Disney's Muppet Merchandise

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Hiya,

I do apologise if this has been mentioned at all before but here goes...

I recently popped into my local Disney store and only just remembered that Disney own the Muppets so I wondered over to the wall display of Muppet dolls and toys.

And to my horror I was unfortunate to see poor quality plushies. Kermit didn't look like Kermit - squashed face and too large eyes. Fozzie, wonky nose. Beaker... was alright but seemed flat and not long enough. Gonzo was just weird. And Miss Piggy - meh, don't get me started. The only decent looking Muppet plushie seemed to be Titter (from Bear's Big Blue House).

I am appalled that Disney is allowed to release such awful merchandise of our beloved Muppets. I have seen decent toys and dolls of them before, but nothing as bad as these. What has gone wrong?

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
It's more about quantity than quality. When I was at MGM in 2003, the Muppet plushes I bought were junk. I like my Beaker and Statler and Waldorf, but I've hidden my Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Animal so well that now that I want to see them again, I can't find them. I think Disney's more worried about dishing out the goods quickly rather than making the goods look good. This is a problem because ugly Muppet plushes are not fun to own.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
The Ugly Muppet Toys Pageant? How could I have forgotten? I swear, why Muppets get such a rough treatment is beyond me.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The Disney Store here in Memphis doesn't have anything Muppety there, and the manager had no idea that Disney had bought the Muppets. The Bear in the Big Blue House stuff has always been available, not just recently; but, no Muppets there yet.

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
robinthecrow said:
Hiya,

I recently popped into my local Disney store and only just remembered that Disney own the Muppets so I wondered over to the wall display of Muppet dolls and toys.

And to my horror I was unfortunate to see poor quality plushies. Kermit didn't look like Kermit - squashed face and too large eyes. Fozzie, wonky nose. Beaker... was alright but seemed flat and not long enough. Gonzo was just weird. And Miss Piggy - meh, don't get me started. The only decent looking Muppet plushie seemed to be Titter (from Bear's Big Blue House).

I am appalled that Disney is allowed to release such awful merchandise of our beloved Muppets. I have seen decent toys and dolls of them before, but nothing as bad as these. What has gone wrong?
Did you look at the tags? I think sababa made the ugliest stuff to date. Except Janice and Swedish Chef, But Beeker and Piggy my gosh, nobody has ever made a good piggy, (plush face). I highly doubt its Disney making them, and if they are, I have some AWSOME Beanies from Disneyland of Scooter, Beaker, Bean and Animal, and those are made by Disney. The bigger plushes wern't that bad eather. So maybe the "I hate Disney club" should be shut down!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
The one near me has Bear in the big blue house stuff, but no muppet stuff AT ALL. I could tell where that little blue mouse was from when I first saw it, though. It was made well.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Obviously I didn't mean Disney personally make the things, I generally meant the companies Disney has got them to make. The last few decent Muppet stuffed things I got were the Applause Kermit Hand Puppet. Even the McDonalds muppet toys they released were better!

BEAR

Reaction score
robinthecrow said:
Hiya,

You mean "Tutter"?