Disney's Platinum Edition DVDs?

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey compadres,

I'm hoping Byron or some similarly-mad Disney nut will be able to tell me the answer to this--Disney recently started their run of what I understand will be ten Classics released in the Platinum DVD format. The first was Snow White, the second will be Beauty and the Beast next month. Does anyone know what's next, and what all ten of them will be? I'm not the biggest fan, but I do love the classics, and these are unparalleled DVDs. Wish JHC would do something like this....but I'm happy for whatever DVDs we get from the Muppets at this point.

Anyway. Anyone know what the other Platinum Editions are going to be?

Quinnnnnnnnnn

radionate

Reaction score
Quin,

What are the details on the Snow White DVD? Since I didn't have a DVD Player until two weeks ago I'm very curious, as I would love to eventually replace all my Disney Classics on DVD, but only if it would be worthwhile.

What are the bonus features? Are there Bonus Features? I know that the B&B will feature the cut scenes that were put back in for the IMAX screenings.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Bonus features a-plenty, Nate--I've been waiting for these since Disney started releasing it's "bare bones" versions several years ago. Here are SOME of them from Snow White:

Hosted by Roy Disney and The Magic Mirror
Two VIP Tours
Deleted Scenes and Songs (verrrry interesting stuff)
Guided Tour Through Virtual Galleries
"Dopey's Wild Mine Ride" Game
Karaoke
Some Barbra Streisand Thing
Behind The Scenes Footage
Disney Through The Decades Timeline
The Making of Snow White--Documentary
Audio Commentary
Goddess of Spring Animated Short

....I think there are approximately seven hours of extras. It's really amazing, and even better---it made me appreciate the movie more, instead of detracting from it, like some DVD extras tend to do. This is my new Favorite DVD, even if it's not my favorite movie. And if the rest of the Platinum Editions are going to be this packed, sign me up for all of them.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate

What are the details on the Snow White DVD? Since I didn't have a DVD Player until two weeks ago I'm very curious, as I would love to eventually replace all my Disney Classics on DVD, but only if it would be worthwhile.

Hey Nate,

The Snow White DVD is a standard setting DVD in the animation genre as well as what to do right with a film that is over 50 years old. At the risk of sounding cliched both critics and fans (hardcore and cursory) have raved about the contents. Here's a link to a positive review at dvdfile.com.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd video_4/snowwhite.html

Regardless, it's a purchase that enable you to appreciate the film all the more and I think you'll be quite satisfied. Just look at the features courtesy of amazon.

Disney plans to discontinue this title on January 31, 2002. However, you may still place orders until inventory runs out.

Disc One: The Film

Magic Mirror on the Wall: To guide the viewer through all the features, the Magic Mirror is summoned as the host, through all-new animation created especially for this release.

Guided Tour: Tour Guide Angela Lansbury takes you on a VIP tour sampling bonus features

Some Day My Prince Will Come: Barbra Streisand performs a newly recorded rendition of the song presented over an animated montage of highlights from the film.

"Still The Fairest of Them All: The Making Of Snow White:" A 40-minute documentary providing fascinating insight into the events leading up to the development of the film

"Heigh-Ho" Sing-Along: With an option to hear the vocals from the film or perform your own, karaoke style.

"Dopey's Wild Mine Ride" Game

"The Goddess of Spring:" Silly Symphony animated short, which served as a test for the character Snow White.

Audio commentary is gathered from dozens of hours of rare archival recordings of Walt Disney himself, hosted by film historian John Canemaker.

Disc Two: The Lands of Snow White

Snow White's Wishing Well (History And Development)

Walt Disney biographical timeline

Highlights of Walt Disney's life and career

Snow White production timeline

The evolution of the production

Brothers Grimm original version of "Snow White"

Storyboard to film comparisons

The Queen's Castle (Virtual Galleries & More)

Visual Development Gallery including preliminary designs and deleted concepts, highlights the creation of the European storybook world

Layouts and Backgrounds Gallery including original designs and renderings

Camera And Filter Tests including excerpts from Disney TV shows "The Story Of The Silly Symphony, " and "Tricks of Our Trade" with Walt Disney focusing on the Multiplane Camera

Animation including a featurette on the original voices from the film

Live-Action Footage including rare, live-action test footage featuring dancer Marge (Belcher) Champion and vaudevillian Eddie Collins with Disney artists

