Does anyone have a grandparent that has dementia ?

scooterfan360

Reaction score
does anyone have a grandparent with dementia ? if so, how do you deal with their outbursts ?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My nana, but she's in a home with around-the-clock care. However, there are times where she gets belligerent, and will accuse somebody of trying to kill her or rape her or something else along those lines, and usually the personnel will contact either my mom or my aunt, just to inform them what's going on.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
My nana, but she's in a home with around-the-clock care. However, there are times where she gets belligerent, and will accuse somebody of trying to kill her or rape her or something else along those lines, and usually the personnel will contact either my mom or my aunt, just to inform them what's going on.
well my grandfather lives with me and my mom, and he is really being difficult with my mom, he will not listen to her, when she tells him to sit up so his legs wouldn't get stiff, and his intestines won't get twisted, and cause his hernia to swell up. he will pick arguments, and accuse people of touching his things, when no one really has any interest in them, and he throws fits if no one is quick to do what ever he asked them to do, and there is other things that he does , too many to name, but they are annoying, and very hard to tolerate.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is he not in a home where he can have around-the-clock care by medical professional who are trained to deal with this? Or, is he still clear-headed enough to refuse? Because that's actually a law in this country: if an Alzheimer's or dementia patient is still clear-headed enough to refuse to be placed in a home, they legally have to comply with the refusal.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Why is he not in a home where he can have around-the-clock care by medical professional who are trained to deal with this? Or, is he still clear-headed enough to refuse? Because that's actually a law in this country: if an Alzheimer's or dementia patient is still clear-headed enough to refuse to be placed in a home, they legally have to comply with the refusal.
well we are working on getting home care for him, i just want to know how to deal with his outbursts until then.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another way to get him into a home is if he proves to be a fall risk, or if he proves to be a physical threat to himself or someone else. If he ever tried to physically harm himself, that could be enough for them to clear him.

God bless the people that work in nursing homes. I have a fair degree of patience, but working in an environment like that is overwhelming. People can get belligerent, violent, scream all sorts of obscenities at you, fun stuff. If you can last a week working there, you're eligible for sainthood.