1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Does Animal seem to be more tame now a days?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by mupcollector1, Jul 12, 2012.

1. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

What's so amazing about Animal is just how primitive he truly is. Frank said that his character is basically 2 Demention or 1 demention. Sex, Food, Drums and Pain or something like that. lol

I was just watching this TV appearance, one of my all time favorites. I've had it on VHS years ago and transferred it to DVD a few years ago. Part of me was thinking that there's something about the characters when their original performers performed them and the replacements today as talented and great as they are, it's just not the same in my own opinion. I'm not sure if that was the right way to put it or not but it's like there's something about The Muppets around Jim's time and the original perfomers that had this special thing about them. I'm trying to say it without seeming negitive because I think the replacements again are very talented and doing a great job kepting them alive.

Anyway. Part of me is thinking right now focusing about Animal. He used to be so wild and out of control back in the classic days.

I just read this quote a minute ago from Frank "You Don't Mess With Animal, he eats glass man." lol

I tried to look up this clip online but I can't find it. Rats. I would try to go through my collection and try to upload it myself but I have this thing about copyright infrigment and you know..

One of the Muppet Video Series in 1985, Revue, Treasure or Moments...I can't remember. At the very end Kermit and Fozzie comment about the Rina Moranno spot with Animal and Kermit says "And like always Animal makes a mess of things". Animal comes running into the attic and just running around the place breaking everything and Kermit's trying to tame him. lol I'd love to see that clip again. One of these days, I might write to Disney ask if they can release those combos again. They were great. But because of Music copyright and all that, same reason why Seasons 4 and 5 are taking a long time. lol

I remember Floyd was the only one who could tame Animal. What did he use to say? "Back, Neil, Sit" and Animal would repete. lol

But yeah, to me it seems that Animal seems pretty tame now. It's a shame. I would love for him to eat another TV Dinner (Literally a Television Set) and go to his leisure delights of Alagator Wrestling again. lol
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

That anger management class I heard did wonders for him. "IN CONTROL" :halo:"NO DRUMS!!! JACK BLACK SAID NO DRUMS!!!"
    SSLFan and Walter like this.
  3. mupcollector1

LOL I did have that in mind for some reason. lol Still to this day, I'm still laughing at how Jack Black got the John Clease treatment in the new movie. When I first heard Jack Black was going to make a cameo in the movie I was thinking "Ugh No, this is a nightmare!" because I never really thought Jack Black was funny because most of his original work besides being an actor was very sexual blue humor I didn't find Amusing. Then when he was an actor, he was all over the place almost like "What's the world gone too." But when I went to the movie seeing The Muppets kidnapping him and tourchering him with bad jokes and strinking his head I was laughing thinking "Have I died and gone to heaven? Is this a dream or is this actually happening in the movie, YES YES YES!" cheering silently. lol

But yeah, Animal liked doing crazy things when he wasn't angry. Going hunting with a Bazzzoka. lol Well at least his soft side is still there with bunny rabbits. lol I think one of the final times Frank performed his Muppet characters was on the Muppet Show Season 2 DVD special features and there's a point where Animal says "BUNNY RABBIT!" then the interviewer says "Do you like bunny rabbits?" "Like Bunny Rabbit" "Do you want a big bunny rabbit?" "Small Bunny Rabbit. Pleeese" lol So cute. lol Even on the Jim Henson Hour Pitch Tape he was going crazy over the book of The Tale of The Bunny Picnic. lol
  4. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Don't forget rabbit hunting, bowling.
    I was listening to MC Radio, and heard Animal yell "QUIET!"
  5. mupcollector1

Oh yeah, underhand bowling. lol Dancing with Carol Burnett and sneaking under her dress for a second, she hits him "You really are an Animal" "HAH HAH HAH HAH!" :halo:
  6. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

So far I think it was only for the latest movie. Maybe he'll comeback to his wild self soon. Especially since he went back to drumming. :halo:
    Walter and Duke Remington like this.
  7. mupcollector1

I'd love to see more of his craziness. Like how he did with attacking the con man in Muppets Take Manhattan "BAD MAN!" lol And how he made a mess of The Muppet Show attic in one of the Muppet Video combos around 1985, Eating TV Dinners, and Singing Wild Thing altering the lyrics a bit. lol
    Walter and Hayley B like this.
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That's from The Muppet Revue.

And you can see that clip again now:
    mupcollector1 and Hayley B like this.
  9. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Actually, those pieces are old. They were taped in 1999 and were intended to air on Odyssey as part of the promotion of "Muppets From Space". It was just before Frank officially retired from performing his Muppet Show characters.
  10. Pinkflower7783

Animal is just getting old. Lol!
  11. Duke Remington

I disagree. Muppets don't really age.
  12. Pinkflower7783

I was kidding...d( ̄  ̄)
  13. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I've noticed that The Swedish Chef has been tamed down. Remember when he'd chase chickens and turkeys around with meat cleavers? Now he hugs chickens. It's a good thing Gonzo doesn't seem to notice.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  14. Pinkflower7783

Maybe not so much the Muppets but maybe it's the puppeteers that have mellowed out over the years. Lol! Of course I better mention "I'm kidding."
  15. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

To quote Weird Al Yankovic, "I'll be mellow when I'm dead!"
    LouisTheOtter likes this.
  16. Walter

Walter Active Member

I think Disney kind of waters down his cleaver throwing just a tad..you know...because of all that "Impressionable" stuff in the legal department...:hungry::cluck:
  17. Duke Remington

No, they don't.
  18. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that he so much tamed down, but I do think he acts a bit different. Like you said, we're never going to see Frank's Animal again, now it's Eric's Animal, and it's obvious that each performer has a different interpretation of each character.

I'm glad he quit chasing stuff with cleavers...I had too many of my friends asking me who the guy who runs around chopping people's heads off is...(seriously...)
  19. mupcollector1

Well I'm sure Dr. Bunsen Honeydew would wip up something. If 5 hour energy excists in every store in America and if Muppet Labs can make Animal a giant in The Muppet Movie, anything is impossible. Unless Beaker Explodes when he is forced beyond is will to be Honeydew's Ginnipig of course. (laughing Bunsen style, sss, sss, sss, lol)
  20. mupcollector1

It does seem like Hollywood and the media is becoming more and more serious these days. But at least Crazy Harry got to do a few explosions in the movie without a hardhat or explanation for what he does best. lol But I won't mind him coming up when there's a bad pun again.
    Crazy Harry: "HEHHEHHEH ,did somebody say blast?" BOOM! Kermit: Harry! You can't keep blowing people up when people say just about anything! Crazy Harry: "Did someone say just about anything?" BOOM! lol Classic. :crazy:
    Walter likes this.