Does anyone remember this cartoon?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
There was a cartoon about a cat and a mouse, which I'd say goes back to the mid-80's. In this cartoon, it starts off with a cat chasing a mouse while bongos and a mouth-organ are heard. Then the mouse runs into a hole and the cat bumps itself. Then it thumps the wall and the mouse thumps back. This goes on for a fair while and the cat puts on a pair of boxing gloves and knocks the wall down. The mouse does not notice what has happened and boxes the cat's face. Then seeing what is standing behind it it takes off again with the cat once again in hot pursuit. The mouse runs into another hole and the cat once again runs into the wall.

What I have been wondering all these years is what on Earth was this cartoon segment trying to teach?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
It's another one of those "repeat the beat" cartoons that the Hubleys did. The other one I know of is the one where a penguin on a cloud repeats the rhythms of a drum, a saw on a log, a typewriter and a door knock, and at the end dances to all of them put together, then bows to an applauding audience of seals.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Ah yes, I remember the one with the penguin. BTW, pardon my ignorance but who were the Hubleys?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
John and Faith Hubley were a husband-and-wife team who created several animated bits for SS. More details here.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
playing cat and mouse

That cat and mouse cartoon actually goes way back to the beginning- it's been around for as long as I can remember. It doesn't teach too much besides the mouse imitating the rhythms the cat makes, but still nice to watch.