Do you think that Sesame Workshop could show some golden oldies?

Katzi428

Reaction score
(or as :grouchy: would say "moldy oldies?")
I'm not referring to the shows themselves. I'm referring to some of the segments that today's SS generation have never seen (and a few of you from the 80s might have never seen either,even though 2 of my examples are on You Tube)
3 examples:
1) Today's Secret Drawing (this isn't on You Tube) Gary Owens (formerly of "Laugh In") would say in a hushed voice what the secret drawing was. Then the kids would tell the artist what to draw They had to be specific though,otherwise the artist would draw something silly. So after the artist was done drawing the kids would ask Gary Owens,"What is it?" He'd come up with about 3 wrong (and funny) answers before getting it right (There was a fireman,a policeman, an astronaut a nurse and the letter M). They could do new ones instead of using Gary Owens old ones (so they don't have to pay him for the royalties)
2) 30 dots (this is on You Tube) 30 yellow dots on a blue background & every so often the last dot misbehaves.
3) "I've got a mind...and my mind helps me..with everything I do or .. see!"(this is also on You Tube) (and they could do a new voice for this one too so they don't need to pay royalties to the guy that does the voice for this skit)
So what do you all think?

Drtooth

Reaction score
They'd have to have time to show stuff they're supposed to show first. They cram so much into a <50 minute period that it's too much. So much that we can't even have regular character sketches anymore.

If they were to do any of those, they'd probably even have to reanimate them for HD... which is ridiculous, since they show a LOT of non-HD filler and EW is still the same FF format it's always been but that HAS to be there :rolleyes:

Katzi428

Reaction score
They'd have to have time to show stuff they're supposed to show first. They cram so much into a <50 minute period that it's too much. So much that we can't even have regular character sketches anymore.
Yeah...didn't think of that.Too bad.So much for my idea. When my brother & sister were younger (I'm 10 & 12 years older than them respectively) they thought that the "I've got a mind" guy was funny.

Drtooth said:
If they were to do any of those, they'd probably even have to reanimate them for HD... which is ridiculous, since they show a LOT of non-HD filler and EW is still the same FF format it's always been but that HAS to be there :rolleyes:
Too bad EW can't be made into a half hour program itself.Darn that furry red menace!:mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too bad EW can't be made into a half hour program itself.Darn that furry red menace!:mad:
It's not like none of us wanted that... it's just a complete and utter impossibility (unless they made SS a half hour show as well and just made it appoint to air them in the same hour block), as PBS barely even wants SS on the channel as it is.

The problem in lies with the fact they not only have a block format, but they have to cram so much into a shrinking time period as well. Now, I could see them remaking those segments with digital animation or something... they're short enough.

My concern is that we don't see enough Muppet content that isn't specifically a recurring block format segment. And that;s what annoys me the most.

Katzi428

Reaction score
It's not like none of us wanted that... it's just a complete and utter impossibility (unless they made SS a half hour show as well and just made it appoint to air them in the same hour block), as PBS barely even wants SS on the channel as it is.

The problem in lies with the fact they not only have a block format, but they have to cram so much into a shrinking time period as well. Now, I could see them remaking those segments with digital animation or something... they're short enough.

My concern is that we don't see enough Muppet content that isn't specifically a recurring block format segment. And that;s what annoys me the most.
Yeah...I understand.
And it's too bad on PBS that they barely want SS.They've had SS for 40 years & change. What's so wrong with that?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe PBS barely wanting SS is a bit too harsh to put it... They still care its on, just... you never see more than one airing of that specific show a day like you used to. Now, I understand they have a bunch of other shows they like to show through the day... Barney got mercifully bumped to a once a day showing (meaning it's cancellation is probably immanent) but it seems they care more about their newer stuff and air that stuff relentlessly during the day.

There would be no way PBS would open up another half hour to an hour long show, especially when that means they can't show a third or fourth episode of something else. Not that I don't extol the praises of Curious George... but there's also NOT call for that hour block my station has that shows the previous day's first episode a second time in the second half hour.