Disney's Platinum Edition DVDs?

GWGumby

Reaction score
Maybe when Michael Eisner gets booted out they'll reconsider. It sort of makes sense to release a special version after promoting a theatrical re-release, but 10 years is definitely way too long. After what they did with their recent release of Disney movie classics like Pollyana and Old Yeller, they definitely can put together an excellent package of great features and historical information without requiring a lot of marketing fanfare.

Mayhem Diva

Reaction score
No doubt on the "Sleeping Beauty" complaint!! Considering the completely unique artistic slant of that film (Can't tell it's my favorite, can you??), you'd think that they'd be able to include it in this list. I was told by a Disney Store employee that it originally WAS included, but the list was altered later, and it fell off. Depressing. :frown:

radionate

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody included Fantasia in this list. I know that both Fantasia and Fantasia were released on DVD, I would love to see some extras with them on a DVD.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Platinum Editions

Originally posted by GWGumby
So:
2001 - Snow White
2002 - Beauty & The Beast
2003 - Lion King
2004 - Aladdin (?)
and the rest of Disney's top 10 that have yet to be lined up but not specifically in order of release:
- Little Mermaid (My guess for after Aladdin)
- Bambi
- Cinderella
- Lady & The Tramp
- Jungle Book
- 101 Dalmations
ARRRRRRRRRGH!! I wanted to be the one to tell him!!! :mad:

That does it, I'm gonna boycott you next!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
All I really wanna know is where the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is my Sleeping -frickin- Beauty DVD?!?!?!!!!
It's in Europe, Scott. :mad: You can get the VCD of it, and maybe a DVD...not too many extras though, it seems. :frown: :mad:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
After what they did with their recent release of Disney movie classics like Pollyana and Old Yeller, they definitely can put together an excellent package of great features and historical information without requiring a lot of marketing fanfare.
Okay, you have just saved yourself from a Big Byron Boycott (BBB). :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

Yeah man, I bought OY, P, PT, and SFR all at the same time (I had to, lol---and those last two are "The Parent Trap" and "Swiss Family Robinson" for those who find it too cryptic). The extras on those are SPEC-FREAKIN'-TAC-ULAR!! I was totally blown away!! :eek: :big_grin:

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'll have to agree on the SFR and PT packages. Fantastic presentation and excellent special features overall. Man, was it great to see those films in their original aspect ratio, or what? I didn't get P or OY because I've never seen them.

As for SB, I know I can get a VCD of it, but it likely wouldn't be much better than having the digitally mastered VHS from a couple years ago. I'll wait for the DVD. As it's not considered Platinum, that's a good thing since it will be released sometime sooner than the next ten years, LOL!

The Vault Disney and Platinum Collection series have been great, but has anybody been getting the Walt Disney Treasures? Last year, 4 were released in limited run tins: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Disneyland USA, Silly Symphonies and The Complete Davy Crockett. I got the first three, but still haven't watched the Disneyland one yet, but whoo-ee I love having all the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphony shorts on DVD! WOW! This is the kinda thing I wish Henson would do. Go into their archives and give as a collection of stuff from the early years.

There's 3 more Walt Disney Treasure packages coming out in December, and I can't wiat to get them: Mickey Mouse in Black and White, The Complete Goofy and Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio. Woo-hoo!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
I'll have to agree on the SFR and PT packages. Fantastic presentation and excellent special features overall. Man, was it great to see those films in their original aspect ratio, or what? I didn't get P or OY because I've never seen them.
You've NEVER seen OY?! :eek: :mad: Now P I can understand cause it's not as well-known, but OY?! And I do have to say Scott, that P is one of the most well-told stories Disney ever did. It's about 2 1/2 hours or more in length, but the story lines alternate and interweave with one another, the colorful, 3D characters, and the beautiful nostalgia of it---*sigh*. You just have to see it. :smile:

Tara and I watched it together one December 23rd. It was her first time to see it, and I'm sure she can rave about it, too! :smile:

As for SB, as it's not considered Platinum, that's a good thing since it will be released sometime sooner than the next ten years, LOL!
LOL, I know, that's what I keep tellin' myself! It deserves to be platinum, dang it, but at least we'll get it sooner than had it been platinum! :big_grin:

The Vault Disney and Platinum Collection series have been great, but has anybody been getting the Walt Disney Treasures? Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Disneyland USA, Silly Symphonies and The Complete Davy Crockett. I got the first three, but still haven't watched the Disneyland one yet, but whoo-ee I love having all the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphony shorts on DVD! WOW! This is the kinda thing I wish Henson would do. Go into their archives and give as a collection of stuff from the early years.
In the words of Monica on "Friends": I KNOW! Man Scott, when I was a Cast Member at The Disney Store, those flew off the shelves! And the Silly Symphony one is AWESOME!! (It's the only one I have, so I can't comment on the others).

My faaaaaaaaaavorite one is "Music Land". :smile: It's also Tara's favorite, and our favorite feature is "Sleeping Beauty" (man, it really is scary how much alike and "twin-ish" we are). It's amazing how things like "Music Land" and "Noah's Ark" from F2000 (for me, anyway) can give you an emotional roller-coaster ride inside, and actually bring tears to your eyes. God love those animators, story-tellers, and musicians.

There's 3 more Walt Disney Treasure packages coming out in December, and I can't wiat to get them: Mickey Mouse in Black and White, The Complete Goofy and Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio. Woo-hoo!
Oh man, "Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studios"...MMMMMMmmmmmmmm...I can't wait for that one!! :big_grin: Personally, I wish they'd make a "The Complete Daisy", but at least I have my video I got at a Video Vault one time of a collection of Daisy Duck cartoons (I forgot the name of the series, but they were in gold clamshell cases, and each volume featured a certain character).

Man, this took a couple of minutes to write---I wonder if I can get paid for posts like this? :confused: :stick_out_tongue:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I'm surprised nobody included Fantasia in this list. I know that both Fantasia and Fantasia were released on DVD, I would love to see some extras with them on a DVD.
Yeah Nate, F has always been in a league all its own, and I guess for the Platinum collection they wanted just story features. And since they released the 3-pack of F anyway, I'm happy as a clam in a "Muppet Show" rendition of "Octopus's Garden"!! :big_grin:

*feels weird sayin' "Muppet" in this thread since it's so Disneyfied now*

radionate

Reaction score
Well I guess I just needed to keep up on this DVD thing. I didn't realize there was a 3 pack for fantasia. What all was included? I went looking for Snow White last night after work, but alas it was nowhere to be found. Sigh. Guess I'll hit up the big city next.

I did see the season one and two of the Simpsons, and almost broke down and got one of them, but I decided to spend my money to go see "Momma Mia" this week! (Limited money has to be budgeted out on entertainment you know). Does anyone on here have the Simpsons sets? Are they worth it? They were only 35 bucks, while seasons like the Sopranos were 70 bucks or so, which made the simpsons seem like a bargin to me!

Also, does anyone have the Ultimate Toy Box version of Toy Story and Two Story 2? Is it still in production?