Do Aliens Exist?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I was reading "Ask Marilyn" yesterday, and I was a bit disgruntled by the following exchange:

"I'm 7 years old. I watch the History Channel show about UFOs sometimes. Are there such things as aliens?

No, Dear. TV shows and movies are filled with such silly stuff. Some people like to believe in creepy things. Plus, they don't know much about science. So be sure to study science in school. That's where you'll learn what makes sense and what makes nonsense."

Does this strike you as excessively condescending? And who is she to say definitively that aliens do not exist? Anyway, what do you guys think? Are there aliens out there? I'm undecided, but I tend to think it's a decent possibility. Otherwise, as they said in the movie "Contact," it seems like it would be an awful waste of space...
Erin

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I read that too. I didn't like the way she put it. But it's very hard to touch upon that subject w/o bringing your own belief system into it.

I happen to believe that there is life on other planets, not necessarily on the planets we know of, but far out in the cosmos. I really don't believe they have ever come to Earth.

I'm sure Marilyn is going to get some backlash from that.

Beebers

Reaction score
Dear Marilyn:

No, dear. Seven-year-olds asking good questions should not be patronized or condescended to. Nor the worthwhile questionings of anyone of any age. Perhaps all those brains have gone to your head.

Signed,

Creepy Thing

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Dear Marilyn:

No, dear. Seven-year-olds asking good questions should not be patronized or condescended to. Nor the worthwhile questionings of anyone of any age. Perhaps all those brains have gone to your head.

Signed,

Creepy Thing
Well put, Beebers. :attitude: :crazy:
Erin

Gloworm

Reaction score
I think the answer depends on what you count as Aliens. Do they have to be intelligent? How do you define intelligent?
I think that some form of life just HAS to be out there but whether it's 'intelligent' or not is debatable.
Glo

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Gonzo and his kind are proof that aliens exist. Dr. Marilyn needs to broaden her horizons!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I say, "why not?" It think it's awfully self-centerd (on a global level) to be utterly convinced without any room for error that there are no other beings of any kind elsewhere in the universe. Just because we haven't seen something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Do aliens exist? Yes they do. Visit my family relatives during the holidays. You'd think they came from the mothership.

ryan