1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Do you remember the Secret Life of Toys?

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Rachel, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

A series called "The Secret Life of Toys" that was around in the mid-eighties? All I remember is that there was a stuffed tiger called Rugby and it was about these toys who came to life and had their own adventures when they were alone. It had a spin off movie called "The Christmas Toy" also.

Anyone else remember this?
  2. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

yes, the teddy bear had a facelift, and Mew had no wheels
  3. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

I remeber that show. I think it reran on nick back when they had all the muppet stuff. Too bad they got rid of it. At least the muppet children shows were entertaining. Maybe I just got too old but some of this new stuff is aweful.
  4. MikeBatesmen

MikeBatesmen New Member

I actually thought the series came later.

The doll was different too. In the movie she was Apple and then on the show she became Cherry. Its actually re-running on ABCKids if you get it. They also have Bear in the Big Blue House, The Hoobs, Seasme Street, and Construction Site which was Henson's Bob the Builder, before Bob the Builder came out.
  5. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Mike ---

ABCKids is running Henson shows?? Do you get it?!?

I love "A Christmas Toy," and I love that which I remember from "The Secret Life of Toys." I believe the series was a spin-off of the movie though, Rachel.

Mike, if you do have ABCKids and are able to tape the show, email me ASAP. I am very good with deal making when it comes to Muppet material. ;)

-Matt
  6. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

The Christmas Toy was a 1 hour tv special.
  7. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Eh, yeah you are correct. I was just going with the flow of the thread really, but yes, it is a special, rather than a movie.

At any rate, Mr. Batesman don't let further thread chatter hinder your emailing me! :D

-Matt
  8. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

I remember The Secret Life of Toys & The Christmas Toy.It reminded me sort of Raggedy Anne & Andy A Musical Adventure,where the toys come to life. I liked Mew.

Here's a plot summary for Secret Life of Toys:
    A group of toys (including wise old Balthasar the bear, 'plush' Rugby the tiger, Raisin the doll, and Mew, the cat's toy mouse) come alive while the children are away, having adventures and living life by a strict set of rules - first of which is "Never let the children know you can move."

Here is The Christmas Toy plot summary:
    When no people are around, the toys still play in the playroom. But since a toy will be frozen forever if a person catches it out of position, they have to be very careful. It's Christmas Eve, and Rugby the Tiger remembers how he was the Christmas Toy last year, and thinks he's going to be unwrapped again. And it's up to Apple the Doll, whom Rugby supplanted as favorite toy, to tell him what's in store. But Rugby won't believe her, and tries to get into the Christmas package and lets Meteora, Queen of the Asteroids loose. Unfortunately, she doesn't know she's a toy, and thinks she's landed among aliens. And it's up to Apple, Mew (the Cat's toy mouse), and the other toys to get Rugby out of the box and Meteora back in it before they're found and frozen.
  9. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Good description Janice. This was one of my favorites when I was little. Haven't seen it available for a few years now. When the series started, they also changed the little mouse character, he didn't have arms in the special, but they added them for the series. Great, great movie, not bad at all as a show either!
  10. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I remember enjoying The Christmas Toy when I was a kid. And the Secret Life of Toys was okay too. But I wish they would've kept Apple in it though. And I was also disappointed that Steve Whitmire wasn't voicing Mew like he did in the special.

But I'm glad Dave Goelz was there to do Rugby and Ditz the Clown just like in the special. And Jerry Nelson came back to do Balthazar the Bear. And Jerry also played the kids' father on the show too. Even though his face was never shown.
  11. Land Strider

Land Strider New Member

Re: Secret Life of Toys

Wow, did "The Secret Life of Toys" really air that long ago? I loved to watch it on the Disney Channel when I was younger, and still remember the theme song. But I had forgotten about it when it stopped airing, until "Toy Story" came out, and I was trying to remember why the idea of toys coming to life seemed so familiar. Ah-ha!...The Secret Life of Toys!

I'll have to check to see if I get ABCKids, because I'd love to see it again.

-Kim
  12. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I've always thought "Toy Story" reminded me on "The Secret Life of Toys" and "The Christmas Toy." I too used to watch it on the Disney Channel when I was younger. Man in the early to the mid-90s the Disney Channel was littered with Henson shows they even aired the animated Fraggle Rock.
  13. Joggy

Joggy Member

I have almost all the episodes of Secret Life. I actually really like it... it almost has that warmth from Fraggle Rock.

There were six main characters: Balthazar, the old and wise teddy bear. Rugby Tiger. Mew, the little cat toy. Raisin, the tomboy doll (in my opinion Louise Gold's best character ever). Ditz, the dimwitted clown. And Hortence, the always worrying rocking horse (a beautiful puppet!)

Some of my favorite episodes are "Disappearing Ditz", in which Magician Rugby makes Ditz 'disappear' but has trouble making him appear again; "Who Shares Wins", where Mew becomes invisible for the other toys because the children didn't share him; and "I'm Gonna Tell On You", where Raisin accidentally tapes over the children's cassette tape story and Bratty Rat (Jerry Nelson) threatens to tell on her - after all, she broke a very important 'nono': "Never destroy anything belonging to the children!"

Actually, there were two episodes where Mew had a high pitched voice like Steve's. But that was probably too hard on his performer's voice, so he gave him the mouse voice that he'd use on Mopatop's Shop's Moosey Mouse later on.
  14. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

It remeber that it was on Disney channel.
  15. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

I remember this show well and it used to be on ABC TV here in Australia (different to american ABC) a few years back. I didnt even realise it was a henson show til a few years ago!
  16. BarkingSprocket

BarkingSprocket New Member

I Just made a Thread about the Secret Life Of Toys didn't see your thread.

According to TV Tome the show ran for one season and it was in the 90s not the 80s in 1994.

If I remember correctly it as shown on BBC2 in the UK in the afternoons but I might be wrong.

Anyone know why it was cancelled :confused:
  17. Muppet Crypts

Muppet Crypts New Member

18. VIsraWrats

VIsraWrats New Member

19. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

spin off/dvd

That is so weird, i was sure it was vice versa- certainly in the uk, the movie/special came out first, and then the tv show, but that could be a UK thing.
    YOu can get the movie now on dvd with a muppet family christmas.....no doubt u all know this, but hey, be nice, im new :p
  20. SweetMayhem

SweetMayhem New Member

The Secret Life of Toys was a great show. It came almost a decade after The Christmas Toy. I remember watching this on the Disney Channel. I can't believe there were only 13 episodes! What a great show. I would always try to catch my toys coming to life after this program. I even had an old teddy bear who I pretended was in charge of all the others just like Balthazaar. Toy Story came out a year later.