Do You Know Muppet Fans In Real Life?

beaker

Reaction score
I've opined about this ad naseum before, so forgive me...it just seems like running across or finding even casual Muppet fans offline(heck, even online) is a rather tough proposal. Sure, I always see people out and about wearing Kermit/Animal/Cookie Monster/Oscar/Sesame shirts or hats they sell at Hot Topic, Kohl's, Walmart, Target and Spencers. But other than myself and my family, I can't say I've ever run across big Muppet fans.

What's interesting is how huge the fandom and passion is both on and offline for much newer and smaller franchises. I remember when Farscape had an unstoppable army on and offline of fans. "Brown coats", or Firefly/Serenity fans have a strong presence. I go to an awful lot of "geek" related conventions(anime, comic book, sci fi, video game, etc) and there's so many passionate geeks for so many tv shows(from Dr Who to Dr Horrible) and everything in between. And Im pretty sure, if you peeked inside the home of virtually every middle aged woman in America, you'd find a whole bunch of Disneyana knick knacks. But Muppet Show characters...aw, that seems to be very rare.

People always smile when I wear my Beaker or Fraggle Rock shirt, or see my Muppet pins or when I wear my Muppet beanie hats. But have you ever met offline or know someone who is a big Muppet fan, or even a casual Muppet fan?

Other than attending Muppetfest back when, I really can't recall ever meeting someone who could be described as being a casual/hardcore fan.

In a way, maybe it makes it more special/rarer? Like were in a special club, a "stonecutters guild", a secret club house with special hand shakes and decoder rings? Because that rare time you *do* find a Muppet fan, it makes it way more cool than...say running into a fan of Star Wars or Harry Potter(which while being awesome in their own right, are quite ubiquitous things) For something thats been around for 55 years delighting and entertaining people worldwide, its strange that the actual fandom for it(us) is rather...well, underground and small.

For me, running into someone who not only loves Fraggle Rock and Muppet Show but has the box sets as well as the Muppet films and various merchandise...now that would be super rad.
I can imagine college is pretty much the best place one could find such silly creatures.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Whenever I see someone wearing any Henson character shirts, I always comment on how awesome it is. They give a genuine thanks, but it's always just in passing, so we don't get to have a full-on conversation.

When Disney held their auditions a few years ago, I met up with MC Member Frogster. He and his cousin and I stayed at the same hotel, shared a rented car, met up with several other MC members (including Kevin and WOE!), and generally had a great time; attended the Henson Co. event at the TV & Radio center, got pics with Lisa Henson, went to DCA, good times. It was so cool hanging out with so many Henson fans! :excited:

Afterwards, I helped him out with eBay, collecting a ton of Palisades Muppets. Everything was great for a while, but unfortunately I ended up being taken for a ride, and am still out 200 bucks all these years later. :sympathy: I'm not as angry as I once was, but it still really hurts that this happened with a Muppet-made friend, someone I thought I was going to be life-long friends with.

BUT, that doesn't mean I'll never make friends with another Muppet fan, definitely not. I love nothing more than to talk Muppets, Star Wars, Disney, and other favorite movies, books, and tv shows with like-minded people!
:big_grin:
Anthony

beaker

Reaction score
Whenever I see someone wearing any Henson character shirts, I always comment on how awesome it is. They give a genuine thanks, but it's always just in passing, so we don't get to have a full-on conversation.
Given how ubiquitous Sesame related shirts are, I generally just smile...but, if someone is wearing a Muppet related, or a Labyrinth or Dark Crystal shirt; I definitely have to complement them on it. Unfortunately, with any chance encounter(of someone who digs your band/tv show/cartoon/etc shirt or you like their outfit) it often may not lead to anything in way of a friendship. A lot of people have a quota on friends and or have a thing against befriending people they meet randomly(tho I think that's some of the coolest ways of meeting in this crazy zany world!) If I see a cute girl in a Henson related shirt, well it'd be criminal for me not to say hey!

When Disney held their auditions a few years ago, I met up with MC Member Frogster. He and his cousin and I stayed at the same hotel, shared a rented car, met up with several other MC members (including Kevin and WOE!), and generally had a great time; attended the Henson Co. event at the TV & Radio center, got pics with Lisa Henson, went to DCA, good times. It was so cool hanging out with so many Henson fans!
Oh excellent! Sounds similar to the random fun I had with fellow MC'ers at Muppetfest in Santa Monica.