Character Design Galleries

Still art galleries showcase the production designs

The Queen's Dungeon (Abandoned Concepts)

Snow White Meets The Prince storyboard reconstruction of an alternate scene

Some Day My Prince Will Come (Fantasy Version) storyboard reconstruction

The Prince Is Captured storyboard reconstruction

A look at the restoration process for the DVD

The Dwarfs' Mine (Rare Treasures)

Four partially animated (and one fully-animated) scenes that did not make the final film version plus the original RKO Opening and End Credits

Disney Through The Decades: an new overview of the Walt Disney Studios, looking at each decade from the 1930's to the present with Roy Disney, D.B. Sweeney, Angela Lansbury, Fess Parker, Robby Benson, Dean Jones, Jodi Benson and Ming-Na.

The Dwarfs' Cottage (Wonder Of An Era Gone By)

The Release: Rare newsreel footage of the Hollywood premiere at the Carthay Circle Theater, a large selection of still photographs of original merchandise, and trailers from the various theatrical re-releases.

Publicity: A retrospective of different theatrical poster designs used to promote "Snow White" over 65 years, press kits and the original 1937 Exhibitor's manual, stills from the premiere, the original press book, production photos, and posters.

Vintage Black & White Short Subjects including "A Trip Through the Walt Disney Studios," (RKO exhibitors short), "How Disney Cartoons Are Made" (revised version of "A Trip Through the Walt Disney Studios," shown publicly as the first trailer for "Snow White")

Supplemental Audio including Cecil B. DeMille talks with Walt Disney about his production and premiere for the Lux Radio Theater, radio broadcast from the premiere, Disney radio program celebrating "Snow White Day" (January 9, 1938), radio commercials, voice recording sessions and a deleted song: "You're Never Too Old To Be Young" (sung by the Dwarfs)

pretty cool.

radionate

Reaction score
Please tell me the soup scene that was cut is on this DVD!!

Mayhem Diva

Reaction score
I believe that the "Music in Your Soup" is indeed on the DVD; I'll have to check to be sure, though. The above posts are dead-on; this one is unparalleled.

Another of my favorites, for the quantity of extras, great quality, and good Easter Eggs is "Moulin Rouge." If you like the movie, but don't have the DVD, it's a great purchase. I've had both that and "Snow White" for months, but I think I've only recently finished watching all of the bonus materials.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Platinum Editions

Disney seems to be on a trend of re-releasing their upcoming Disney Platinums to IMAX at the beginning of the year and then bringing them out on super-deluxe Platinum version. I believe it's been stated somewhere what the first bunch will be, but not in order. However, since Lion King will be coming out next, it is all but confirmed that it is the next one. Aladdin is most likely the next one planned after that.

So:
2001 - Snow White
2002 - Beauty & The Beast
2003 - Lion King
2004 - Aladdin (?)
and the rest of Disney's top 10 that have yet to be lined up but not specifically in order of release:
- Little Mermaid (My guess for after Aladdin)
- Bambi
- Cinderella
- Lady & The Tramp
- Jungle Book
- 101 Dalmations

scarecroe

Reaction score
Yep, GWGumby's got the list of Disney's 10 Platinum titles. It should be noted however that The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmations have all been released on DVD already, but when their turn comes around, they'll be getting the same treatment that Snow White got last year and Beauty and the Beast is getting this fall (thank goodness they're including the theatrical version... that additional Human Again sequence was horrible). Bambi and Cinderella will hopefully come before the four already released... actually, I wish they'd come before any of the more contemporary ones too, but The Lion King and Aladdin being more recent no doubt have a broader appeal to today's public as well as much more special features material that could be included. Then again, Disney always does a masterful job of digging into the archives for bonus stuff as was evidenced on the Snow White DVD. The only problem with this "one Platinum title on DVD a year" thing is that by the end of the ten-year run, DVD's going to be the "old" format and no one will care that they're coming out in "Platinum" versions anymore. You can quote me on this: I'll bet Disney cuts the schedule in half, breaking down to allow two titles a year just so they get them all out.

All I really wanna know is where the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is my Sleeping -frickin- Beauty DVD?!?!?!!!!

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm with you Scott--Sleeping Beauty should be at the top of their DVD list....but I don't pretend to understand the "minds" at work at Disney.

Quinnnnnnnnnn