Do Folks Do This To You..?

Larxene

Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of negative reactions from parents and other adults since I began actively collecting Sesame Street stuff again. I'm getting the vibe that some of these folks are actually offended and think I'm taking away these CDs, toys and records from kids by buying them for myself! The woman who sold me my 70's Kermit at the thift store acted disappointed I was buying him, I was approached three times in FYE and asked if I needed help while I browsed the kids CDs (and they never approach me, I always have to find them) like I was in the wrong section, I was told by one saleslady that Sesame Street was great for kids (her emphisis, not mine) and someone rolled their eyes at me when I said I thought all kids should enjoy Jim Henson's work.

I thought Muppets were for kids and adults, what gives?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
They are for kids and adults. But not everyone realizes that, and I think some just don't understand why older people would be into shows like Sesame Street.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I agree people just don't realize how much fun Henson puppetry potentially is for all ages. Same thing with Disney animation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and Survivor isn't juvenile. It's the same bullcrap over and over. Just don't care what others think. if you look what's popular in the mainstream, it gets much more rediculous than Sesame Street. Don't forget the Lyrics? Nuff said!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Some people think it's weird that I watch SpongeBob, Aqua Teen (loved the movie, btw) and even The Simpsons and Family Guy. It's like, "why are you watching cartoons? Grow up!"

And I agree, Dr. Tooth: like Survivor is intellectually stimulating.:rolleyes:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sorry you got that reaction. I've been pretty lucky to have family and friends who tolerate my interest (for the most part hehe). But I have a friend who said she got the same reaction about Disney, like, "Why are you still watching those?" But I think people who say things like simply don't understand. And it is their loss, hehe. You can't take life too seriously. :wink:

The people who make these shows and movies (both Disney and Muppets, and others) are artists who pour all their talent and skill into their work. You can often tell deeper, more meaningful stories through kids media, rather than adult media. Adult media tends to shy away from moral messages or being too silly and corny.

Although, I admit, I have often felt guilty when searching for the more rare and obscure Muppet merchandise. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to death when I find them and obviously want to keep them, especially if I ever have kids. But on the other hand, there are kids right now who would still enjoy them and I don't want to hoard everything like a big stuffy museum (no offence to museums, I love them!). If I'm really a Muppets fan, I wouldn't want to keep these things from kids, especially when they are so rare.
So it's conflict for me, I try to be careful when I do go "treasure" hunting, so to speak. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's like that thing I posted a while about how society looks down on you if you go to conventions and dress up as Naruto or Spiderman, but you're a hero if you go to every single game and dress up like a moron and paint your stomache. It's the hypocracy of the "Mainstream." I make references to obscure stuff all the time, and people give me odd looks. I just don't let it bother me, cuz everything I see that's mainstream looks like it was created by braindead little kids. It's all very Juvenile. If people think AFV is funny, then I don't want to be part of that. I'm glad I love Muppets, Kinnikuman, Inspector Gadget, Ninja Turtles, and all that stuff.

Problem is not to let it bother you. Heck, with no one performing them, even Oscar the Grouch's puppet has more talent than half the music "Stars" today.

Larxene

Reaction score
It's just mildly irritating. I've dealt with similiar attitudes for years as a My Little Pony and other toy collector but I thought of all the things in the world, folks would understand a love of The Muppets and not look down their noses at you or make snide remarks about it or treat you like you're stealing toys from children (I hate that the most. Who says I won't share my finds with a neighborhood or family child at some point in my life? Why doesn't my inner child count?).

I agree. Stuff like Survivor that celebrates folks backstabbing, lying and tricking each other for prizes is just juvenille but for some reason openly accepted (My mom is big into those shows yet is reluctant to watch Sesame Street with me even though I know she -really- enjoys it). At least I'm not alone! Muppets Forever!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Stuff like Survivor that celebrates folks backstabbing, lying and tricking each other for prizes is just juvenille but for some reason openly accepted
Agreed, this is a typical case of, if liking the Muppets is "wrong", I don't want to be "right." Lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's just mildly irritating. I've dealt with similiar attitudes for years as a My Little Pony and other toy collector
If you're a dude, you might get some funny looks if you collect My Little Pony anyway :wink: just kidding.

Anyway, Yeah, Things like Survivor and The Singing Bee celebrate backstabbing treasonousness and outright stupidity. I'd rather watch a million hours of Elmo's World than one second of reality TV. I also have a rant about how the Biggest Loser pretends to be an inspiration story, but it was created by thin people to make fun of fat people by having them do humiliating things and call it "excersize" (mud wrestling may be excersize, but it's not something I'd do on TV), but that's another story.

Even MOZ was less embarassing to watch than anything on TV.