Afterwards, I helped him out with eBay, collecting a ton of Palisades Muppets. Everything was great for a while, but unfortunately I ended up being taken for a ride, and am still out 200 bucks all these years later. :sympathy: I'm not as angry as I once was, but it still really hurts that this happened with a Muppet-made friend, someone I thought I was going to be life-long friends with.
Mmm, Im sorry...I try never to mix finances with friendship, tho I still owe my friend a bunch of money for concert tickets:smile:
I find ebay a big ripoff and a well that's long dried up, so Ive stopped selling on there. I pretty much had the entire Palisades Muppet figure collection and then gave most of them away due to lack of space. But maybe it was a misunderstanding? I like to think people just miscommunicate and sometimes things arent malicious

BUT, that doesn't mean I'll never make friends with another Muppet fan, definitely not. I love nothing more than to talk Muppets, Star Wars, Disney, and other favorite movies, books, and tv shows with like-minded people!
:big_grin:
Anthony
It's amazing how sometimes, no matter how old we are; we are still in love with or feel comforted and inspired...passionate even, about things we grew up with. I sometimes wonder if I have too many passions, though retro gaming, Muppets, sci fi films, animation and 80's toys seems to be a constant theme.

Btw, I totally am hoping Disney puts together an official Muppet celebration weekend at Disneyland; but if not I say D23 weekend in Anaheim should be marked by a big Muppet fan gathering!

beau

Reaction score
Honestly, I've never met anyone that is. Or if they are, they're not saying anything.

I've gotten compliments for my Elmo hat, but as you said, stuff like that is everywhere, so it's not really the same.

beaker

Reaction score
Honestly, I've never met anyone that is. Or if they are, they're not saying anything.

I've gotten compliments for my Elmo hat, but as you said, stuff like that is everywhere, so it's not really the same.
Yeah it's weird, I walked out of Spencers after purchasing a new furry Animal hat, and not 30 seconds after putting it on already about 3 or 4 people passing by made comments.

So I think it's a good sign, and that there's a chance the movie and promotion next year will do really well; and connect with people. And bring people back to being Muppet fans.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I know people who appreciate the Muppets IRL, but as for being as hardcore as a fan as I am - not so much.

beaker

Reaction score
I know people who appreciate the Muppets IRL, but as for being as hardcore as a fan as I am - not so much.
Oh even just in passing....people who at least have one or two Muppet dvds in their collection, perhaps even Fraggle Rock. People who have one Muppet related article of clothing or merchandise.

But people's eyes do light up when they see you wearing Muppet stuff, its nice.

Im glad too, Kohls, Target, Walmart , Disney Store and Spencers all have Muppet shirts(even if its mostly Kermit and Animal)

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
But maybe it was a misunderstanding? I like to think people just miscommunicate and sometimes things arent malicious.
If only my man, if only. :sympathy:
beaker said:
It's amazing how sometimes, no matter how old we are; we are still in love with or feel comforted and inspired...passionate even, about things we grew up with. I sometimes wonder if I have too many passions, though retro gaming, Muppets, sci fi films, animation and 80's toys seems to be a constant theme.

Btw, I totally am hoping Disney puts together an official Muppet celebration weekend at Disneyland; but if not I say D23 weekend in Anaheim should be marked by a big Muppet fan gathering!
It IS amazing, and you can NEVER have too many passions brother! :big_grin:

I'd love a Muppet weekend at Disney too, but... it's gotta be during the second week of next month, cuz that's when we're going! Ha ha. Last time we were there, I was carrying around my big Fozzie plush I just bought outside of MV3D, and I got a whole lot of compliments, even from cast members! Though one dude did call him Rowlf I think, but at least they knew Rowlf's name! :smile:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i think i know one or 2 members here outside the computer...ive puppeteered with atleast one

1000 POSTS! YES LET IT RAIN DOWN FREDDY J FROG AND SCRAPSTV CONFETTI

jrhatshepsut

Reaction score
Besides myself and my two sisters, I do work with some people that are Muppets fans. I even love going to Hallmark and seeing what new Muppets ornaments are out. I missed out on getting the new Animal one.
Anywhoo, we have had great talks about which of The Muppet Shows are our favorites.