Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Can we please just get back to the original topic Redsonga?

I think we covered the Mr. Rogers piece already.
I wasn't talking about him in my last post actually, I meant 70's and 80's Sesame Street episodes...

Anyway, I don't hide my fandom but no one really asks me about it ether.
I'm not one of those 'mature' fans that likes to watch the episodes for the muppet players ether, I just like it for the characters that they play and the old human characters I remember not the actors behind them, so in that way I guess even a fan here would think I was weird:insatiable: .
But is the same with movies for me, if I really like a character I see them more as that character rather than an actor playing them. I mean, I know they have talent etc etc, but...
There is something very sad to me about ever seeing them as 'just' puppets when they are so alive in their own way :stick_out_tongue:

Convincing John

Reaction score
There is something very sad to me about ever seeing them as 'just' puppets when they are so alive in their own way :stick_out_tongue:
This comes up sometimes in documentaries, books, etc. People forget about the Muppeteers there and just believe in the characters totally without thinking about it. Guest stars on the Muppet Show have noted it. Carol Burnett said once: "When Kermit is up there, staring you in the face, you believe in him completely. I feel that Kermit has a soul. As for Animal, I had to dance with Animal and I had no difficulty in believing in him either because I was terrified of Animal!"

Kevin Clash mentioned that kids just see the Muppeteers as "people who carry their friends around". In one of the Fraggle Rock DVDs, people forget that the voices behind the Gorgs are off set (with those mitten things). Scripts were sometimes given to the Gorgs instead of Jerry, Cheryl and Richard!:stick_out_tongue:

Do you have Caroll Spinney's book? There's a beautiful scene with Big Bird and Snuffy where they say goodbye (supposedly) forever. I don't want to spoil the story if you haven't read it, but you should. I think you'd like it. It deals with this, too.

So I don't think you're alone in just enjoying the characters and forgetting about the Muppeteers. Lots of people do it...guest stars, adults, even Muppeteers!

You may want to check this clip out, too. I often forget that it's Caroll in this clip and just listen to what Big Bird says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gydgBIpf0

Convincing John

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There really is no comparison between the classic material and the more recent material (imo), but the non hard core fans don't always see much of a difference. That's why they think some fans are weird, hehe.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
Ha! I have a good excuse - I have kids under 5 - U are all wEEEIIIRRRRDDD! :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Haha, cute. :wink:

I have a good excuse too. It's a free country! :attitude: ::hums America, the Beautiful::

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ha! I have a good excuse - I have kids under 5 - U are all wEEEIIIRRRRDDD! :smile:
I remember when the target age for SS was under 12. Something is just so wrong with the 'not weird' to 'still' watch age getting lower and lower :grouchy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Though, on the bright side, all this trouble lately does encourage audiences to think for themselves, instead of relying on the mainstream for their entertainment. :wink:

stardustdanny

Reaction score
Yep ,I know just how many of you guies feel. When I tell people I watch SS they look at me like I am an alian. Some people even make fun of my muppet lunch box .The only thing I dont get is many of the people who make fun of me still watch Care Bears witch isint when you think about it isint relly that diffrent .

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I do find a difference between SS and car bares. Just thought I would point that put, heh...:wink: