1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Disney's Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Fuller House, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Fuller House

Fuller House Active Member

Now since Disney bought the Muppets now they might have a new TV show, movies, video games and more.

Thanks to Disney, Muppets live on.

2. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Hey! I don't think we should be calling hem Disney's Muppets :concern: As much as i LOVE, eat, sleep and breath Disney....they will always be Jim Henson's Muppets! I really wonldn't mind Disney Presents Jim Henson's Muppets! But IF they do start calling them Disney's Muppets....i ahhh....i guess i could live with that! :rolleyes: :) :)

3. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Several sources have confirmed to us that it will be Disney's Muppets in some form. According to where things are right now, Disney doesn't own the name "Jim Henson", just the Muppet and character names. Apparently Disney likes the idea of just using the title "Muppets", "Disney's Muppets" or "Disney Presents the Muppets" because with Disney's name attached it means something new and different whereas "Jim Henson's Muppets" donates a historic legacy. So if things play out according to plan, we will not see "Jim Henson's Muppets" used on any production. I think Sesame Workshop even uses "Jim Henson's Muppets" on their credits, so that may have to change as well after the 35th season.

4. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

I don't like that idea. I saw in a pic that it even says Jim Hensons Muppets on the Muppet Vision 3D building.

5. Green Ranger

Green Ranger New Member

He's got a point there.

6. Luke

Luke Active Member

OMG - That has just knocked me for six. I would have bet my life they'd have negotiated terms to use the Jim Henson name, especially as they'll still be paying the Hensons a share of future profits and all. I hope they go with just "The Muppets" or something. One of the things i thought they'd want to emphasise was Jim's name because of the past, not want to ignore it. Wow - i was beginning to feel a bit easier about the Diz thing and now this.

7. ohdarling

ohdarling New Member

personally i dont care as long as the muppets live on though it would be sad if they never gave henson credit..i cant imagine them doing that..:O

8. jediX

jediX Active Member

The whole thing just makes me sick now. Even putting JHH or every TMS on dvd wouldn't make up for taking credit for creating the Muppet characters. Its an insult to call them "Disney's Muppets". Just leave it at Muppets, I say.

9. Luke

Luke Active Member

I just don't know why they wouldn't have negotiated for Disney to be able to use "Jim Henson" with special agreement from the Henson Legacy in exchange for the Legacy to be able to use Muppet images and Kermit as as a logo or something. I can understand why the actual Henson Company has to get rid of Kermit's head because obviously he doesn't belong to them anymore but Kermit and the Muppets will always be a part of Jim's actual legacy. This is one part of the deal that actually really has shocked me and made me feel a bit sick about it, with the others i could see advantage and disadvantages but i think this is wrong.

Jim's name is as recognisable as the Muppets really, they have been together for over 25 years. I would have thought the heritage of the characters was something Disney might want to stress seeing as "stewardship" seems to be the buzzword right now at JHC and the characters are an American institution. Just slapping Disney on the name stinks of them buying a property and just doing what they like with it fresh - might as well have bought the Gobots.

10. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

my 900th message

Man, this stinks. The only problem I'd have with a Disney/Muppet union is if they'd call them "Disney's Muppets." I know they can't use the "Jim Henson" brand name, but gees, just call them "The Muppets." We know who they are.

I'm not usually for petitions, but...

11. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

12. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Here's what Disney SHOULD do. Since the term "Disney's Muppets" (or even Jim Henson's Muppets) would mostly be used in the realm of merchandising, they should just let the Muppet and Bear logos stand on their own, and put the Disney Consumer Products logo in the corner somewhere, much like Warner Bros. does with Scooby-Doo products.

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I agree Kenny. And as for not being able to use the Jim Henson name, i'm sure they could sort that out if they really wanted to - not buy it, but agree or license it with the Henson legacy or something. It really does stink - if a petition had any chance i'd be up for it.

14. MuppetNewsFlash

MuppetNewsFlash New Member

I have a Pal Mickey and I think it's great. It gave a ton of good advice when I was last down in Disney and that was my 19th visit. Since bringing it home I have never once noticed any spy camera or antenna pop out of his head to transmit info about me to the "evil empire" of Disney. I know this is a little off thread, sorry.

15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

(Sure, I'm kiddin...but, ain't it dramatic?? *Key: Mysterious Music!*)

NOT that you've NOTICED!! Look at the pupil of his eye a little closer; and if there's a microchip, you don't need spy cameras or microphones...

Yep...they're watching. They're watching and waiting, even if it is a little blip on a bigger radar...they know you and know where you are, who you are, and are coming for you!

16. Fozzie Bear

Well, that just sucks like a car wash vaccuum cleaner! :mad:

Sure, maybe drop the Jim Henson's part of it all, but leave Disney's off that stuff! It's confusing, and ugly!!

Just call it what it is: The Muppets.

17. Muppetto

Muppetto Member

I was just reading some movie news at Ain't It Cool News and happened upon this piece. In it, Jim Hill of JimHillMedia.com says that the Henson children's decision to sell the MUPPETS to Disney was not for the money, but rather because they were forced into taking over their father's company after he died and not able to pursue their own career ambitions. More info here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17095

18. GonzoPimp

GonzoPimp New Member

That was a very interesting perspective. Thanks for the article.

19. GonzoPimp

GonzoPimp New Member

As far as the Disney Muppets, thats their game. Ya it would be nice to have Jim's name, it would also be respectful and proper, but thats not what the Walt Disney Company is about. They are not about giving credit to the people to make the magic happen, they are about one name, Walt Disney. I mean most people don't even know who Roy Disney Sr. is or what is contributions were.

Jim Henson is one of my heros and always will be, but even he knew how the game was played, else we would have Jim Henson and Frank Oz's Muppets.

20. Fozzie Bear

I've been warned by several site owners that most of what Jim Hill says is okay, but lots more of it is based on rumors and to take it with a grain of salt.

Well, that's what I heard...