :smile:

Lynnette